Notices

Powerless

Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerless

My name is Suzy I am an alcoholic. I went to AA last year thinking I had hit my bottom. I was sober for 2 months. They were great. I wasnt working the programme. I drank. Was sober xmas and new year. My first in 20 years. Was great but again i wasnt working the programme and I drank again. I now know I have truly truly hit bottom and that I truly am a chronic alcholic and addict. I am day 4 sober. I am in the Uk. I am lying in bed next to my daughter and really, I should be dead now. The last week and a half my drinking has gone to another level mixing with xanax pills. I have been hit by a quad bike and hurled in the air. I have fallen off a wall into a basement and whacked my head and back. I have had a police caution. I have days ,not hours, on my calender that i cannot account for. I am signed off sick from work. My daughter was with her dad all these times when she sh9ukd ave been with me or i should have been working but drank and drugged instead. I have been awake for 40 hours. Did not get one ounce of sleep last night. At 4am I started having a panic attack about my head and prayed and begged to God to help me, to let me live, to let me get better. My prayer was answered. I am gping to a meeting in the morning but I know I Am in for a rocky night. I still feel totally wired and just needed to touch base with other alcoholics. I have well and truly surrended and am so ready to work this programme!!!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Snitch! you have plenty of support here on SR. It's been a blessing for me and many others. I'll say a prayer for you. You can do it!

Look forward to hearing about your progress.
Mike
Old 04-25-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Suzy, you’ll find a great place here to start your journey.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I always thought I just wanted to die but last night I realised I want to LIVE!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am glad you decided you wanted to live sober. We're here to help you achieve that.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Suzy,

I'm glad you found us and that you want to stop drinking and work on your recovery.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Congrats on making the decision to stop.

Please consult a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist with substance use disorder experience to help you with withdrawal and subsequent treatment. Adding benzos to the mix worsens the withdrawals and puts people in a higher risk for seizures.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am realising this. Last night could not sleep at all and very panicky and tonight no sleep but calmer however very mild hallucinations. Its horrible.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Please take the advice of MindfulMan who posted just above you. Alcohol withdrawal can present medical issues. Do it! If not for yourself then for your daughter. Stay safe.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Suzy, I'm so glad you found us and joined. You're with great people who understand just what you're going through. I was in similar shape when I came crawing in to SR. Knowing I was no longer alone made all the difference in the world. I have friends here who understand and care. You can reclaim your life and never go back to that horrible situation. You're on your way.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Suzy. Well done on your decision to get sober. You're in the right place. The folks here are very wise, compassionate, understanding and non judgmental. SR has been instrumental in keeping me on my sober path. SR will help you too. Please stay close and post as often as you like. Keep us posted on your progress. I agree with the folks who have recommended medical assistance for your detox. Please consider it. ((HUGS))
Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome.

you CAN.

your life will be better than you ever imagined.

I'm glad you're here.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Suzy!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!!!!! I still cannot sleep but am getting calmer and starting to "feel" sleepy and am having all sorts of epiphanies here! I've alwas been a problem drinker but these last 2 weeks have shown me for the real true alcoholic that i am. That this disease wants me dead and won't stop unless i stop IT. This is the first time I have said with true conviction I am an alcoholic and not winced. All my family know the true extent now of my drinking ie a bottle of wine in the morning and they are all 100% behind me. I have said to my closest friends who again may have known that I, ahem, liked a drink or 2 just as they did but that when i got home I continued till pass out even when I had (such shame) my daughter with me 😢 alcohol wants to take me down and I will not let it. It feels so good to be around people who get it!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you're here and posting, and have a resolve to reclaim your life.

I do hope you get to that meeting. Please do take down some numbers of people who offer them, with a view to contacting so you can start building a sober network of support around you, and start to figure out good potential sponsors. The meetings themselves are not the program. Steps with a sponsor, and being part of keeping the group going (sometimes just in little ways, helping to out chair out, washing up cups at the end of a meeting - these are the program along with the fellowship side of things. And that's no secret. It's there on the AA symbol as the three sides to the triangle. Think of these three things as the three legs of a sobriety stool that you need to get comfy on. Once we start trying to balance on one or two legs of that stool for any extended period we're likely to get uncomfortable and /or fall off it.

Hope you keep reading and posting here as well. Let us know how that meeting goes.

Take care.

BB
Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem aboard Suzy

D
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Please keep us posted. One way or another, withdrawals do end.

Then the real work starts. You don't get sober, you STAY sober.

Once you're physically able, please get some sort of help. Meetings are a good idea and are probably readily available.

Stay strong, and remember that the strongest thing you can do at this point is to ask for help.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, Suzy. I am so glad that you found your way here. I hope you find some rest soon. Big hug.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am alive!! I managed to get about 2 hours sleep last night and I am so GRATEFUL to have been given this 2nd chance. I am going to a meeting at 10.30. Thank you for all your messages of support. They mean EVERYTHING !!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Snitch, new to this site, a few months but I find it to be a great tool in my recovery, I know you will too.