Notices

31 Days alcohol free but struggling with depression

Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KINDLY DELETE MY PROFILE. I CHOOSE NOT TO LIE. LET ME GO. I'M NOT ALLOWED TO PM. HELP ME!

31 Days alcohol free but struggling with depression

Hello,

I have been what I consider to be "problem drinking" during each and every evening for over 10 years now. But drinking overall for over 40 years. The past 10 years I have felt that "uh-oh - I overdid it last night" often during the following day.

I discovered The Sinclair Method through an online group and how wonderful it is to not even crave a drink anymore after only 6 months of Naltrexone, one hour before drinking each day. I never thought it possible. In the past, even considering cutting back caused me to crave more and more. As if my brain was saying, oh no you don't!

I'm happy for the change in my life, the money in my pocket, and my family is very supportive and proud. I feel no sense of pride however; I just took the pill. There was no willpower involved. No strength of character. I don't see that as a bad thing, it's just that I don't deserve credit for discovering a simple way to quit.

Over time, Naltrexone killed the feeling of reward in my brain when I took a drink. I no longer need Naltrexone. It's over for me. I expected to feel great after quitting alcohol.

But I am depressed. I have always been relatively light in spirit. Not hyper-happy or anything, but really no bouts of the blues without good reason like a breakup or something.

I have been reading here that others experience the same thing. I'm just hoping to find a path back to the old me.

I do enjoy cannabis on occasion, but even that has lost it's charm in my current state.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am experiencing the same thing. I thought that after having months of sober time I would feel great. I just can't feel any happiness lately. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been sober for over 26 years.. know what yesterday .. I was so depressed my cat couldn't even make me feel better.. maybe it is something in my brain or just in the DNA.... had dinner and cried myself to sleep.. maybe we just never get to be better.. I don't know.. hugs to all and prayers and cookies and love ardy
Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Couchey and congrats on a month of sobriety.

I don't deal with depression but I am a diagnosed anxiety sufferer. Quitting drinking gave me the ability to start focusing on my anxiety, but the act of quitting itself was not a cure. I needed to accept that my anxiety was a distinct and real problem that needed attention of it's own. Certainly my drinking was an attempt ( failed ) to self -medicate and help with my anxiety, and way back at the beginning it probably did help a little bit. But of course as time wore on the drinking ended up making everything worse.

Have you ever discussed your depression with a counselor or therapist? Depression is a very real and very common problem, but it's also one that is very treatable, even without meds.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that you're depressed and I hope that you speak with your dr or counsellor to find a solution.

Please note that regarding the cannabis, it is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

by no means is getting sober an answer to depression/anxiety, in some cases it can get worse because you don't have the emotional crutch. i would seek out some help.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome and well done for staying sober one full month. After 40 years of drinking that's a great achievement.

Me too anxiety and depression were catalysed by alcohol and drugs. But they were underlying problems.

Over two months sober (this time round) feeling better generally but definitely I have off days ( ups and downs)

I'm not trying to get back to the old me but rather on the path to the new me

Stick around.
V.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Couchey. I'm sorry you've been feeling down. I have good days and bad days regarding depression. Sometimes I blame my sobriety for my depression, but then I think back and I was blaming the alcohol for my depression. . I just want to offer my support and let you know I understand.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Couchey,

Drinking and cannabis were two things I used to try and combat my depression but over the course of 20-30 years they just made things much much worse.

It took a while to get there, but since I've been totally sober my mental health has never been better.

I'm pleased you've found something that you feel works for you but please note TSM is off topic on this site as it's not exclusively an abstinence based approach.

Dee
SR
Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KINDLY DELETE MY PROFILE. I CHOOSE NOT TO LIE. LET ME GO. I'M NOT ALLOWED TO PM. HELP ME!

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
Thank you so much ChloeRose63
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome Couchey and congrats on a month of sobriety.

Have you ever discussed your depression with a counselor or therapist?
Thank you ScottFromWI

I see my DR in a couple of weeks and I will certainly discuss therapy and anti-depressants. I have never been a down person luckily. Always pretty moderate, so I am hoping be able to find a path to recovery that works for me.

Have you tried meds for your anxiety?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
would seek out some help.
Thank you Stride34.

I plan to get help very soon.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I just want to offer my support and let you know I understand.
Thank you so much Rar. I always genuinely appreciate the kindness of strangers.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Couchey View Post
Thank you ScottFromWI

I see my DR in a couple of weeks and I will certainly discuss therapy and anti-depressants. I have never been a down person luckily. Always pretty moderate, so I am hoping be able to find a path to recovery that works for me.

Have you tried meds for your anxiety?
Yes, I have tried meds, somewhat reluctantly. The first one I tried actually made things worse, and the second one had not much of a noticeable effect at all.

I have found that many of the other tools I learned through counseling and reading have been more effective than meds personally. In that list of tools I would include exercise, eating a better diet, cutting down on caffeine and sugars, meditation and practicing mindfulness, and also acceptance that I am simply a more anxious person than others at times.

If you have the ability, I would also highly recommend speaking to a therapist or counselor too. Medical doctors are not always versed well in psychological issues and some tend to just prescribe something like an SSRI right off the get go. That's how I started out and looking back I should have definitely seen a therapist much sooner.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to all for your kindness and empathy!

I understand the forum is setup for abstinence only. While that is most likely the path I will be following (certainly is the plan), I cannot guarantee that.

Frankly this is where the AA dogma leaves me cold. I'm an adult and stuff happens in life. If I can't discuss my life here, and have to skip over no-no topics, then it's a dishonest profile of myself that I am sharing - and this place is not for me.

Admins; please feel free to delete all trace of me here. I can't see an option for me to do that anywhere myself.

I may come back to lurk for advice if I need it but I will not post anymore so I do not need an account.