STRESS - serious stuff and how to deal with it...

Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

STRESS - serious stuff and how to deal with it...

I'm inspired by another poster here and wanted to give the 'cliff notes' version of what I've found today, after talking to my doctor this afternoon.

The stress hormone, cortisol, is public health enemy number one. Scientists have known for years that elevated cortisol levels: interfere with learning and memory, lower immune function and bone density, increase weight gain, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart disease... The list goes on and on.

Chronic stress and elevated cortisol levels also increase risk for depression, mental illness, and lower life expectancy. This week, two separate studies were published in Science linking elevated cortisol levels as a potential trigger for mental illness and decreased resilience

WHAT YOU CAN START DOING:

1. Regular Physical Activity:
Kickboxing, sparring, or a punching bag are terrific ways to recreate the “fight” response by letting out aggression (without hurting anyone), thus reducing cortisol.

Aerobic activities, like walking, jogging, swimming, biking, or riding the elliptical, are great ways to recreate the "flight" outlet and burn up cortisol. A little bit of cardio goes a long way. Just 20 to 30 minutes of activity most days of the week pays huge dividends by lowering cortisol every day and in the long run.

Fear increases cortisol. Regular physical activity will decrease fear by increasing your self-confidence, resilience, and fortitude — which will reduce cortisol. Yoga will have a similar effect, with the added benefits of mindfulness training.

2. Mindfulness and Loving-Kindness Meditation (LKM):
Any type of meditation will reduce anxiety and lower cortisol levels. Simply taking a few deep breaths engages the Vagus nerve which triggers a signal within your nervous system to slow heart rate, lower blood pressure, and decrease cortisol. The next time you feel yourself in a stressful situation that activates your "fight-or-flight" response, take 10 deep breaths, and feel your entire body relax and decompress.

Setting aside 10 to 15 minutes to practice mindfulness or meditation will fortify a sense of calm throughout your nervous system, mind, and brain.

3. Social Connectivity:
Close-knit human bonds — whether it be family, friendship, or a romantic partner — are vital for your physical and mental health at any age. Recent studies have shown that the Vagus nerve also responds to human connectivity and physical touch to relax your parasympathetic nervous system.

The “tend-and-befriend” response is the exact opposite to “fight-or-flight.” The "tend-and-befriend" response increases oxytocin and reduces cortisol. Make an effort to spend real face-to-face time with loved ones whenever you can, but phone calls and even Facebook can reduce cortisol if they foster a feeling of genuine connectivity.

4. Laughter and Levity:

Having fun and laughing reduces cortisol levels. Dr. William Fry is an American psychiatrist who has been studying the benefits of laughter for the past 30 years and has found links to laughter and lowered levels of stress hormones. Many studies have shown the benefits of having a sense of humor, laughter, and levity. Try to find ways in your daily life to laugh and joke as much as possible, and you'll lower cortisol levels.

5. Music:
Listening to music that you love, and fits whatever mood you're in, has been shown to lower cortisol levels. I recently wrote about the wide range of benefits that come from listening to music in a Psychology Today blog titled “The Neuroscience of Music, Mindset, and Motivation.” We all know the power of music to improve mood and reduce stress. Add reducing your cortisol levels as another reason to keep the music playing as a soundtrack of health and happiness in your life.

Here's the link for the entire article. Lotsa good insight in the details that I left out...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...lic-enemy-no-1
Old 04-25-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, yep, yep! This fits my experience to a T as well. Great post!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent - thanks Spinner!!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

cortisol levels

I read this entire post however I cant remember what increased levels of cortisol can lead to?

Ok bad joke yes I've been under stress for years please forgive me.

Good info Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My learning and memory have definitely taken a hit, my BP is up, stomach issues, etc.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
My learning and memory have definitely taken a hit, my BP is up, stomach issues, etc.
Take your DS to the garage and teach him the electric slide