Notices

Help me quit

Old 04-23-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me quit

Hi

I'm on day 2 again and getting cravings really bad. I thought I could stick to weekends but find myself obsessing over a drink.

I'm applying for medical school next year and know I have to quit.

AA doesn't work for me. I believe in God but writing down a list of all my wrongs and admitting I have a defective character is something I can't do.

Are there any alternatives to 12 step programmes?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

welcome aboard

I recommend checking out the Secular Recovery forum here on SR.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

until you're ready to confront your own failings, your own role in your alcoholism and your own admission of a need to improve upon Self....

I can't help you.

I do wish you the best, and I offer you my experience in over 4 years of sobriety should you want it.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Like others have said I also recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

there's some ideas on dealing with cravings here too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

quittings not easy - you may well feel some discomfort for a while, but support definitely helps

with that support and a willingness to make changes in your life that reflect your desire to be sober, I hope you'll be feeling better soon schizodoc

D
Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Schizodoc View Post
... but writing down a list of all my wrongs and admitting I have a defective character is something I can't do.
Why?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi

I'm on day 2 again and getting cravings really bad. I thought I could stick to weekends but find myself obsessing over a drink.

AA doesn't work for me. I believe in God but writing down a list of all my wrongs and admitting I have a defective character is something I can't do.

Welcome back schizodoc. There are certainly lots of alternatives to 12 step programs, AA is merely one of many.

Having said that, i have found that putting limitations on what you will "do" to recover generally doesn't end well. Any recovery method is going to force you to do things you don't want to do and will make you uncomfortable. They will all also require you to admit/accept/acknowledge that you are not able to drink alcohol without consequences.

If you haven't - take a look at this thread, it's a very good read regarding various recovery methods.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

writing down a list of all my wrongs and admitting I have a defective character is something I can't do.
Regardless of AA, why not?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok I'll admit I'm powerless when it comes to alcohol but I don't want to damage my self esteem. My AA sponsor was like there's something wrong with me and there's not. I'm powerless when it comes to alcohol that's all.

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For right now and those cravings, I found that eating something always helps. Usually something sweet like ice cream! Manage HALT. Hunger, anger (anxiety for me), loneliness or being tired.

I really liked Rational Recovery, the AVRT technique.

As always, good idea to check with your Dr.

Best to you and keep posting!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best thing I ever did was to talk to my Catholic priests. Free mental advice and they wil come to you even if you are in asylum. But AA women's group was awesome too. In the mixed meetings men dominate and it took me a moment even to begin to understand what AA is about. Not about to brag but I taught college and university until booze took it away so it was a mystery to me as to what the point was, at first, The concept of AA and The Big Book were created a very long time ago but they rests on spirituality and peer support. There are dozens of other ways to recover, in addition to AA I found a great councilor at local outpatient services and spirituality in jail. That hopefully is not a "yet" you reached. There is ER, your doctor? AA, lots of resources that have been posted here and there is always something great to read. But don't isolate yourself, join the communities that are best for you! Do some yoga if that works for you.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The best thing I ever did was to talk to my Catholic priests. Free mental advice and they wil come to you even if you are in asylum. But AA women's group was awesome too. In the mixed meetings men dominate and it took me a moment even to begin to understand what AA is about. Not about to brag but I taught college and university until booze took it away so it was a mystery to me as to what the point was, at first, The concept of AA and The Big Book were created a very long time ago but they rests on spirituality and peer support. There are dozens of other ways to recover, in addition to AA I found a great councilor at local outpatient services and spirituality in jail. That hopefully is not a "yet" you reached. There is ER, your doctor? AA, lots of resources that have been posted here and there is always something great to read. But don't isolate yourself, join the communities that are best for you! Do some yoga if that works for you.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi

Congrats on day 2! That first week is the worst. If you know it's gonna suck then it's not so bad.... make sense? I haven't done the 12 step program. My journey has been a personal journey and I have used the resources I have found on SR. In the beginning I didn't have the support of family and friends and now I do so it does get better in time. Medical School! you don't want to mess that up!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol did wonders for my self esteem.

And you’re not admitting to being devoid of character or a defective person. You just have character defects.

Admitting to mine and working on them made me a better everything - husband, son, brother, uncle, neighbor and soon to be father.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We don't have a perfect character but it's not in the gutter right now. Other people have their faults we are all human. If I were you I would move on from the beating on your back thing and not think you are worse than everyone else. Even the fact that you are here proves that you are concerned and care. Lots of people have accomplished great things after they dealt with their anxiety and other problems.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Isn't it crazy how one day you can be SO SURE you've hit that rock bottom and the next day that devil is back whispering in your ear? Day 2 for me, and I am struggling too. Just know you're not alone. Stay strong. We CAN beat this.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html (AVRT Explained (long))
Old 04-23-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Instead of beating up on myself too badly, I acknowledged that I'm "allergic" or have a bad chemical reaction to alcohol, and that I can't drink it in any quantity, no matter how small, and that if I do, I will crave more and more of it (in other words, I am powerless over it) and that I will eventually die if I started to drink again.