Notices

Time to sit and reflect!

Old 04-21-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to sit and reflect!

20 days....
sitting in my garden, sun is shining and just thinking about the last few years. As a 31 year old having spent my 20 believing I’m invincible, I do worry about what alcohol has done to me! The things I can’t see! If I think about what it has done to my mind, trying to trick me into maybe having one or two (I haven’t) but what about the rest? Liver, kidneys, heating etc!!
The last 20 days have had there ups and downs! Have spent a lot of money on “stuff” it has helped (I think) but can’t continue! I seem to care again about myself then the av bucks up and I actually find myself listening for a while! But that’s not caring about myself.. I shouldn’t give it a second!
From stories I’ve read on here I have a question to the people who have listened to the av! When you do have that one or 2 how does that make you feel? Do you enjoy or do you straight away feel down about it? I think if I did do it I would feel down and that the circle would begin again!
I was watching tv last night with my bf, when I say watching I think I was in a world of my own, not sure what I was thinking about.. but I just gave him a hug and burst out crying! I think the fact of 5 weeks away is really starting to hit home! As I said before I think the last few weeks have almost been white nuckling it and the real work begins in 8 days when I go to treatment! Part of me is a little excited to learn and be shown new ways to deal with things and grow as a person while working on the past and things that have got me to here.. part of me wants to run far far away!
I have a good life, not perfect but good, great support and 2 amazing kids that need me as much as I need them! Part of is scared that I will fail them! I know I’m freaking out because really I’m afraid of the unknown! Like the angel and devil on my shoulder!! The devil shouts and wants me to freak out because things aren’t certain and nothing is mapped out like it would be easier to not try and just drink and hope for the best! While the angle in a soft voice whispers it will be okay and life doesn’t always need a plan I just have to trust and believe, what is meant for me won’t pass me by!
Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over, it became a beautiful butterfly 🦋 xx
Old 04-21-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 20 days! At this point it is out of your system and if you aren't feeling mostly better you should be soon.

I also worry about what damage I have done to my body. I've been at it a good ten years longer than you and believe me, if you think it hurts at thirty, just wait til 40!😫

In my experience, having a couple after a period of abstinence is anticlimactic. For me, it tastes like **** and I would generally stop after a few. It's almost like you body is trying to protect you. Problem is it awakens the beast which has me back for round two a few days later.
Hang in there. Resist it and push forward!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi!
Just wanted to lend my support to you today. Wishing you the best on the next step in the very important journey towards complete sobriety.

I am at 70 days. The AV comes knocking regularly but I have won some important battles and now it is not nearly so insistent. I play the tape forward and the AV fizzles away.

If I were to drink today I would get a rush of happiness even before I took that first sip in anticipation. I would chug my first beer then the strange " brain swell" would start happening and I would quickly down another one and start to feel a glow. This is where the wheels fall off. Each beer I drink is like I match being struck. Its a quick flare up of happiness and then black. So I keep downing one after the next until I blackout or pass out. Then it's time for awful withdrawals. The worst part is my life stops until the cycle is complete.

What type of treatment are you going to and for how long?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 20 days loveisallyouneed

I'm proud and thrilled that you're committed to doing what you need to do.
5 weeks isn't really that long.

You'll be ok

D
Old 04-21-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Loveisallyouneed. I can understand how fearful you are, but I really believe this will be a wonderful experience for you. You will learn tools and won't have to resort to white knuckling to keep your sobriety.

You're young and your body will surely have the resilience of youth to heal from physical damage. Your treatment will help the emotional part and will probably help the physical part as well.

I know what you mean about caring for yourself, and then again, not caring for yourself. I had a couple of times where I didn't care about myself, thinking, "What's the point?". I posted here first and the fabulously caring folks here talked me out of taking that first drink. SR is a major part of my plan.

My experience in taking that first drink would be similar to GettingCloser's. I'm not a chugger, but I would steadily keep drinking.

You are going to have an awesome experience. This is not a punishment....this is a gift. You've done superbly already at 20 days. Hang in there. Be strong.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Congrats on the 20 days! At this point it is out of your system and if you aren't feeling mostly better you should be soon.

I also worry about what damage I have done to my body. I've been at it a good ten years longer than you and believe me, if you think it hurts at thirty, just wait til 40!😫

In my experience, having a couple after a period of abstinence is anticlimactic. For me, it tastes like **** and I would generally stop after a few. It's almost like you body is trying to protect you. Problem is it awakens the beast which has me back for round two a few days later.
Hang in there. Resist it and push forward!
Thank you 😊! I’m going to book in with my doc when the 5 weeks are done and have a full check up! I’ll try not to think about it too much until then! I feel good most days, liver discomfort has stopped!
I suppose that’s it really isn’t it? It’s like the grass is always greener when truly it isn’t? X
Old 04-21-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
Hi!
Just wanted to lend my support to you today. Wishing you the best on the next step in the very important journey towards complete sobriety.

I am at 70 days. The AV comes knocking regularly but I have won some important battles and now it is not nearly so insistent. I play the tape forward and the AV fizzles away.

If I were to drink today I would get a rush of happiness even before I took that first sip in anticipation. I would chug my first beer then the strange " brain swell" would start happening and I would quickly down another one and start to feel a glow. This is where the wheels fall off. Each beer I drink is like I match being struck. Its a quick flare up of happiness and then black. So I keep downing one after the next until I blackout or pass out. Then it's time for awful withdrawals. The worst part is my life stops until the cycle is complete.

What type of treatment are you going to and for how long?
70 days 👌🏻 Well done 😊! It really is crazy how or brain works! We know it’s not going to make the journey any easier if a drink was had yet still sometimes we don’t listen! It’s like a treat.. a really bad treat.. I thought to myself with the sun out “it would be lovely to have a bbq and a glass of wine this evening” as a treat.. but I’m the same breath if it were raining it would be lovely to light the fire and have a glass of wine.. as a treat! It’s like the thing that makes us want it can be literally ANYTHING! Good mood, bad mood, sunny, raining, hard day, great day it just goes on!! I think I’m too stubborn (another thing I’ve not really realized about myself) to actually follow through with having that one or 2! But in the back of my head somewhere a little niggling voice is laughing saying “one day, probably at your weekest moment.. you will cave”.. I’m actually having a full on argument, with my own brain! It’s crazy!! X
Old 04-21-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 20 days loveisallyouneed

I'm proud and thrilled that you're committed to doing what you need to do.
5 weeks isn't really that long.

You'll be ok

D
Thanks Dee! I know in high insight it really isn’t but my head is almost counting the minutes instead of the weeks! Not counting them for not drinking, counting how long I will miss my kids and my home, family and friends! I think I’m just scared of not being strong enough! I hope I pull the strength from somewhere! X
Old 04-21-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Hi Loveisallyouneed. I can understand how fearful you are, but I really believe this will be a wonderful experience for you. You will learn tools and won't have to resort to white knuckling to keep your sobriety.

You're young and your body will surely have the resilience of youth to heal from physical damage. Your treatment will help the emotional part and will probably help the physical part as well.

I know what you mean about caring for yourself, and then again, not caring for yourself. I had a couple of times where I didn't care about myself, thinking, "What's the point?". I posted here first and the fabulously caring folks here talked me out of taking that first drink. SR is a major part of my plan.

My experience in taking that first drink would be similar to GettingCloser's. I'm not a chugger, but I would steadily keep drinking.

You are going to have an awesome experience. This is not a punishment....this is a gift. You've done superbly already at 20 days. Hang in there. Be strong.
Thank you rar! This feeling I think that came on yesterday is I feel just being scared and not wanting to fail at the 5 weeks! As I sit in the garden planes are flying through a blue sky and I’ve made myself a promise that this time next year if/when I’m a year sober I would love to take the kids to Africa on safari! So instead of it being 11000 for treatment it will be a loan from the bank for that trip of a lifetime and make happy memory’s! X
Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

You are NOT going to fail! ((HUGS)) . Going on an animal safari in AFrica has been an item on my bucket list.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Loveisallweneed View Post
Thank you 😊! I’m going to book in with my doc when the 5 weeks are done and have a full check up! I’ll try not to think about it too much until then! I feel good most days, liver discomfort has stopped!
I suppose that’s it really isn’t it? It’s like the grass is always greener when truly it isn’t? X
Oh sometimes it is greener...but it still needs cutting!!😉
Old 04-21-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
You are NOT going to fail! ((HUGS)) . Going on an animal safari in AFrica has been an item on my bucket list.
Love the positive mental attitude 💪🏼!! Yeah I think it would be amazing, something the kids will keep with them for the rest of there life x
Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Loveisallweneed View Post
Love the positive mental attitude ����!! Yeah I think it would be amazing, something the kids will keep with them for the rest of there life x
And your's too.