Notices

Three months sober and...

Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three months sober and...

... Feeling pretty low!

I havent drunk since Jan 20th and am so stoked I have made it three months. It is a great milestone and will get my new coin at a meeting later today.

The meetings have become my favourite thing in life. Love sharing and putting myself on show baring my soul and my mistakes.

Still running, eating well, look great but find myself really struggling to come to terms with my former partner not being in my life anymore. Three months sober is also three months (minus three days) of total no contact with her.

She didnt message me on my birthday and that hurt whilst I also felt relieved.

Trying so hard to get rid of hope and accept we are not getting back together but I miss her terribly.

Wish I could right the wrongs but know it is too soon to reach out and make amends, plus not up to that step!

I know I need to keep going the way I am but does anyone have any words of advice because I really need them today. Havent felt this down for a fair while
Old 04-19-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you think an antidepressant can possibly help you during this difficult time?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kejun

I still have down days but, like I said to someone else here to today that beats the down weeks month or years I ised to have when drinking.

I hope you feel better soon.

If not as Freedom CA suggested maybe seeing your Dr might not be the worst idea here?

D
Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kejun View Post
... Feeling pretty low!

I havent drunk since Jan 20th and am so stoked I have made it three months. It is a great milestone and will get my new coin at a meeting later today.

The meetings have become my favourite thing in life. Love sharing and putting myself on show baring my soul and my mistakes.

Still running, eating well, look great but find myself really struggling to come to terms with my former partner not being in my life anymore. Three months sober is also three months (minus three days) of total no contact with her.

She didnt message me on my birthday and that hurt whilst I also felt relieved.

Trying so hard to get rid of hope and accept we are not getting back together but I miss her terribly.

Wish I could right the wrongs but know it is too soon to reach out and make amends, plus not up to that step!

I know I need to keep going the way I am but does anyone have any words of advice because I really need them today. Havent felt this down for a fair while
Hey, I'm new here so don't know about your situation, but feel for you that you're dealing with a break up as well. Also sucks your sobriety is tied into your relationship ending because ideally you'd feel good about it instead of associating it with something bad and painful.

Did you guys mutually decide to separate while you're going through the steps? And was there any talk of reconciling at any point in your recovery? You say you're relieved you didn't hear from her. Is there any reason for that feeling of relief?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

does anyone have any words of advice because I really need them today.
no advice only experience

my sober life didnt get better until i worked the program of recovery

meetings
sponsor
steps
service
higher power

awesome job on 3 months !!!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The breakup was initiated by her. Cannot blame her at all. She reached her limit. I was truly thinking she would have contacted me to check in...

I feel two ways: 1) If she really cared she would check on me to see how I was doing,

2) She is looking after herself as she was monumentally hurt from my inability to keep my word about staying off the booze.

I have made progress but as we all know, whats three months in the big scheme of things?

If it is meant to be, our paths will cross in the future - I totally agree with the idea of this but actually coming to terms with just leaving her alone and leaving 'us' alone is exceptionally difficult today.

I know totally not contacting her is the way to go and the respectful thing to do. I have posted about it previously, but man I feel compelled to go and see her sometimes.

There are days, certainly moments in days I feel that I am more than strong enough for whatever outcome if we were to meet - today is def not one of them. Besides, who am I kidding? The thought might be easy enough to handle but standing a few feet away from someone I cherished and held tight just over three months ago... It would be so difficult holding myself together.

The silver lining of the end of 'us' is the last time we spoke, the look on her face. Will never leave my mind. Angry, Sad, let-down, exhausted... I did that. I caused those emotions through decisions I made.

I know I need to leave her alone. I know that. Just miss her terribly and yes it is sad that my stopping drinking is the same date as us being over but hey, it is what it is.

Thank you for the messages - really help!!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The breakup was initiated by her. Cannot blame her at all. She reached her limit. I was truly thinking she would have contacted me to check in...

I feel two ways: 1) If she really cared she would check on me to see how I was doing,

2) She is looking after herself as she was monumentally hurt from my inability to keep my word about staying off the booze.

I have made progress but as we all know, whats three months in the big scheme of things?

If it is meant to be, our paths will cross in the future - I totally agree with the idea of this but actually coming to terms with just leaving her alone and leaving 'us' alone is exceptionally difficult today.

I know totally not contacting her is the way to go and the respectful thing to do. I have posted about it previously, but man I feel compelled to go and see her sometimes.

There are days, certainly moments in days I feel that I am more than strong enough for whatever outcome if we were to meet - today is def not one of them. Besides, who am I kidding? The thought might be easy enough to handle but standing a few feet away from someone I cherished and held tight just over three months ago... It would be so difficult holding myself together.

The silver lining of the end of 'us' is the last time we spoke, the look on her face. Will never leave my mind. Angry, Sad, let-down, exhausted... I did that. I caused those emotions through decisions I made.

I know I need to leave her alone. I know that. Just miss her terribly and yes it is sad that my stopping drinking is the same date as us being over but hey, it is what it is.

Thank you for the messages - really help!!
Sorry to hear this, Kejun. It sounds like maybe you need to take some more time to become stronger in yourself and your recovery, and maybe get a bit more emotional distance from your ex, and the pain of the break up. You say there are moments you feel you'd be okay with reaching out to her, and others, not so much. Perhaps in time, you might not feel any fear or pain about contacting her again, and that will be a better time to reach out. It's hard as well, because you're making yourself vulnerable to being hurt/rejected which could affect your recovery. Sounds like it was a painful break up for you, and distance might be the best thing right now, for your own sake. I can definitely understand you miss her though. It's hard to go through this alone.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remember sobriety is like anything that is good. The longer you do it the better it gets. Give it more time and you'll see how awesome sobriety is. Three-months is great but when you hit a year it'll be so amazing you'll realize getting sober was so worth it.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember feeling the same way around 3 months (I just passed 4, so I am right there with you). It seemed to get much better, even if temporarily, at 100 days, and overall it has been much better since.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hit two aa meets today. First was 'ok' the second was a short time ago and a more regular meet I go to. I average 7/8 meets a week and am around 60 days without missing a meeting. Doing me a world of good. The fellowship and friendship/support... All of it helps me no end.

Getting that little green coin and sharing was great

I struggle with dealing with life sober sometimes without the escape I always had. Fantasising about just escaping by drinking for one day but know I wont as I have a good milestone now.

It also pains me that the ex hasnt reached out. I really must have broken her and destroyed her faith. She would have felt devalued and second best to the booze. How I wish I could embrace her and tell her I am sorry and for her to truly understand and believe my words.

'believe my words'... what an impossibility that would be.

The day I stopped drinking was the day she ended everything. I am trying to stay in the present. I am trying to accept what I cannot change. I am trying to forgive myself. I am trying to wish her well and happiness and give up the hope because I know there is none.

I wish I was further down the road in my recovery and my heart was more healed.

When I shared tonight I said "I am so grateful that I am sober because although I am hurting, I am not drunk, I have not hurt anyone for ages, I have not offended, abused, let down or shamed myself".

Thank you sober recovery people
Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track, keep taking it one day at a time. You'll get there!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sobriety for me was a great foundation upon to build a new life, and it can be for you!!

Keep your eyes on the task at hand . . . and new doors of happiness will open!!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months Kejun!
Continue to stay sober and keep up with the running and good nutrition and you'll continue to look and feel better. When you think the time is right maybe you can just share with her a quick update on your progress. And when you meet her again in the future you won't have to try to convince her that you're off the booze... it will show!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

What step are you on?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sugar - step four. But honestly always found it difficult to 'hand it over' :S unsure if I can really say i have therefore completed steps 2/3... At a meet today someone shared who is on the same sort of timeline as I am and she was religious before AA and mentioned she had no issues with it.

I have never been particularly spiritual and certainly not religious - as much as I would like that to be different.

NT216 - I believe that would be good. But we ended last year because of the drink and the last thing I said to her this break was "Ok, if this is what you really want, I respect that and your decision - I don't agree with or want the same but I will not contact you again".

Since then, I have not. We live and work on the same naval base so we do drive past each other every now and again, don't acknowledge each other - that hurts!

I feel after all the **** I put the poor girl through the least I can do is love her enough to leave her be. She knows where I am and how to get hold of me. She will have heard of my progress and nothing so far. As I said, three months is not a huge amount of time but I am trying to put the relationship and the hope to rest. The head doesn't listen to the heart.