Notices

Sadness :(

Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sadness :(

I'm feeling very low today. I've still gotten out and done things I enjoy but I feel great sadness, and a struggle to move on. I'm overwhelmed by a whole heap of emotions. I don't want to drown them out with alcohol and I've read I'm supposed to acknowledge them. Feeling a lot of raw pain today.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you aren't feeling good today Starsabove. Some days are simply worse than others...life tends to be that way sometimes. Acknowledging the emotions is definitely a step in the right direction - because drowning them out with alcohol only makes them worse eventually.

That's one of the hardest parts of quitting drinking in my opinion - our default reaction in the past was to run away/hide or at least attempt to.

Since your immediate issue is emotions - have you taken any steps to address these issues since you quit by chance? Quitting drinking in itself doesn't make them go away obviously - so sometimes we need to do more. Talking about them here is a good first step - do you have someone you could talk to about them nearby? Maybe at a recovery meeting? Or perhaps a trusted friend? Maybe even a counselor?

Make no mistake - the fact that you are here asking and addressing the issue is a sign that you are doing much better and facing them ( vs. running away ). Give yourself some credit for that!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starsabove32 View Post
I'm feeling very low today. I've still gotten out and done things I enjoy but I feel great sadness, and a struggle to move on. I'm overwhelmed by a whole heap of emotions. I don't want to drown them out with alcohol and I've read I'm supposed to acknowledge them. Feeling a lot of raw pain today.
Definitely don't drown them. That's part of the problem. A big part.

As much as it's not pleasant, I'm actually starting to feel a bit refreshed that I can feel things. Even when I'm sad. I was numb for so long...

It's also probably a sign that you are coming to grips with things. I think it's likely a sign that you are moving toward acceptance. Don't slam the door on it. Ride it out.

Glad you brought it up. It's important.

B
Old 04-19-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My journey off alcohol has led me to some life changing decisions. I recently left my partner, living with a friend etc I know it's all very exciting stuff. But the future is so uncertain, and I am so indecisive. I'm torn between healing and peace, moving away and just getting my own wee place for some head space. I get very focussed, and excited, then very sad and down. Grieving for a future I had planned that no longer exists with my ex partner. I want answers now right away, that stresses me. I must learn to be still, but that frightens me. I also have anxiety which doesn't help lol such a world of possibility.

I have some friends for support thank you. Today feels all yuk inside me. I got myself so stressed that my stomach is all yukky now. I will try to meditate. But my head is like spaghetti at the moment 😂
Old 04-19-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott and Buckley
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Sorry for what you're going through.

The thing to keep in mind is that drinking a depressant when you're depressed will make you feel even more depressed than you are now.

There's also the old saying that time heals all wounds.

While we want to feel good now, know that everyone's timeline is different. Hang in there!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel a little better now Starsabove. The good thing is we only have bad days now, not bad weeks months or years

D
Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm sorry you're sad, Stars. When I have sad days, I try to remind myself that I would have sad days whether I drank or not. That's life. "Some days are diamonds - Some days are stones" (Neill Diamond) . You're going through a 'stone' day. I bet tomorrow will be a diamond.

Hang in there. It will get better.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had lots of emotional swings especially in the first 90 days. I’m sure my brain chemistry was confused and trying to level out, which it eventually did. I didn’t try to put much logic to my emotions early on, rather I tried to remember my body was working hard to heal, so I would feel different soon.