Notices

Any advice

Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any advice

I was drinking every day for about the last 3 years trying to ignore the Hell that was going on. Stress, death, family fallouts etc. Plus an unexpected pregnancy which isn't a bad thing at all, just another throw off. I quit alcohol and skoal (which I used since HS) cold turkey about 4 months ago. Maybe a few days later I had a spell of utter devastation. Weakness, trimbling, heart racing, absolutely scary. The "spells" kept happening usually middayish for a couple months to the point I've left work a lot and curled up in the bed. Told 3 Dr's my situation. It was a different vitamin deficiency each time. Through all this I've became an Internet vitamin mineral expert and tried them all. Also ran across anxiety which I mentioned to my Dr. He gave me buspirone, apparently the mildest of anxiety meds but I absolutely refused to accept I had it. I have 3 beautiful girls and a perfect wife, no way I have it. I've never been depressed or anxious or whatever. I love life. But after a month on the shelf I unscrewed the bottle and accepted what it was. After getting it in my system a few weeks and getting the right vitamin regime lined out I've been fairly normal the past couple weeks. But absolutely no energy whatsoever. Loads of B12 don't help. In fact I was so upset overy no energy I quit the meds over spring break and had 3 beers. Felt great that evening. Next day I had a terrible "spell" and started my meds again haha. Dummy me. I'm slowly getting back to normal. And I guess my question is does this sound normal? And is there any advice on what to do better? I take B12 complex, magnesium, calcium, d3, and iron every now and then. Seems to help. The buspirone has helped the most, just crazy dizzy sometimes. BP is better now and I'm functioning at work pretty normal. Just no energy or drive whatsoever.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've been talking to your dr about your health issues and that you are following his directions.

It does take awhile for your body to heal and hopefully you will feel more energetic soon.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you been exercising and eating healthy? Sleeping enough? Hope you feel better soon if not maybe another doctor trip is in order.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Might be worth looking into a recovery plan. This isn't just physical.
There are some great threads on here about making a plan...

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Also might be worth looking at this article on PAWS (post acute withdrawal) which might put your mind at rest in that this happens to a lot of people, explains a little of why this happens, and also has some good suggestions as to working on recovery.
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

The thing that I took which helped me start feeling better? Plain old Action. I needed to do some of the things that up to that point I'd been unwilling to do.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery,

BB
Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sierra,

Ime....I had horrific PAWS. The only thing that made it better was time and suffering.

I stayed away from the Dr. I knew he would give me drugs. I don't want drugs any more.

It has taken years to get better. Coping w life's frustrations is something I never got good at because I always drank to cope.

Many addicts will need meds for the rest of their lives to cope. I am choosing to let all my petty worries go away naturally.

I work out a fair amount ane that really helps. I also use the Internet to give me strategies. I learned all about breathing techniques early on. They saved me when I was coping in the early days.

Every question I ever had was always answered here or around the internet.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you had your blood sugar levels tested?

Many drinkers develop hypoglycemia over time, which can lead to extreme exhaustion, weakness, etc.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ive been working out the past little bit and feel great when I do. Nothing extraordinary just walking and stretching. But I guess that's a lot considering I was pretty much in the bedroom for 2 months. It feels like my body craves to get my heart rate going lately but I was so scared of having another spell I wouldnt. This stuff is no joke. I've been at the Dr a couple times during a spell and my levels were fine. Sugar and all. Just BP through the roof. The only thing was b12 deficiency then they said D was low. I absolutely hate taking the buspirone but it takes the edge off I guess. But I've noticed if I don't eat right and take vitamins it really doesn't help. I honestly think I just need my vitamins and minerals built up. But it's getting much better. BP has been the best it's been for years. I'm on a very low dose BP med. The month after I quit he put me on a water pill for BP. I lost 19 lbs in a month doing nothing but peeing. Guess that really finished off what little vitamins I had left. Switched to a different med now. Breathing exercises help tremendously believe it or not. It's strange that it only happened during midday. Morning and night I was fine. Anyway it's getting better. The word is time I guess. Gotta pay to play right.