Do you recommend Al-Anon for an estranged spouse?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you recommend Al-Anon for an estranged spouse?

I'm the alcoholic (currently in recovery, though I relapsed awhile ago, since sober again), and I'm getting a divorce. My husband has refused any counseling/therapy, substance abuse education. I keep telling him he should go to Al-Anon because he clearly has resentments and I think it would be very beneficial for him.

We have a young child we will be raising together so I think it is imperative he understands the disease so we can keep things civil and communicate effectively. To those who have went (and I know HE has to want to go, just like it is up to ME not to drink), do you find it beneficial and think it would be good for our family, even though we're divorcing?
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure it would be beneficial for him, but only if he went into it with willingness in his heart.

I do not recommend you continuing to hound him about it in any case.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

agree with sparklekitty.
so I think it is imperative he understands the disease
why?
i dont see how understanding alcoholism will help keep things civil during communication.
you can keep things civil,though, by not allowing yourself to be a doormat or allowing unacceptable behavior. you are allowed to stand up for yourself,now, babes.

i would say it would probably be good for the family. but not so much about learning about the disease, but learning about himself
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It could absolutely help him if he wanted it, but not for the reasons you think.

Your best bet is to focus on your OWN recovery if you want to see real change in your world.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It certainly may be helpful for him, but you forcing the issue will only make things worse. Its' a decision he'll have to make whether you feel it's imperative or not.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I asked my ex to do the same thing for exactly the same reasons, Babescake . Figured it would help all of us moving forward, divorce or no. Turns out it was a total waste of my time and my hope. Some people simply aren't interested in learning about alcoholism or addiction. I've learned it's not my job to compel them to do so. No matter how noble I perceive my motivation to be.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alanon is not designed to inform members about the disease/mechanics of addiction. Alanon is a support group for those AFFECTED by another's addiction.

i don't understand how his education on the disease will help in ongoing communication with you??? you should not have to parent differently because one person is (hopefully) a former addict.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
I'm the alcoholic (currently in recovery, though I relapsed awhile ago, since sober again), and I'm getting a divorce. My husband has refused any counseling/therapy, substance abuse education. I keep telling him he should go to Al-Anon because he clearly has resentments and I think it would be very beneficial for him.

We have a young child we will be raising together so I think it is imperative he understands the disease so we can keep things civil and communicate effectively. To those who have went (and I know HE has to want to go, just like it is up to ME not to drink), do you find it beneficial and think it would be good for our family, even though we're divorcing?
I went for a while Babescake. I find it a good place to connect with other family members, and there is a focus on self care, boundaries which I find useful. I feel like it focuses a lot on control / codependency issues. Do you think he would identify with that aspect? In terms of education about addiction eehh I think seeing a therapist would be much better because Alanon really only brings in the 12 step model which wasn't sufficient for me. Also, I didn't really find it to be focused on the family, just the family member, You do your thing, your addict does their thing. It might help with his resentments, never hurts to suggest he try it.

Do you think he might consider doing family therapy where the two of you could focus on the healthiest way to co-parent? My guess is that it would open up the door for deeper issues to be discussed.

There is a thread on here that has a link to the Pleasure Unwoven video on youtube. That might be something you could forward to him, its about 30 minutes and really informational. Ive seen a couple people say it was played for family members in a rehab setting.

My FIL is going to try to get my MIL to watch it. She has been having a hard time with my husbands addiction issues. She does go to Alanon though and she likes it. Has made friends.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
I went for a while Babescake. I find it a good place to connect with other family members, and there is a focus on self care, boundaries which I find useful. I feel like it focuses a lot on control / codependency issues. Do you think he would identify with that aspect? In terms of education about addiction eehh I think seeing a therapist would be much better because Alanon really only brings in the 12 step model which wasn't sufficient for me. Also, I didn't really find it to be focused on the family, just the family member, You do your thing, your addict does their thing. It might help with his resentments, never hurts to suggest he try it.

Do you think he might consider doing family therapy where the two of you could focus on the healthiest way to co-parent? My guess is that it would open up the door for deeper issues to be discussed.

There is a thread on here that has a link to the Pleasure Unwoven video on youtube. That might be something you could forward to him, its about 30 minutes and really informational. Ive seen a couple people say it was played for family members in a rehab setting.

My FIL is going to try to get my MIL to watch it. She has been having a hard time with my husbands addiction issues. She does go to Alanon though and she likes it. Has made friends.
I thought it would be good for him to attend to let go of his resentments and be around others in his shoes. He says once he is rid of me, he'll have no more problems, but there is deep resentment and hurt there. Having the opportunity to talk it out might be therapeutic.

The only "issue" he sees is that I'm an alcoholic. I'm responsible for every single thing wrong in our marriage so going to therapy is fruitless. He is wrong of course, there are other issues, such as SOLELY blaming me for our marriage's demise.

I want him to understand the disease better for my son. More than likely he'll have primary custody and I want him to know how to appropriately talk to him about my addiction instead of just being like, "Mommy loves alcohol more than you."

I'm in recovery right now but relapsed not too long ago. I'm sober again and it really scared me, but it also puts me on edge that it could happen again. If it does I never want my child to think that I am purposefully choosing alcohol over him.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like he's not the only one nursing festering resentments Babe.

Again - if you spend this energy focusing on YOU, you'll get much farther, much faster.

Al-Anon isn't there for the things you think it is - it isn't about explaining addiction or how to live with it. It's not about YOU at all in fact.

I want him to understand the disease better for my son
This is your responsibility, not his.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want him to understand the disease better for my son.
From what you are saying it doesn't sound like he would be very open to any suggestions?

Al-Anon, from my limited experience isn't somewhere to go to learn about alcoholism. The focus is on the family member/friend and how to detach from trying to control others (in a nutshell).

Didn't cause it, can't control it, can't cure it.

I think the onus is on you to help your Son to understand, not on your soon to be XH?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Al-Anon is a great idea. However, given the history of resentment between you two, I'm not sure if you are the best person to deliver that message.

Your suggestion, which may have the best of intentions, may come off as "Hey, I know you're divorcing me because of my drinking, but the one who really needs help is YOU." It sounds too much like blameshifting. You run the risk of having him completely tune you out.

If you do say something, I would say it once then drop it. However, this is one of those cases where I'd let someone else be the messenger.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here's what you can control in this situation:

1) How you talk to your son about the disease
2) How you demonstrate to your son that you do not love alcohol more than him
3) How you treat others with respect, even if they have behaved hurtfully towards you in the past, and how you demonstrate that behavior to you son

You literally have no control over what your husband says or does. It doesn't matter how much you want to have control over it, or how unfair the situation feels. It's time to decide where to focus your energy and time.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I only started attending al anon after I left xah. I went in thinking that it would help me, help our young children "understand" him. What I learned, is this was a program for me. It wasn't keeping to my side of the street if I will trying to stand in my yard and point out the things in his. Has it helped our children? Yes. By helping me find a healthy, happy me again. That is what my children need more than explaining someone else to them. Al anon is for friends and family members that have been affected by another's drinking. In your other thread on the newcomers, I was going to suggest maybe you might like to try it for yourself? Not sure if you think it would apply to you. When I saw you post here, I took it as my sign that I should at least "say" it to you. It may help you. Hugs friend.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuzzledHeart View Post
Al-Anon is a great idea. However, given the history of resentment between you two, I'm not sure if you are the best person to deliver that message.

Your suggestion, which may have the best of intentions, may come off as "Hey, I know you're divorcing me because of my drinking, but the one who really needs help is YOU." It sounds too much like blameshifting. You run the risk of having him completely tune you out.

If you do say something, I would say it once then drop it. However, this is one of those cases where I'd let someone else be the messenger.
I agree with this and what others are saying that I can only work on myself and not control how he thinks or feels. I'm responsible for explaining things to my son as well. It would just be so much easier if each side could understand each other. But 'tis life and I'll just cope the best I can. Thanks for allowing me to come to this side of the fence and ask my question.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I thought it would be good for him to attend to let go of his resentments and be around others in his shoes. He says once he is rid of me, he'll have no more problems, but there is deep resentment and hurt there. Having the opportunity to talk it out might be therapeutic.

The only "issue" he sees is that I'm an alcoholic. I'm responsible for every single thing wrong in our marriage so going to therapy is fruitless. He is wrong of course, there are other issues, such as SOLELY blaming me for our marriage's demise.

I want him to understand the disease better for my son. More than likely he'll have primary custody and I want him to know how to appropriately talk to him about my addiction instead of just being like, "Mommy loves alcohol more than you."

I'm in recovery right now but relapsed not too long ago. I'm sober again and it really scared me, but it also puts me on edge that it could happen again. If it does I never want my child to think that I am purposefully choosing alcohol over him.
I totally believe what you are saying. Unfortunately it seems like when there is an addiction issue, the sober partner often shifts all the blame for marital issues on the other spouse. Its not always justified, and your right - while you may be working on yourself and will grow and become healthier in so many ways - he will sit and stay the same not realizing his part in the dysfunction. And all of that affects your child. I REALLY appreciated that my husband wanted to do therapy and work on things, and I couldn't even guarantee him that I would stay married to him at that time.

My husband had that same fear about relapse and what might happen, what our child might be taught to believe. I understand completely what your saying on how he should at least be educated so he can speak factually and not just with emotion/anger. If he isn't willing/wanting to do any of this - the only suggestion I can make is to see if during custody or divorce proceedings, there can be a request made by your attorney/advocate that each of you must complete specific counseling (no bias towards either of you) at least to benefit your child and enhance co-parenting. I think courts are used to parents aligning against one another, and Im sure your willingness to do things to benefit your child would be well received.

((cyber hugs)) sorry you have to go through this.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with this and what others are saying that I can only work on myself and not control how he thinks or feels. I'm responsible for explaining things to my son as well. It would just be so much easier if each side could understand each other. But 'tis life and I'll just cope the best I can. Thanks for allowing me to come to this side of the fence and ask my question.
^^^^^

You sound like you are doing really well Babescake in spite of the relapse. Congrats on every bit of learning and health you have achieved so far. I'm sure this is all very hard won.

As others have said, you asked him to go; he refused; now is the time to drop it.

As you may have noticed (-; we codependents are not necessarily any healthier than the alcoholic. Some might be but who can tell. Like alcoholics, we have our own path to walk and our own time frame and pace for learning. I figure we are all somewhat experiential learners and can only figure it out with time and trial.

I had to get away from the external train wreck of my ABF in order to look at the internal train wreck of my own psyche. There is no way I would have examined it around him. . . . pretty much didn't even know it existed.

One day at a time brave lady. You got this.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Curious, and off topic. This is an open forum. Is it only for codependents? I use it for an outlook on family life. Has it evolved for that?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Babescake.....the way I look at t his forum.....it is for Father, Mother, Sister Brother, Spouse, son, daughter, extended family, neighbor, co-worker, friend.....who have been affected by an alcoholic in their lives.......
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Curious, and off topic. This is an open forum. Is it only for codependents? I use it for an outlook on family life. Has it evolved for that?
Hasn't "evolved" that I have noticed, it never was "only for codependents" to my knowledge.