Notices

Reflecting on the life

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflecting on the life

Since I was 14 drinking has been my go to recreational activity. At that age, it was 40 oz beers behind a school or gas station. Later, it was underage bars and penny til you pee. Once adulthood set in it was while watching TV or out with friends. Nowadays it has become happy hour or Sunday funday. I always just viewed it as the normal way people socialized. It hadn't really occured to me until relatively lately that it is anything but. I remember when I told my therapist that ,6 beers was typical for me and not a binge. His head almost exploded. In his eyes, and that of most normal people, six beers in a sitting is a hell of a lot to consume. As I grow more conscious of how abnormal my behavior, and that of those in my circle is, I am frightened. I am frightened of what's behind door number two. I'm frightened of not having that release valve every few days. How will I exist?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
How will I exist?
You will exist in joy, presence and beauty - if you embrace sobriety and choose to live it....

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have two years and a little over three months sober, and I can tell you that what you find behind door number two is amazing!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, there is fear in the unknown for sure. I know what alcoholism looks like, but living without it? That's new. And I believe I have relapsed in the past because it was 'better the devil I knew' kind of thinking. I mean, its many things. But that is part of it.

Fear of the unknown, fear of no control. Fear. I encourage you to read all the stories here of success (and failure) for your answers. Believe what you read. And believe that it can happen to you to. I remember times when I simply didn't believe the people in AA. No way, they can't REALLY be that happy. Well, I think they are. When you read a story of someones success or failure, imagine its you. You can have what others have. Just don't drink and trust the process.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thought/fear of "never drinking again" scared the hell outta me,at first. After I finally had a few months behind me(via SR and court ordered AA) the fear/honesty of what/how I am if I drink scared me even more.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
The thought/fear of "never drinking again" scared the hell outta me,at first. After I finally had a few months behind me(via SR and court ordered AA) the fear/honesty of what/how I am if I drink scared me even more.
Good point. I've been fortunate that I've never had any run ins but it's Russian roulette. The realization of how much I risk has been wearing at me
Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
You know, there is fear in the unknown for sure. I know what alcoholism looks like, but living without it? That's new. And I believe I have relapsed in the past because it was 'better the devil I knew' kind of thinking. I mean, its many things. But that is part of it.

Fear of the unknown, fear of no control. Fear. I encourage you to read all the stories here of success (and failure) for your answers. Believe what you read. And believe that it can happen to you to. I remember times when I simply didn't believe the people in AA. No way, they can't REALLY be that happy. Well, I think they are. When you read a story of someones success or failure, imagine its you. You can have what others have. Just don't drink and trust the process.
Thanks Fricka. You are absolutely right. I've already known what an alcoholic life holds for me. I welcome the change but am apprehensive just the same
Old 04-15-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I have two years and a little over three months sober, and I can tell you that what you find behind door number two is amazing!
I am sure. Why do we sabotage ourselves?
Old 04-15-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
You will exist in joy, presence and beauty - if you embrace sobriety and choose to live it....

From your fingers to God's ears
Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone has those fears Scramm.

All I can do is promise you you won;t regret it. Life has never been better for me - and all I had to do was give up drinking

D
Old 04-16-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dee74 View Post
i think everyone has those fears scramm.

All i can do is promise you you won;t regret it. Life has never been better for me - and all i had to do was give up drinking

d
👍
Old 04-16-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I had that exact same fear, but my life as a drinker had become so painful that I was resigned to living a dull and boring future if I could only get away from the drinking.

Out of desperation, I did the "feel the fear, but do it anyway" sort of thing.

Happily, I found out I was very wrong about my expectations of living sober. Of course it was not at all easy at first, but getting through the rocky first months with the help of a recovery program showed me how life could get better.

Bad things still happen and there is still pain, but not as much and I'm more equipped to handle those things now. I can say today that I am living a life much better than I could have ever dreamed it would be.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bird615 View Post
I had that exact same fear, but my life as a drinker had become so painful that I was resigned to living a dull and boring future if I could only get away from the drinking.

Out of desperation, I did the "feel the fear, but do it anyway" sort of thing.

Happily, I found out I was very wrong about my expectations of living sober. Of course it was not at all easy at first, but getting through the rocky first months with the help of a recovery program showed me how life could get better.

Bad things still happen and there is still pain, but not as much and I'm more equipped to handle those things now. I can say today that I am living a life much better than I could have ever dreamed it would be.
Thanks for sharing that. I feel the same way. I'd rather bordom than the pain. I realize I have no control over my drinking once it starts. The only thing I can control is not starting in the first place .
Old 04-16-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A life drinking is hopeless. A life sober is hopeful. That’s the difference...
Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
A life drinking is hopeless. A life sober is hopeful. That’s the difference...
☝️
Thanks for this
Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Since I was 14 drinking has been my go to recreational activity. At that age, it was 40 oz beers behind a school or gas station. Later, it was underage bars and penny til you pee. Once adulthood set in it was while watching TV or out with friends.
This is one of the key factors to alcoholism, environmental exposure. While you were drinking 40's behind the school, your classmates were out running the track or involved with sports.
As time went on, you think the only "fun" you can get out of life is being a drunkard.
It takes work and making changes is hard, but you can build new paths to have an amazing life, without having to poison yourself
Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
This is one of the key factors to alcoholism, environmental exposure. While you were drinking 40's behind the school, your classmates were out running the track or involved with sports.
As time went on, you think the only "fun" you can get out of life is being a drunkard.
It takes work and making changes is hard, but you can build new paths to have an amazing life, without having to poison yourself
That's also.part of it...none of my friends did anything but drink. We were the poor working class kids whose parents had their own **** to deal with. The kids who lived in houses played sports! We played cards!
😒