Notices

Mental Clarity

Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental Clarity

One of my biggest things working against me is that I use(d) alcohol to ease my anxiety..

Detox Symptoms provoke that doom and gloom/it’s too late anxiety.. which has caused me to stay in the vicious cycle.

Brain fog, issues with attention span, and failing to stay focused and tuned into things that were previously enjoyed, etc, are common on paper, but it’s what I’m struggling with the most. I’m trying to convince myself I haven’t f***ed myself up for life, but it feels that way.

I don’t need any unconditional reassurance, I want to know your true experience with mental clarity as it pertains to ongoing sobriety. Be honest.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I got sober, I had serious memory problems for about half a year. A lot of brain fog too and no attention span to speak of. My life was filled with Post-it-notes, and even they didn't always help.

The funny thing was I never had that kind of trouble with my memory when I was still drinking.

After a year of sobriety there is more mental clarity. Stress still causes me serious memory problems and there's brain fog if I'm tired, and I've learned to accept that my brain probably isn't going to be what it used to be, but at least I know I haven't lost my memory and clarity isn't just a dream because at times my mind works just fine. It just looks like my system isn't too good at dealing with stress and fatigue. I'm sure my mind gets better little by little as long as I stay sober. It's a long process.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone has any reason to lie to you.

I see from other threads you've just come back from a relapse.

I think you need to try and be patient.

Memory issues and foggy brain are pretty common and are part of most peoples early recovery experience.

After about 90 days I felt more normal, and I hope thats the case for you too.

D
Old 04-14-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to most of what plop and Dees telling you. About half a year until it gets truly better.

My articulation got better after 4 weeks, my anxiety eased after 3 month, since I could feel my true self more. I had "emotion-wise" clearer points of views, and that brought me more clear overall perspective on things.

Within that mentioned period "symptoms" changed, sometimes I would feel more clear-thinking abilities, then again I would feel more "aware of myself and viewpoints" but surprisingly with that the ability "thinking clearly thru a topic" declined, came back after some weeks.

At that time I was tempted to set up a daily routine to push mental clarity (like meditation, etc.) but came to the conclusion to let it happen until things settle a bit. What I kept was Journaling (very helpful for overall clarity) and making all sorts of lists (like plop post its), and always had pen and paper in front of me to just write down the next step to do to free up capacity with short term memory. Sounds ********, but helps a lot on all levels of intellectual working.

Also, what helped me, was to test myself on AD(H)D, where I got some issues from, that won't go away. Also I learned a lot of tools from youtube vids on that topic by those having it (they have less short term memory).

It is not really the point if you have ****** up your abilities, because this question will not help you on your way. I had the same issue, I was an A grade MBA student, managerial positions, but lost 10 + years of developing my skills, knowledge and thinking, now, have to deal with that. I then accepted to view this as a new journey on which my priority was to enjoy, learn new things and take it from there. And once I accepted that, progress became a great feeling again.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My brain fog took what seemed like an age to lift.
About 9 months for me ( some of that fog may have been due to raising a baby/child)
My clarity was one of my goals in recovery.
Things are very clear for me now at 13 months sober.
I was impatient to get to the stage I’m at now but now I’m here I don’t want the recovery to stop. ( I thought it had)
It just keeps getting better. I didn’t think I’d ever feel like this.
It is very exciting to say the least.

You haven’t f*cked yourself up, the brain fog is your brains way of telling you it’s learning new stuff and repairing.

Keep hopeful
Sobriety is king.

Best wishes
Old 04-15-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Big,

Ime...it has gotten better and better over 3 years. For me, days and weeks are nice, but the changes are subtle. It took months to see them as change.

The healing is ongoing. My articulation is through the roof, my confidence is steadily growing, people see the change for the positive.

I go to the buffet a few times a month because I get 241 mailers. The buffet used to be a place where I was always drunk. Now clean, it used to cause me stress.

The last several times I went, things are starting to feel different in a better way. This has been the case w everything in my life.

Folks can't see it, I can only feel it. I see people walking around who look like I used to feel.

Some folks at work used to comment that I walked like an old man. Those days are gone. When i walk now it better balanced and confident.

This happens everywhere how. It is awesome getting healthier.

I still crave and I pray it disappears. I don't drink anymore. I hate the stuff. It is poison. I have developed an allergy. Plus, my BP meds won't work if I drink.

I know a relapse will damage or destroy me. I am no longer physically addicted, so why mess w the stuff.

I don't let the media hype change me. I am too stubborn. I don't envy drinkers. 1 or 2 drinks always just made me tired.

5 or 6 was my usual number, but that would open the door to at least 1 day a month of a 20 drink binge. 20 drinks destroyed me.

My brain and body can't take that abuse anymore.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BiggerReasons View Post
I’m trying to convince myself I haven’t f***ed myself up for life, but it feels that way.
Biggest mistake I made was believing everything I felt.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Noone has any reason to lie to you.

I see from other threads you've just come back from a relapse.

I think you need to try and be patient.

Memory issues and foggy brain are pretty common and are part of most peoples early recovery experience.

After about 90 days I felt more normal, and I hope thats the case for you too.

D
Thank you all, I get so results-impatient but I have no choice but to be.

and yes, Dee, you’re right. Reset was hit Friday so today is 3.. there are always 10,000 reasons to procrastinate, the worst of which for me being the “start with a fresh week”.. so I’d let myself go through the weekend and start on Monday. But then the Monday hangover is a bear so you need a nip or so Monday AM to fight it off. Monday evening: “well, it’s not like today is a clean slate anyway...” and one or two turns into too much, and on and on and on and on it goes. I’m happy to walk into the week tomorrow having conquered the weekend, with no hangover.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Biggest mistake I made was believing everything I felt.
That's awesome! If you don't mind I am going to hold onto that