Notices

Sober today

Old 04-14-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober today

Day 530 for me today. Just wanted to say to anyone struggling..... don't drink today. Don't worry about tomorrow or next week.... just don't drink today.

Being present in every moment over the last 17 months has allowed me to get my life onto the right path.... the path that's right for me. I don't always notice all the advantages of sobriety but I took some time this morning to think about them. During the last 17 months I've redecorated my house, written a book, been promoted at work, run 3 half marathons, fallen in love with my husband again, been the best mother I can be, cut toxic people out of my life, learnt to say 'no', rediscovered my sense of humour, developed new friendships and learned to like myself again.

When I first got sober I wanted to feel better NOW. I wanted my life to be better NOW. But it doesn't work like that. Once I got into the sober flow of things I stopped thinking about how I wanted my life to be... I just got on with living my life.

Halloween 2016 was when I decided to stop drinking and I recently found my diary from that time. I can remember writing the words but it feels like that diary was written in a different time, on a different planet. In October 2016 I was paranoid, confused, sad and desperate. In April 2018, life is no easier than it was then (life is never easy, it's not supposed to be) but now I feel happy, strong, optimistic and excited about my future. The only thing that has changed in that time is that I stopped drinking alcohol. I'm so glad I decided to stop. I will never regret my decision to stop. It is the best decision I ever made.

So, I'm looking forward to another sober day. I hope you join me xxx
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Kenton

D
Old 04-14-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome inspirational post Kenton!! Thank you, and I will be joining you for a sober day today😊
Old 04-14-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post,thanks!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
... During the last 17 months I've redecorated my house, written a book, been promoted at work, run 3 half marathons, fallen in love with my husband again, been the best mother I can be, cut toxic people out of my life, learnt to say 'no', rediscovered my sense of humour, developed new friendships and learned to like myself again.

...In October 2016 I was paranoid, confused, sad and desperate. In April 2018, life is no easier than it was then (life is never easy, it's not supposed to be) but now I feel happy, strong, optimistic and excited about my future. The only thing that has changed in that time is that I stopped drinking alcohol. I'm so glad I decided to stop. I will never regret my decision to stop. It is the best decision I ever made.

So, I'm looking forward to another sober day. I hope you join me xxx
And this is what people mean when they say that sobriety can give you a life that is (at the start of the journey) beyond our wildest dreams.

Congratlations Kenton.

BB
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Kenton and a huge congratulations on 530. Best decision I ever made too and it's people like yourself who give me inspiration to keep at it x
Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post and congratulations.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lovely post Kenton. It’s amazing what we can do when we break free from the booze😊
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou for such a inspirational post
I will willing join you all in another content sober day .
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Kenton!! Love your post and your enthusiasm!!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kenton! I could have almost written your post, it felt that familiar. We are on the same timeline, I chose sobriety on Nov. 1, 2016, and I recognize so much of what you speak. Congratulations on 530 days!