Notices

50 Days and Feeling Horible

Old 04-13-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

50 Days and Feeling Horible

Is it possible at 50 days after quitting alcohol my symptoms are the result of Post-Acute-Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). I'm feeling like a hypochondriac after multiple doctor visits.

Background: I used to drink up to a bottle of wine every night for many years. I quit cold-turkey 50 days ago, and have experienced significant dizziness, fatigue & focus issue since then.

At first I thought it might be due to flu (which I did have) but it has not improved since getting over the respiratory infection a month ago. Could this be 'normal' and what can I do?

I'm very worried about the impact this is having on my ability to work (I'm a technology related exec) and my family. It's very scary driving a car, feeling I might faint at times.

Any advice or encouragement would be so welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I didn't come this far to only come this far

Oops... I meant "Feeling Horrible"
Old 04-13-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 days! That is good you are keeping close with your docs, if there was anything to worry about, they would let you know.
Re-entering the world without running and hiding behind booze is an eye opener, but you will find it is a much better place to be.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a lot longer than 50 days to feel significantly better when I finally quit drinking for good. One thing that kept me going was the realization that I really had only two options : 1) stay sober and see if it got better; 2) drink again and be assured that it will NOT get better.

I went with Option 1 and things did, in fact, get better.

Time takes time. If you were drinking to excess for "many years," it may be a bit much to expect to feel 100% within 50 days of stopping.

Another thing that helped me was to become an active participant in my own recovery. I had to make a lot of changes to the way I approached life and dealt with its challenges. That way, I was doing what I could to help myself feel better even if my brain and neurology still needed a bit longer to catch up.

Are you involved in any sort of dedicated recovery effort or program?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time to get back to normal functioning. Fifty days is great, but still early in recovery. Give it time.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Hang in there, it will get better!

I had many things pop up in the first few months, which led to many doctor visits. I'm 5 months in and pretty much everything has since cleared up.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stephan
None of us are qualified to diagnose PAWs - this is the best link I have for PAWs tho - see if it rings any bells:

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Congrats on 50 days - hope you feel better soon

D
Old 04-14-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Steph,

Ime...I had horrible agoraphobia, dizziness, exhaustion, etc etc for well over a year.

Thinking back, these symptoms had been escalating for over 20 years.

I was a binger.

I didn't see a Real Dr. Until i was over 2 years clean. I didn't want anything in my medical history.

I found that when i would get adrenaline rushes...e.g. exercise, riding roller coasters..i felt amazing. So, i had faith i would eventually normalize.

I read somewhere that there is irreversible brain damage and that our brain has to rewire. I figure that takes a loooooong time.

I am still a bit jacked up, but i am 95% better these days. It is still getting better.

I still crave at times, but i believe if i relapse i might not be able to handle the mental ramifications.

I don't have another relapse left.

Scared straight i guess.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm feeling like a hypochondriac after multiple doctor visits.

Did the dr do blood work? If not, and you are still feeling crappy, have the dr look at electrolytes, b vits, D, fasting glucose.

The first 90 days are tough. I'm careful to hydrate like crazy. Eat super healthy.
And most importantly don't drink. That will simply send you back to Go.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, what Frickaflip said. When I'm dizzy it's hydration or electrolytes.

When I eat well balanced meals with lots of fruit and vegetables and drink a lot of water things go well for me. When I resort to salty meals and sugary drinks I start getting symptoms.

Also, in early sobriety I was acutely aware of everything inside and outside my body. That dies down, but it takes months.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had all the same symptoms as you describe and had multiple visits to the doctor. The lessened greatly between 90-100 days. Hang in there. It really does get better but its not a straight line.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I had those symptoms and others at 50 days. I didn't feel somewhat normal until abt 9 months. Hang in there, it's worth it.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 50 days of sobriety. I hope you stay in close contact with your dr to discuss your health issues. As others have said, the healing from alcoholism does take awhile.