Notices

At a loss

Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At a loss

I don't know what to do. I've tried everything (therapy, AA, distracting myself, new hobbies, new friends , etc) and nothing works permanently. I can go a certain period of time, 2 weeks, a month, etc without drinking but I always fall back into it. I can control myself a lot when I'm out and making it seem like I'm not an alcoholic, but my significant other knows my past and it's tearing us apart. My significant other threatened to leave me last night if I don't get this under control. I just don't think I can. I have no idea what to do.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

did the therapist give you actions to do?
did you work the steps of AA or just go to meetings?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I had to be willing to change a whole lot of stuff. Not only people, places and things, but how I relate to those things. I mean everything.

Acceptance is step 1. I'm an alcoholic, I cannot drink without massive negative consequences. I hurt myself, the ones I love and potentially complete strangers. I am childish, selfish, and insane when I drink. Period. Drinking is not an option. Period.

I had to have help. So that's what I did. Rehab. A few times. AA, a strong commitment to my physical health and a strong commitment to my daughter. And a strong use of free will. I have choice. I'm not physically addicted right now....if I drink its because I choose to be selfish and childish. For me, that's the truth.

If you want it badly enough, the resources are everywhere to help you.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back bringmeback
yeah I was caught in a cycle of drinking...feel awful...stop...fell better...drink again.

Posting here daily helped. Its hard to rationalise that you're ok when you have past posts, and the posts of others, to remind you you're not OK.

I also made a lot of changes in my life - changes about what I did for fun, who I hung out with, how I solved problems, how I relaxed, how I dealt with boredom...
]
I found support and I used it...especially in the tough times when all I wanted was a drink. The support got me through.

It was a lot of work but I really wanted change

D