Notices

Feeling Great - But

Old 04-12-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Great - But

Thought Id offer something Ive just read on Dopamine.

"As such, the study authors conclude that, while acute alcohol withdrawal may be associated with a hypodopaminergic state, prolonged abstinence actually leads to a hyperdopaminergic state – meaning dopamine levels in the brain are higher than normal. Crucially, they say that both of these states are representative of a dysfunctional reward system, and therefore increase a person’s vulnerability to relapse."

Thus explaining why my "science head" is happy !! 🤒🤒🤒 - but Ive got to watch my back. I will of course. 💪💪💪
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
Thought Id offer something Ive just read on Dopamine.

"As such, the study authors conclude that, while acute alcohol withdrawal may be associated with a hypodopaminergic state, prolonged abstinence actually leads to a hyperdopaminergic state – meaning dopamine levels in the brain are higher than normal. Crucially, they say that both of these states are representative of a dysfunctional reward system, and therefore increase a person’s vulnerability to relapse."

Thus explaining why my "science head" is happy !! 🤒🤒🤒 - but Ive got to watch my back. I will of course. 💪💪💪
Regards
Dave 🤠
Hi Dave,
I’ve been wondering about the role of Dopamine during early abstinence. I think I could literally feel that it hadn’t restored itself after about 4 weeks sober and I unfortunately relapsed because it’s so uncomfortable and so hard to function in the real world. I think if I had told myself I felt this bad because of the shortage of this neurotransmitter but to hang in there. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi CAC.
Try Pleasure Unwoven - Youtube
Might be of use.
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAC1013 View Post
Hi Dave,
I’ve been wondering about the role of Dopamine during early abstinence. I think I could literally feel that it hadn’t restored itself after about 4 weeks sober and I unfortunately relapsed because it’s so uncomfortable and so hard to function in the real world. I think if I had told myself I felt this bad because of the shortage of this neurotransmitter but to hang in there. Anyone know anything about this?
Have you heard of PAWS? Dee has a great link about it that I have trouble finding. It's not just dopamine. Your brain chemistry changes when you drink all the time. Taking the alcohol away puts you in a chemical imbalance while your brain adjusts to life without alcohols stimulation.

It affects everyone different and for different periods of time. It's awful for me but no so bad anymore after 14 months of sobriety.

The first six months were complete insanity for me.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lets hope Dee comes to the rescue - Id like to take a look myself
Dave 🤠
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

prolonged abstinence actually leads to a hyperdopaminergic state – meaning dopamine levels in the brain are higher than normal.

This would be a good thing, right?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
prolonged abstinence actually leads to a hyperdopaminergic state – meaning dopamine levels in the brain are higher than normal.

This would be a good thing, right?
I believe that is referring to the pink cloud, which doesn't last.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I thought of the pink cloud as well.

I don't think it's the hyper state itself is the problem...which is that what goes up must come down. When that state dissipates, people may relapse due to feeling low again and wanting to feel better now that the artificial "high" is gone.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
I believe that is referring to the pink cloud, which doesn't last.
Bummer!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try - "Pleasure Unwoven" on Youtube folks
Dave 🤠
Old 04-17-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by daveglass1 View Post
Try - "Pleasure Unwoven" on Youtube folks
Dave 🤠
That was good. Thanks for sharing.

Reading about how the brain reacts really helped me out as I had unbelievable anxiety and was very emotional. I then understood it was just my brain recalibrating.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Have you heard of PAWS? Dee has a great link about it that I have trouble finding. It's not just dopamine. Your brain chemistry changes when you drink all the time. Taking the alcohol away puts you in a chemical imbalance while your brain adjusts to life without alcohols stimulation.

It affects everyone different and for different periods of time. It's awful for me but no so bad anymore after 14 months of sobriety.

The first six months were complete insanity for me.
The article is on digitaldharma.net under the tab PAWS.