Notices

Eight. Whole. Days

Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eight. Whole. Days

Only have one week under my belt but already things are getting better. Last night was probably the first night I was able to sleep through the entire night without waking up to some made up- mysterious sounds.

I have been drinking an excessive amount of green tea. I think i just like the process of making the tea, it takes my mind off everything else for a while.

I worked this weekend, which helped take my mind off drinking, and although its been my first sober weekend I feel like because of work it doesn't really count.

Next weekend will be the real test, I have a work function on Friday that I have to go to and I'm sure most people will be drinking. Also I have Saturday and Sunday completely off so I wont have work as an excuse or distraction.

The good news is that the weather will be nice, so maybe I can think of some things to do with the dog that will keep us out of the house and doing something active.

Anyway, thanks for the support this far everyone..just being able to browse the forums has been a huge help.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 8 days!

Envision how you're going to stay sober through your work function. Practicing it in your mind before hand makes it easier to execute at game time.

Then, beware the 'day after voice'. The one that comes around the next day to say "well done on getting through that drinking function without drinking. You deserve a nice reward!"

Embarrassed to say I fell for that more than once.

Way to get it done!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cayde6 View Post
I have a work function on Friday that I have to go to and I'm sure most people will be drinking.
If there is a function where there is drinking, then it's not work. And maybe not so important to attend.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on day 8! I’m day too! The first weekend in probably 2 years without a drink, and it was nice to not be hungover! Had it’s low points but I think that’s a given!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If there is a function where there is drinking, then it's not work. And maybe not so important to attend.

This, and if you must go it's strongly recommended to have an exit plan in place if things start to get hard.

Being around drinking is the hardest for me because my brain tries to tell me I'm missing out and then it circles around to how I screwed up and it's my fault and the whole thing kind of loops and cycles in my head. I end up feeling like I'm being punished for something.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on eight days, Cayde. Whenever I think about drinking I 'play the tape' through and realize what would happen if I had one--in the first place it would never be just one, and in the second place it would be an utter disaster.
Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 days. I am on day 7 today... Keep up the good work.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Cayde. I treasured my recovery like a child..I think it's that important. Congrats on 8 days

D