Notices

day 3

Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I'm not really sure what all to say.

I'm only 23 and I've had a lot of problems with alcohol. I was going to type a very lengthy post explaining all of these problems in detail, but I decided against it for now. I will state that I have lost friends, relationships, trust of my family, teeth, and have had some legal issues regarding my drinking all in just the 3 years and I've now come to realize that if I've had that many problems just in the 3 years that I've been drinking that I need to stop now.

This is my 3rd day of sobriety and it feels like it's been weeks. Every day just feels long and boring. I realize that I have no hobbies that don't involve getting drunk. I'm also going through a really hard breakup and I'm feeling 873 emotions that I haven't allowed myself to feel without drinking in years. I also haven't told anyone that I'm doing this yet because I don't want to fail and have everyone know. I just feel really alone.

Anyway, right now I'm throwing myself into AA meetings to quench the boredom and loneliness. Does anyone have any other suggestions for things to do? I think once it gets warmer out it'll be a little easier since I can do more outdoor activities but right now I've just been sitting in my apartment alone staring at my laptop.

Anyway, thank you anybody who read this, I hope you're all doing well.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi stars! It's wonderful you've come to this decision -- it sounds like your problem with alcohol was doing you and those around you a lot of harm. You'll hear this a lot on these forums but it's true -- if you kept drinking, it would only get worse. Good on you to have found AA -- it can help a lot!

It sounds like you're looking for something sober (besides AA) that will seriously engross you, and take your mind off problems and solutions-in-a-bottle.

Maybe give some different hobbies a try-out -- baking? (I always think I'll bake lol). Lots of people on these forums get heavy into exercise -- running, kickboxing, whatever floats your boat.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Stars
When I made the life saving decision to get sober I really struggled with a mind that was bored and restless whenever I had any kind of downtime. I used to dread any time I had off work. I have horses, so early in my recovery I actually compared it to a horse grazing in a field. If you watch that horse throughout the day it will move all over the field grazing in different spots. It will eat different types of grasses and get exercise as well. I compare this to my mind. Before I began drinking as a way of life my mind would "graze" throughout the day. I would have fresh ideas and inspirations which would motivate me to get up and move and act on my ideas. This would bring me a sense of well being. Alcohol stopped the natural grazing of my mind. I would sit in one spot in my mind and alcohol would do all the work. Unfortunately, like many here, I crossed the threshold into the very dark and impossible place that alcohol can take you. When I made the critical decision to quit drinking my mind had become dependent on alcohol to do the natural grazing so it was very difficult to find a purpose and a drive when I had time off. The longer you stay away from drinking the more time your mind will have to heal and go back to the essential natural rhythm that is so important to your well being. Stick around, Stars. You will find a lot of excellent advice and support on this site.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I watched a ton of videos on YouTube my first few days and did a lot of reading around here.

Some really good AA speakers to look for that also helped clarify what AA is really all about - Bob D and Chris R were really good.

-B
Old 04-08-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome starswindow2

good for you on tackling this at a young age

congrats on day three.

There's a list here that might spark some ideas:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

Staying sober meant more than just filling my day tho - I needed to work out an action plan for not drinking too.

Read around post as much as you want and see what others are doing to stay sober - there's a lot of support and good ideas here.

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Starswindow, ad welcome to SR.

My plan was similar to yours. I threw myself into..........every aspect of AA. I somehow understood that AA was about more than just meetings. I got a sponsor, and worked the steps. Within 90 days I had recovered. I was 22 when I started, I will be 61 in a month. Haven't had a drink in all that time, and I have had a fantastic life. It's yours for the doing.