Fitbit for Mindulness??

Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Fitbit for Mindulness??

I saw an ad on FB for a gizmo/app which was advertised as "Fitbit for Mindfulness" and I was wondering if anyone had it.
Basically, it's a little gadget which keeps track among other things of your breaths etc... and sends you text messages when it gets off whack.

It's called Spire Stone (hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning it here) and it claims to be Proven To Capture Stress and Provide Relief
It states that it monitors your breaths all day to keep you in sync with your emotional health. I cannot find a price but it's probably fairly expensive.

Anyway, does anyone have one? Is it helpful?
Old 04-06-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do not have one of these specific devices, but I have used health tracking apps on my phone and a fitbit bracelet before to monitor my health.

For me it actually had an adverse effect - I use mindfulness as a tool to help with my anxiety ( GAD and health ). The ability to track my heart rate and things of that nature at any given moment actually made my anxiety worse and in a sense made my efforts to live mindfully harder.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I for one would like something/someone to pinch me when I stop breathing or breathe too shallowly. Like ten times a day or whenever something stresses me out. I swear you'd think I was a rabbit who just saw the shadow of a hawk flying over. "Do not move. Do not breathe until this threat is over."

Regardless if it's even a real-life threat.

If I believed in spending money on body-tracking devices this one might be the one. Does it have a vibrate or pinch feature?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I do not have one of these specific devices, but I have used health tracking apps on my phone and a fitbit bracelet before to monitor my health.

For me it actually had an adverse effect - I use mindfulness as a tool to help with my anxiety ( GAD and health ). The ability to track my heart rate and things of that nature at any given moment actually made my anxiety worse and in a sense made my efforts to live mindfully harder.
I can totally see how this would be the case, Scott I think it's called "excessive checking- "How am I now", "I wonder if I'm ok".
I learned that if I worry less about how I'm feeling, the worried feeling goes away quicker.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
I learned that if I worry less about how I'm feeling, the worried feeling goes away quicker.
That sounds like a blurb. It's not but I'm thinking of selling it as a slogan!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
Scott I think it's called "excessive checking- "How am I now", "I wonder if I'm ok".
Yes, that's exactly what its called. I used to obsessively check my pulse, blood pressure, etc. I even went on a kick of checking my blood sugar for a stretch of time. In most cases i was searching for some health problem or potential problem that of course never materialized.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hold my breath so am going to check this out.

So I just checked it out and seems you can do the same thing with a Fitbit that also does so much more (and I have).

Will let you know!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you for the feedback everyone.
I think I will stay away from it, after reading your posts (especially Scott) I could completely see myself obsessing about it which would defeat the purpose.

Dropsie, I look forward to seeing how it goes for you
Old 04-08-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I think I will stay away from it, after reading your posts (especially Scott) I could completely see myself obsessing about it which would defeat the purpose.
it did rather strike me as being the antithesis of mindfulness!
Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

I have a Fitbit which, among other categories such as pulse, run and other exercises, has a stopwatch and a category of "Breathe" for 2 minutes. You just match your breathing with the monitor. I have used it from time to time. It helps and I've found it drops my pulse. I don't use it often, but it's sort of neat.