Notices

Going into inpatient rehab ...

Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jon

Going into inpatient rehab ...

I just said screw it...and threw all my cards on the table it's time I get tough and take big steps. I've been going over this again and again with this rehab thing and by Monday I'll be checking in for a 13 month inpatient rehab program. Each drunken moment just makes me more scared of how I might end up, where, and if I will end up...Wish me luck..Once I get there it shall be my first official day sober but I may not be able to use my cell for a couple of days or I don't know, I'm not exactly sure how the program will work exactly but I have a really amazing sponsor who is going to help me through the year of sobriety....Also best wishes and hopes that all have a great year!!

Last edited by hollowx; 04-05-2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: adding things
Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear from you again hollowx. I think you're dong the right thing man - best wishes
D
Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

13 months inpatient is quite a commitment hollowx, it sounds like you mean business. All the best anyway.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

That is a big committment and obviously it is long enough to get you past the physical and mental aspects of early recovery.

If I could offer one piece of advice, based on my experience cooperating with long term rehabs, it would be from day one, never lose sight of the fact that one day you will be discharged back into the world, and you better be prepared for it.

Long term rehab can get pretty comfortable once you get to know the ropes. It gets easy to coast. The saddest thing I see is when a patient suddenly realises the holiday is over, and they haven't done anything to really change. They get frightened about their release.

It is wonderful that your sponsor will be with you on the journey. Make the most of him to build your recovery and get set up for rejoining the mainstream of life.

All the best.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Wishing you All the Best!
Great decision! Finally ending the madness.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Inpatient was essential for me. Throw yourself into it and do everything that you can to advance your sobriety.

It’s great to be in a safe space for early sobriety, Just remember that the whole time that you are there alcohol will be doing push-ups in the parking lot waiting for you to get out. So spend your time getting even stronger. Start your sober life plan as soon as you can.

Rehab is a means, not an end.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear of your decision and commitment. This will be a good move for you. Keep us updated hollowx. I love your style of writing and honest expression.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hollowx View Post
I just said screw it...and threw all my cards on the table it's time I get tough and take big steps. I've been going over this again and again with this rehab thing and by Monday I'll be checking in for a 13 month inpatient rehab program. Each drunken moment just makes me more scared of how I might end up, where, and if I will end up...Wish me luck..Once I get there it shall be my first official day sober but I may not be able to use my cell for a couple of days or I don't know, I'm not exactly sure how the program will work exactly but I have a really amazing sponsor who is going to help me through the year of sobriety....Also best wishes and hopes that all have a great year!!
What an amazingly proactive move, hollowx. Such a great opportunity to beat this insidious thing that waits to destroy us.

Good for you. Well done.

Hope that you are able to give us progress reports.

Know that we will be thinking of you and praying for success!
Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Further to my post above...most people in my rehab were NOT there for the first time. Many who get as far as inpatient are sick enough that they need a facility to get clean, and it takes more than once.

Don't be one of them. You went this to be the ONLY time you do inpatient.

Those that committed to sobriety and followed a strong and specific recovery plan haven't bounced back. Just spoke with someone that hit her one year, and she's fantastic.

Commit not only to going, but to only going ONCE.

Rehab was a fascinating experience (and humbling), and I actually enjoyed my time there. But it's not anything I'd care to repeat.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad that you decided to do what you needed. Keep in touch when you can and let us know how you are doing.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very, very best wishes to you. I think it’s an incredibly courageous thing you’re doing.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! Never, never, never give up!