Notices

Alcohol Free (or nearly free) Beer

Old 04-05-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Free (or nearly free) Beer

Hi,
Just been on another thread and was reminded.
On my Twitter , as Im following some sobriety related sites , I got an advert for 0.5% by volume bottled British ale.
This is different to ales (beers) from foreign (ex -uk) climes but my premise is the same.
So - you got used to the taste - or got a taste for it - beers maybe wines.
What are our thoughts on making space in our lives for these types of items???
Are they the workings of a dark force - or perfectly passable - if not as a substitute, but because you like it and you can?
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-05-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

There are too many associations with the real thing. It's a slippery slope.

I've been sober 4.5 years and found many other tasty non-alcohol drinks to enjoy. And let's face it, I don't know of many in recovery who drank alcohol simply for the taste.

It ticks me off that the algorithms of social media put ads for such beverages on your feed when they see a Twitter user follows sobriety sites. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a few threads on the subject.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...archid=8166618
Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

id stay away its kinda like wondering if THC free weed would be good to smoke?
Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by damascus1986 View Post
id stay away its kinda like wondering if THC free weed would be good to smoke?
or crack free crack.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll get different opinions(like I did when I asked),as everyone's recovery is different. I cook with beer/liquor sometimes myself and tried the NA beer a few times..tasted like crap to me.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Drinking beer of any kind is part of my old life not part of my new. Recovery is a life style not a diet.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

What are our thoughts on making space in our lives for these types of items???
Are they the workings of a dark force - or perfectly passable - if not as a substitute, but because you like it and you can?
It's all about behaviours for me Dave.
[QUOTE]
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D[/QUOTE**

I would really give this idea some rigorous thought and try and work out what your motivation is.
I'd be asking my self questions like

Do you want to pass for normal?

Is not drinking making you feel self conscious?

Did you enjoy the social aspect of your recent drinking...

those kinds of things.

I know they are uncomfortable questions, but I think you need to ask them of yourself, especially just coming off a relapse/slip or whatever you want to call it..

D
Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I Did Actually Like The Taste Of Beer

I dont feel threatened by the NA version
My downfall was beer that didnt taste like beer i.e the Super stuff - Super ciders and the like. In fact my darkest of recent times came after getting busy with the strong ciders. I would never have drunken sweet stuff if it wasnt a cost/speed effective way to get hammered.
Im only throwing it out for discussion - my own leanings on the subject are fairly neutral . I did suspect that the response would be negative. I cant work out whether negativity stems from merely a "We've seen it all before" standpoint - or just that anything that falls outside a normally prescribed boundary or invisible rulebook automatically dooms everybody to the same outcome???
For the same reason I dont believe that all studies on rats mean that that gives evidence for a positive/negative outcome of a cure , lets say for arthritis, on humans.
However - I do value your views whether I agree or not as Im learning and this last month has been good for me on here.
Thanks to all
Dave 🤠
Old 04-06-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cant work out whether negativity stems from merely a "We've seen it all before" standpoint - or just that anything that falls outside a normally prescribed boundary or invisible rulebook automatically dooms everybody to the same outcome???

its a site called SOBER RECOVERY. those two words and non alcoholic beer go togetheras good as water and oil mix together.

plus, the people here care about the people coming here looking for help- we arent going to condone behavior that isnt going to support recovery.

if you want to drink it, drink it. THOUSANDS of non alcoholic drinksavailable and you seem to be defending and rationalizing drinking these.
if you didnt have a problem with it, you wouldnt being thinking it could be a dark force- you already know there are possible negative consequences.
russian roullette was a game i had to stop playing.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dave, just go back and read your threads before you decide to try it.
want to possibly start a miserable journey to rehab again?
Old 04-06-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

I tried NA beer years ago and did't like the taste. I didn't even finish the 6 pack, it was so horrible. My purpose in drinking it was to use it as a non alcoholic substitute for real beer.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I bought a 6 pack of NA beer once. After about two I just dumped the rest as it just seemed pointless and I thought to myself "What's the point of drinking beer if you aren't getting drunk?"
Old 04-06-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

C'mon Dave.

A few days ago you drank - since then you've been adamant, at pains even, to insist you learnt your lesson...

now you're thinking about NA beer and calling into question the opinions of folks who aren't giving you the green light.

I've been there,

Thought 'these people don;t know me'.
'I can beat this my way'.

Didn't turn out so well.

I share my experience.
Nothing to do with rats . No dogma either.

what you do with that share is up to you Dave
Good luck with it, man.

D
Old 04-06-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No dice for me. I also avoid alcohol in food. It's not a fear thing at 25 mo and change sober, it's just my choice of lifestyle.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don’t drink it.

There is no upside to doing so, only a massive downside.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t touch it.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"the workings of a dark force"? That's an odd way to describe it ..but I wouldn't drink NA beer
Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No way. You’re looking for a substitute for, not an alternative to alcohol and that will end in grief. Anyway, who loves the taste of beer so much they can’t do without it? It’s the alcohol in the beer you’re really grabbing after, not the taste. And that can only lead in one direction.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I was never one to agree with everyone else ...

I drink NA beer occasionally. Some of it's truly horrible but there a couple I quite like. My problem is most cold soft drinks are sweet and I don't have a sweet tooth. Fizzy water's OK but it's just ... fizzy water. There is no chance of NA beer making me want to drink real beer; I only drank real beer (as strong as possible and as quickly as I could) for the alcohol when I couldn't have anything stronger.

I understand those who don't touch NA beer and I respect their choice. Anybody who is worried it might be a trigger for them should avoid it.