Notices

Enough is enough

Old 04-04-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is enough

I have been in treatment before and thought I could handle my drinking again. But that is so untrue. Lately it has caused problems in my marriage and with my family. It recently affected my job and I am so tired of living this way. Thankfully I still have my job but the drinking at lunch could of caused termination. I wake up and if there is alcohol around from night before I can't control myself and think it'll help me feel better. I have been in rehab and know what I need to do but I am just so scared to give it up completely.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have totally been there--the same kinds of wreckage and the same sick thinking about leftovers in the morning. The only thing that I don't share is drinking at lunch. I would never have gone back to work!

Why do you think you are afraid to quit? What will you miss?

I feel fear too, so your post helps me think about my own issue. What are we afraid of?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very scary to think of giving up alcohol completely. This crazy disease makes us believe we can't manage without drinking. But, you know, it's all lies. You can stop drinking and live a happy life without alcohol.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I, too, was afraid to give it up - thought I wouldn't be me etc... BUT I've been sober for almost 9 weeks and it's been pretty awesome!! Certainly had my moments but really nothing to fear with stopping. I would be fearful if I hadn't stopped!! I hope you give it a shot - you'll find that there is NOTHING to fear!!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem Maureenm. It was scary for me too - but even scarier when I thought about where I might be 5 years from now if I didn't stop....

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-04-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Maureenm.

I did the same thing once. I was sober 3 yrs. & went back out for 7. That's when I found SR - and the courage to change my life for good. You can do it - we will help.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking, I couldn't imagine life sober. Now that I'm sober, I can't imagine going back to drinking. It took some time, and lots of gratitude, but I finally feel comfortable in my own skin and I love living sober.

I hope we can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum

I'm only 18 days sober so not really in a position to give a lot of advice, but I will tell you that what's worked for me is keeping my mind in the present and focusing on ONE DAY AT A TIME. A life without alcohol sounds really scary to me too, but staying sober today? I can do that And if one day gets overwhelming, take it hour by hour. We CAN both do this!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Maureen. I had some decent sober time and then thought I could handle drinking again. It didn’t work out so well. I’m now seven months sober with a lot of help from SR. It was scary to take that first step but I’m so glad I did. You can make it happen too🙂
Old 04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Saw this quote today and thought it appropriate:
"Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear."
-George Addair
Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Maureen! Settle in here and read around for a bit. Many of us in the forums have made that scary decision and are now enjoying a new, more free life. It can be done, and it is worth it.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Maureenm.

I, too, was scared to stop drinking but the thing was that I had reached a point where I was more afraid to continue drinking.

The decision to become sober was one of the best decisions of my life.

My bet is that it will be the same for you.

Stay close. The people here really care.