Notices

Newcomer to the site. 66 days sober from alcohol

Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer to the site. 66 days sober from alcohol

I am a woman in my early 40s, now 66 days sober from alcohol -- the longest I've been without drinking since I was last pregnant and nursing -- and pretty taken aback lately at how physically challenging it has been not to drink. During the last week in particular, I have been very tired, plagued by migraine and stuck deep in what I think is often called brain fog; there has also been some aphasia, although as this is commonly an adjunct to migraine, it's hard to work out whether it's the headache causing it or the lack of alcohol. Either way, I'm assuming it will pass in the end given the body's extraordinary capacity for healing, but it's been quite the eye-opener even so. While I knew I had become a problem drinker in recent years -- drinking nigh-on a bottle of wine most nights isn't normal, and neither is thinking continually about whether you need to stop or stopping for a couple of weeks and then having a celebratory drink-up to mark your great success -- I don't think I'd fully recognized even so just how affected I'd become by drinking. I'm pretty horrified, to be perfectly honest! And it's only now, after a couple of months, that I'm beginning to see just how much my life had contracted around a wine glass.

I've lurked for a while on these forums, and I've found reading the experiences of others and the advice given by other members to be very helpful. Thanks to all, and I hope to be able to give a bit of help myself going forwards.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great on 66 abstinent days! Your comment about your attitude towards drinking, not drinking, etc. seem slightly insane, right? Most "normal" folks don't think like we did/do. So as the second step of AA says that we need to be "restored" to sanity, indicating that as far as alcohol is concerned we have become strangely insane. Point being, that what you are going thru is to be expected, we've all had that mental obsession, even as we don't consume alcohol. The next thing is to work on being restored to sanity. I used the program of the 12-steps along with support from a group and a sponsor, and I was restored to sanity. My wish is for you to move forward with recovery, as in order to stay abstinent we need to grow in recovery. A bright future is there, if we would only work the recovery program in earnest. Osmosis doesn't work for us alcoholics, but work will work.
Best always,
Reggie
Old 04-04-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Welcome wynwrights and Congratulations on your 66 days!
SR is a welcoming community and the good people here saved my life. Glad you're here.....
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 66 days. You will find great support here!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your 66 days!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I also have migraines and they are always much worse when I quit drinking. Usually from week one to about 6 months they are pretty frequent. Then they taper off. And I think they are getting worse for some reason postmenopausal.

Anyway, I have to make sure I am SUPER hydrated. And that I keep my blood sugar stable (by NOT eating sugar). That seems to help.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 66 days!!:-)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. My 90-100 days were characterised by all kinds of physical problems. I thought I was going to die. Rest assured it will get better! I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Glad you're here, reading and posting.

BB
Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

none of that sounds out of the ordinary to me wynwrights but of course if its concerning you, seeing your doctor is best

Welcome aboard

D
Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 66 days is quite some time.

I had brain fog really really bad for 6 months and pretty bad but I could tell it was easing for the next 6+ months after that. I still get it here and there at 14 months but it's not so distressing anymore.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 66 days! I really hope that you stick around and post some more, you're among friends who understand what you're going through.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you join us, wynwrights. My friends here helped me turn my life around. Posting & exchanging thoughts really helps with the anxiety we feel. Congrats on your 66 days - that's fabulous.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family WW. Glad you joined us.

It took me a few months sober to start feeling normal again. The one thing I was advised to do to strengthen my recovery was practice gratitude every day. Gratitude is a real game-changer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 04-05-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome, good wishes and ideas for entrenching sobriety. It’s all very much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Great going on your sobriety- I certainly went through a lot of physical (and mental and...) healing when I quit. I personally noticed a significant "jump forward" in health and what I could do etc, around 100 days. I have kept healing during my now 25 mo and change of recovery - it took time, and staying sober most importantly!

Glad you are here.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!