Notices

Why do people consider drinking then driving acceptable

Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just don't understand the thought process of 4 or 5 would be fine if it was just me.

A car is a potential lethal weapon a tonne of metal that can exterminate the life of people that are inside and even more likely those not inside. (Someone elses family) it does not distinguish between mother son or child.

What thought process is it that makes people able to justify compromising cognitive ability in any way with drugs or drink then get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

In the UK the limit is approximately 1 strong beer so what is the point no one drinks one beer if they are drinking beer.

My take on the legal limit is that it is there as a buffer for people who have 4to 5 beers the night before and in the morning of the next day there is residual amounts still in the blood stream. Not 4 or 5 then driven.

A 9 unit bottle of wine takes 9 hours to be processed out of the body it may be slower processing when sleeping.

Don't drink and drive! IT WRECKS LIVES!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What thought process is it that makes people able to justify compromising cognitive ability in any way with drugs or drink then get behind the wheel of a vehicle.
1) Alcohol tolerance increase over time. Some people really dont feel THAT drunk after having 4-5 beers. Although, blood alcohol level is still there in his/hers blood. Due to increased tolerance subject might not feel the same effects as someone who rarely drinks 4-5 beers in one sitting. One could be drunk-drunk and the other is just warming up. So to justify that, they claim that they infact are not that drunk and able to drive perfectly well.
2)Alcohol lowers inhibitions and changes personalities. One might be perfetly aware of consequentses of drunk driving when sober. But when blood alcohol level rises, the AV starts to talk more-more, until the user feels the need to get more from shop. Sometimes they choose the car, not even thinking of its illegalness or consequentses becuase of the lowerd inhibitions.
3)False sence of secuirity. "Nothing can go wrong, Im a good driver, its only a mile, surley no cops to pull me over on that distance" and so on. Usually lasts until the first DUI.

Luckly for me, I've never had a DUI but my dad is recovering alcoholic too and the push he needed to stop drinking was wrecking his car while being drunk. That was 15+ years ago.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is not ok and people who think it is, have a major issue.

There is a lot of acceptance and sweeping under the rug here on SR because people need to focus on recovery. This is a safe place for people.

However, I never drove drunk and that is not a statement that a "yet", needs to be put after. It is not ever a part of my being because of the feelings I have about it. Using black outs as an excuse is not an excuse. I believe in ignition interlocks should be in every vehicle. When I am driving my kid's to the doctor, soccer, swimming or just out for an ice cream, I should not have to worry about drunks on the road. I believe in no strikes, mandatory prison sentences, you want to act like an animal, there are special cages with cinder block walls.

As a family we have experienced losses from impaired driving. We have seen family and friends killed, recently an entire farm and families livelihood destroyed because a drunk driver hit a truck carrying diesel at 4pm on a Wednesday. Do you have any idea the remediation costs, not just monetary.

I stay out of the drunk driving threads because of my opinions. Not everyone thinks it is ok.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don’t think people in SR think drink/driving is ok. It is not condoned let alone encouraged, but when people work up the courage to face up to their addictions, they often come here with a lot of shame and self loathing and they are met with support, not their actions. As others here have said many times, hate the addiction not the addict.

I never drove drunk either, I don’t believe I ever would, but I did my share of other things I would never have believed I would do as I descended my slippery slope. The welcome and acceptance I have found here when sharing some deeply shameful behaviours is playing a big part in my recovery.

I agree 100% it is not ok to drive drunk, but the people here who have done and who want to change need help to make that change from incredibly dangerous behaviour. I believe it is possible to accept the person without glossing over harmful behaviour.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is no sane thought process, for alcoholics anyway. They think they will get away with it. They think they wont have the problem that those losers who get caught have. They are deluded. There is nothing rational about it. A sense of entitlement, an artificial sense of superior driving ability, incredible selfishness, and they beieve they are immune from consequences.

If you had told me that when I was drinking i would have been quite stunned. I would never believe I was like that. Just bad luck is all, if I get caught. Just insane, a total inability to connect the dots. Psychosis might be another name for it.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

John
Thank you for your reply

My little 🏇
Sorry for what you me and so many others have experienced due to people drinking and driving.
The loss of friends and loved ones unnecessarily.

Scotty
When ever I hear of drink drivers I can't help it, it pulls at anger strings deep down in me and I have to vent.

I appreciate that people come to SR for help and they get it from everyone here, however I do not think that we should gloss over subject matter for fear that drink drivers might feel bad about what they have done.
No one can take back the past mistakes they just have to learn to live with them. It is these mistakes that highlight an issue that must be raised so that more people can appreciate the magnitude of the consequences of 1 action.

It is indeed the now and the future that matters and as such the consequences of drunken driving need to be vocalised so that there is a real knowledge of the cost to all involved from the allowing to drive drunk, the driving drunk to the victims of drinking and driving and the ripple effect thereafter so that it knocks some reality back into the heads of those that think it's fine to drink and drive.

Sorry for venting this thread is not directed towards anyone however the subject matter is so very important and yes it MAKES ME SOOOO ANGRY! That anger is better out than in!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is no sane thought process, for alcoholics anyway. They think they will get away with it. They think they wont have the problem that those losers who get caught have. They are deluded. There is nothing rational about it. A sense of entitlement, an artificial sense of superior driving ability, incredible selfishness, and they beieve they are immune from consequences.

If you had told me that when I was drinking i would have been quite stunned. I would never believe I was like that. Just bad luck is all, if I get caught. Just insane, a total inability to connect the dots. Psychosis might be another name for it.
Hi Gottalife
Thank you for highlighting the paradox.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why do people find it acceptable to sabotage all the things they hold most dear through the course of addiction, destroy their relationships, continuously abuse their own bodies, etc. etc.

If you're in denial about even having an addiction, you're likely to be in denial about the dangers of the behaviors that addiction facilitates. And it's progressive. By the time someone is engaging in those behaviors they are that much harder to reach.

I haven't seen any glossing over of subject matter here. However is PSAs about drunk driving solved the problem, the problem would already be solved.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never drove drunk...but I never drove at all.

I was a drunk and willing passenger with drunk or high drivers hundreds of times tho.

We simply thought nothing bad would ever happen to us.

One guy I knew even argued he was a better driver drunk and high because he took 'more care'...

Unbelievably ridiculous, stupid and abominably selfish behaviour.

D
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi cosima

I hear you, however the abbreviation PSAs is lost on me.

The more people that appreciate the point that has been raised the better.

If this thread when read on this global forum is disgussed and disseminated amongst friends and family stops just one person from getting behind the wheel when drunk then it is 100% worth creating and covering the topic of the thread.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Public Service Announcement. I understand and respect your intentions..
Old 04-04-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

cosima
Perhaps a little OTT I think but thank you for the support.🤗
Old 04-04-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Its a fine line here Dust. If a person comes here and confesses their dark secrets, I certainly am not going to stand in judgment of them. Not only do I not have the right to do that, it isn't going to help. I feel that acceptance is important here. If someone is driven away immediately, they may continue to use. And then they many continue to use and drive. What good does that do?

I don't have to accept someone's behavior, but I can provide support if they wish to quit using. And if someone's behavior is too abhorrent to me, I don't have to post to them.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"I just don't understand the thought process of 4 or 5 would be fine if it was just me".

I think your post is meant to raise awareness, and help people to reconsider their actions while using.

However, beginning with a statement that was recently posted by a member singles them out, and seems unfair. I read the original post, and also felt worried about the ramifications of their drinking. I have had 2 DUIs, and I am not proud of it, it was 15 years ago. If I hadn't gotten my drinking under control (stopped), it may have happened again. You may be shocked to find out how many people get behind the wheel after drinking at diner, the ball game, or any event for that matter. Drinking IS glorified in the US.

Just being truthful. please don't use someone else's statement to point out their shortcomings.....it could've been done tactfully.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm going to chime in. Against my better judgement.

The incident that brought me here and sparked my recovery was a 3rd OWI. Yes, I'm one of those people - or I used to be. See it how you like.

I own it. I am responsible for it. I am horrified at MY irresponsibility and selfishness. I am deeply grateful that I did not harm anyone else. In my home a law just passed requiring a 4th offender to lose their license forever. I support it. An argument can certainly be made that even that is too lenient. I have pondered that quite a bit given my current situation and think it likely the case.

That said, if harsh punishment was the only thing required to prevent drunk driving it would be easy to fix. And therein is where I think the tone of this thread is a bit narrow and serves not much practical purpose other than your right to express your anger and frustration at my irresponsible behavior.

I ask for no quarter. I make no excuse. But I will also not be convicted by the court, nor will I be convicted by myself, of the potential of what I did or of what could have happened. Others may convict me. I can not nor wish to control that. But I will avoid those people and influences in my life much as I am working to eliminate other non-constructive and toxic influences in my life. I do not find it helpful nor effective in understanding or dealing with the problem.

There are mechanisms in place for punishment. If you don't believe it's harsh enough call your local politician and voice your concern - I mean that genuinely. I don't believe it healthy for SR to be one of those mechanisms - that's my opinion. Misses the point really. I believe that by the time people get here - I can speak only for myself - the consequences of our actions are very real and in full effect.

Some of the statements suggest that I think my behavior is acceptable or ok. That's a false premise. Would you like me to cast myself off a bridge? Am I or anyone else to be forever bound to my past behavior? If that's the standard then we're all screwed. Or have I lost my right to speak and express my opinions on such matters? It think we need to be very careful here...

Let me be clear - to those who don't take responsibility or try to justify driving while intoxicated I say get the hell out of denial and own it. The behavior is selfish, dangerous and wreckless. Lives are at stake. There is no justification.
But I wouldn't cast it as though all those people really believe that or are in such a mental state with life that it's reasonable to expect them to behave reasonably. That's not to say I make an excuse for it, but rather I'd rather not approach the subject so narrowly.

The answer to your original question seems rather obvious to me. There is no excuse. It's a symptom of insanity. If it was just an issue of understanding that as a means to solving the problem the problem would be solved. The problem is much deeper than that. A simple understanding of biology and psychology will explain our capacity to rationalize away behavior that is dangerous or should otherwise create bone crushing levels of anxiety. We all possess that potential. To hold ourselves above others - as though we don't have the capacity to do the unthinkable - is a dangerous place to put yourself. For the addict - it's even more pronounced - which is what ironically makes it so much more dangerous.

Please, vent away. Voice your anger. Do whatever you like. But please don't be surprised if the tone in the way this is presented here is called out. It's narrow and it misses the point in other ways and I don't perceive it to be particularly useful or constructive at solving the problem. We should all be wary of pointing at the faults and crimes of others - especially those of us who are alcoholics - lest we are unable to see our own equally destructive egos.

For those that are here and have driven drunk, or are here because you recently received an OWI... or worse. I will say this - I empathize. I understand.
I've been there and lived it. I hope that you use SR as a means to fix your problem. I welcome you as someone who is choosing to eliminate the behaviors in the past that put yourself and worse others at risk. Take it seriously. There's a lot at stake. It's about more than you.

Ok. Enough ramble. Thank you for letting me voice my perspective.

-B
Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

depends on which group of people youre referring to.
the vast majority of people dont find it acceptable. even people in recovery dont feel its acceptable.
then theres the still sick and suffering alcoholic.
i think sick and suffering explains why.

have you driven after drinking, dustitoff?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Addiction itself is mostly illogical, and we make a lot of really bad decisions when we are drunk. As far as why people drive drunk, you will likely never understand the "though process" as it is done in state of mind that is chemically altered for one, and illogical at it's core.

I think raising awareness of addiction is our best hope. Consequences are mostly meaningless to an addict.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

At the high(low)point of my drinking 'career' I didn't consider much outside of myself and my wants. It was basically my world and everyone else was lucky to live in it.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Frickflap
I totally agree with you.

Wildflower
I concur the original line on my first post should have been adapted slightly perhaps a change to 5 or 6 maybe a further tweak here or there.

I am afraid that I did not have the foresight to believe that this would be cross referenced.

The post is not about anyone at all. It is all about the act and even the process.

Beckley
Thank you for sharing

Tomsteve
I feel the tension running high with this post.
Perhaps I should not have mentioned that I was angry or steamed up in any way.
It's good to talk. My psychologist used to try to get me to open up about things but I was never able to do this.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
Perhaps I should not have mentioned that I was angry or steamed up in any way.
It's good to talk. My psychologist used to try to get me to open up about things but I was never able to do this.
I don't think there is any reason to not mention that you were angry about it. People die every single day because of drunk driving. I live in a metropolitan area of about 100,000 total surrounded by a lot of rural areas. Just about every weekend there are deaths reported in the local news where "speed and alcohol" were a factor.

So yeah- being mad about it is quite acceptable I think. And talking about it is also acceptable and appropriate.