Notices

Starting from the beginning

Old 03-31-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting from the beginning

Ten days ago I learned that my husband of 40+ years has been abusing alcohol for at least the last six months and mis-using prescribed medication for years.

He takes prescribed medication for depression and ADD. I thought his recent fatigue and slowing were due to medication side effects or perhaps early Alzheimers or Parkinsons. Not realizing he was intoxicated, his symptoms were so severe I thought he might be having a stroke. After medical workup for stroke it was determined that he was intoxicated-blood alcohol .211; MRI and CT normal.

We have begun our journey. He is attending AA and an intensive outpatient program. I am attending Al Anon, seeing a therapist (CAP) and reading Codependent No More. In many ways I would like to walk away from this marriage and in many ways, due to codependence, I'm afraid to do so.

My oldest son is supportive of both of us. My younger son is very supportive of me and very angry at his father. He has felt for many years that his father was not a major influence in his life.

I already know enough about the Al Anon program to say I don't know where I'm going and that today-I'm going to work on myself.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you posted and glad you are here!
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Well, on the plus side, at least he's reached out for help and it is something that CAN be worked on through recovery rather than some medical condition that is untreatable.

Hope you stick around and keep reading and posting.

BB
Old 03-31-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem to SR ljsam

D