Notices

Groups to join?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Groups to join?

Hi out there! 86 days down here, and I'm finding that my monthly group has gotten extremely quiet as time has gone on. It sounds like I'm complaining but I don't mean it that way, as no one is obligated to post and in fact it's probably better when done just because the person feels so moved. It's just that I just noticed I found it so therapeutic when there was a lot of discussion but now it's just a few of us and somewhat limited back and forth. I notice this forum has the most activity but are there other groups where you can somewhat get to know one another and have some regular discussions -- or does that just happen naturally if you spend enough time on the various forums? I'm sorry if I'm asking something that is helpfully explained in one of the stickies! Please feel free to point me there. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weekenders is fun, I am there usually on the weekends, here's a link:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...icken-egg.html (Weekender Mar. 29-Apr. 2: “The Chicken or the Egg?”)

There's the Year and Under thread,

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-60-a.html (One Year and Under Club Part 60)

Or any number of special interest things from fitness to plants, from golf to football and everything in between. Try looking through the Newcomers Daily Support threads.

You can always join any thread - I tried a lot of them and kept busy. My "class" thread died out pretty quickly too.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi Numblady,
i find that there are some people who have threads that consistently turn into ongoing ones and others are drawn to them over and over...you can find a few of those in the "alcoholism" forum; lively, not necessarily topic- focused, personable, of longer durations with more or less the same crowd and new folks dropping in and often staying.
there sems more straight-forward discussion in the Secular Connections forum, so check that out if it's discussing you're into.
Or start your own, post what's on your mind, and you might well find many of us like discussing stuff with you and others
Old 03-30-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, why not keep reading and posting on here and see if you do start feeling that way . I do now, but if I'm honest I can't really remember how long that took.

Do you go to any face to face meeting locally? That might be worth considering as well.

BB
Old 03-30-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I totally understand this: I credit my "Class" with being the sole difference this time from the many other attempts I've made over many years of trying. It got me posting more than I ever had before, and it felt safe and comfortable.

Even though we're down from a dozen daily posters to four hangers-on who post every few days, we still call it home base. Keep posting in your class thread; you never know who is lurking and reading, and you'll feel like you're maintaining some form of contact with folks you felt close to. Private messages are also good for reaching out to someone you really enjoyed hearing from.

I think for many of us, SR also means Social Recovery! Sometimes I just need a place to talk about the weather...
Old 03-30-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Have you tried 'Chatting'?
Leave a message for anyone who may want to chat with you. There probably are friends out there looking for someone like you, too! They can PM you and set a time to meet in the chat room.