Notices

Dad needs direction...

Old 03-25-2018, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dad needs direction...

Hello.....Im here to ask for help. I have done some research myself but wanted to see if maybe I missed something. Here is my story...I have a daughter who has battled this nasty addiction of heroin for almost 4 years. She has never received help let alone even asked for help until now. Today she sits in the county jail on a felony drug charge with a 6 month jail sentence. Recently she has opened up to me about getting the needed help to finally kick this drug. She wants a healthy lifestyle and wants to live life to the fullest and be free of the bondage of heroin. She has never been in recovery and she is very excited now to enter into it. Here is where I need direction from you out there.......We would like her to enter in a Pet Friendly Inpatient Drug Rehab Center. Also we need to see if we could get her on a scholarship to cover the cost. The pet friendly is very important because she has a dog that she is very close with. We believe the dog could help in many ways with her recovery so we would like to find a place for both of them. That's it that's all I have.....If there is someone out there that knows of a rehab like I described please contact me. Also the area we live in is Southern California so we would like to stay in this area if at all possible. Thank you so much and I hope to hear from you soon. God Bless
Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Not sure what you mean by a "scholarship," but I'm guessing you are trying to have the rehabilitation covered by insurance. Either hers or yours, if she is young enough and you have family coverage.

The only dog friendly that I've heard of in Los Angeles is Cliffside in Malibu. It's extremely expensive and I doubt you will get anything near full insurance coverage, but it might be worth a shot.

I totally get that it would be better for her to have a pet in her rehabilitation. However, her getting the best treatment possible that you can afford is more important than her having her pet. I know how hard it is, I had to leave my dog for 5 weeks last year for rehab. He had not left my side during my last illness and helped to keep me alive until I could get treatment (and he has been glued to my side ever since I got out!). Fortunately he was able to stay with my roommates. To be perfectly honest, knowing he was in good hands and NOT having him with me was, I believe, more beneficial than having him there with me. Inpatient treatment is all about 100% concentrating on you and your addictions and being isolated from the outside world so you CAN concentrate on nothing but your recovery. It may seem like a long time without a pet, but as I said, knowing the dog would be in good hands, I assume with you, may do her more good in the long run. Many places WILL allow people to bring a pet on visiting day, but that is not always advisable because it confuses the pet even more when they have to go home without their peoples.

If she is in jail, the criminal justice system will also have a big say in where she goes for treatment.

I have a feeling that finding an affordable rehabilitation that offers a good successful program which takes insurance and that the State of California will approve of given a felony may rule out any of the few programs that will allow patients to have their dogs.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your insight. Everything you say makes so much sense I just hope I can get her to at least think about what you have brought up. God Bless.

P.S. Yes the scholarship was in reference to having treatment fully covered by insurance. Neither myself or her mom have insurance to cover any recovery bills.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just a heads up, Bill..That Malibu place is like $40k-80k/mo..it's for celebrities and the like. My ex wife also got 'addicted' to rehab(s). Mindfullman pretty much nailed it... I mean..who's not in jail on drug charges not 'excited about recovery'? I've been to jail a couple times and I was 'born again' each time..only to do the same. The court's will have the ultimate say in everything. I'm sure she's listening to other inmates on how to 'beat this'...honestly..from a recovering drunk, with a 22yr old daughter I'd kill for....let her ride it out on her own on the recovery front. That's my advice. My best to you and your family.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

You nailed Cliffside as well DR. The reason I even know about it was that there was a gorgeous pampered privileged 22 year old lady at my recovery. She'd been to Cliffside and basically said she wasted $70K of her parents' money because she had absolutely no intention of getting sober. They were putting her through a second rehab, but weren't paying the $70K again. They have equestrian therapy there, she tried to bring her own horse....which is how I know about the pet-friendly thing.

I don't think she was an atypical patient/client at Cliffside. I haven't kept in touch with many people from inpatient, so I'm not sure where she is. She was very bright and had a lot to offer. I hope it took the second time; she was supposedly sober for at least a few weeks after she left.

I didn't need to go to jail to learn how to work the rehab system...there were plenty of criminals in inpatient rehab who taught me, among other things, how to carry drugs to avoid both arrest and getting ripped off, a better way to cook rock cocaine, how to beat a manslaughter charge....

I never had kids, so I'm not sure how I'd handle a 24 year old who ended up a heroin addict and in jail. I get the tough love way, but I don't think I could do that....at least the first time.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
You nailed Cliffside as well DR. The reason I even know about it was that there was a gorgeous pampered privileged 22 year old lady at my recovery. She'd been to Cliffside and basically said she wasted $70K of her parents' money because she had absolutely no intention of getting sober. They were putting her through a second rehab, but weren't paying the $70K again. They have equestrian therapy there, she tried to bring her own horse....which is how I know about the pet-friendly thing.

I don't think she was an atypical patient/client at Cliffside. I haven't kept in touch with many people from inpatient, so I'm not sure where she is. She was very bright and had a lot to offer. I hope it took the second time; she was supposedly sober for at least a few weeks after she left.

I didn't need to go to jail to learn how to work the rehab system...there were plenty of criminals in inpatient rehab who taught me, among other things, how to carry drugs to avoid both arrest and getting ripped off, a better way to cook rock cocaine, how to beat a manslaughter charge....

I never had kids, so I'm not sure how I'd handle a 24 year old who ended up a heroin addict and in jail. I get the tough love way, but I don't think I could do that....at least the first time.
My daughter 'seems' to be adjusted for her age..a few questionable moments already..I dread that day..again..I lived a few months of it during her high school years and I just dove deeper into the bottle,while 'holding it together' to the outside world..god that hurt! OP..I feel your pain,man. Had blocked that out.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bill,

I have a daughter her age -- its so heart breaking. Mine is straight as an arrow so far, but there but for the grace of god go us all.

Please tell her from me its a fight for her life literally. A dear friend of mine and my daughters (same age) was a short term heroin user and died after being sold 100% fentanyl -- coroner said he was dead the minute he injected.

MM,

To me, you are a great rehab success story, where did you go?

Putting aside the pet, money and law things, which are all important of course, there is so much difference between programs. I have rarely see someone come out of a program so grounded as MM.

I wish you well.