Notices

After years of failed attempts to quit .....

Old 03-24-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

After years of failed attempts to quit .....

Ok so after years and years of failed attempts to quit my binge drinking ,, i finally went to my dr. and asked for something that could help me. I had gone to her with this problem years ago, and she referred me to a psychologist who in turn told me that i needed to go to treatment for 3 months, and sent me on my way. My dr. decided to put me on Wellbutrin, this is an antidepressant , but also a medication to curb cravings ( mainly cigarettes) but apparently it can help you stop drinking.

Ive been on it for a few weeks but have had horrible sleep as a side effect. It not that i drink every day, i can go months, but when i have that first one its the beginning of a very long binge cycle, with usually devastating results. Im on the fence with this medication , but i will def give it a try. Has anyone else been given this to help them stop the cycle? if so would love to hear what the results were good or bad.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been on wellbutrin for depression, but I'm not aware of it being used for alcoholism. Have you seen the psychiatrist yet? They should be able to get you on something else if that they see fit.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maribell - good to 'see' you

I have no experience with Wellbutrin but I know others will have - it seems to be increasingly used for alcoholism these days.

Sorry about the horrible sleep - hope it gets better

D
Old 03-24-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I've been on wellbutrin for depression, but I'm not aware of it being used for alcoholism. Have you seen the psychiatrist yet? They should be able to get you on something else if that they see fit.
Yes it was a psychologist he was of no help, looked at me as if i was some kind of freak, when i dont drink i am very much into fitness, and bodybuilding, looks can be deceiving, anyways he said that the only way was to go treatment for 3 months, the end. Not helpfull in the least . I left feeling quite hopeless at that point.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Maribell - good to 'see' you

I have no experience with Wellbutrin but I know others will have - it seems to be increasingly used for alcoholism these days.

Sorry about the horrible sleep - hope it gets better

D
Thank you ,, it is getting better,, a little more each day, they say the side effects diminish after a few weeks, im almost at that mark.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maribell View Post
Yes it was a psychologist he was of no help, looked at me as if i was some kind of freak, when i dont drink i am very much into fitness, and bodybuilding, looks can be deceiving, anyways he said that the only way was to go treatment for 3 months, the end. Not helpfull in the least . I left feeling quite hopeless at that point.
By treatment do they mean rehab? Otherwise I think giving your insurance company a call and ask for a therapist that specializes in addiction, they should be more helpful.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What about heading for some AA meetings? The 12-step program has helped plenty of us learn how to Live Sober and learn new and better strategies for dealing with life and relationships and resist taking that first drink that would open the door to chaos.

BB
Old 03-25-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Maribell View Post
A psychologist isn't a medical doctor and cannot prescribe medications; a psychiatrist deals with psychological disorders with the use of medications.

I'm not sure how often general psychiatrists deal with alcoholism, but if you're seeing a head doctor with the intent of getting medications for treatment, then a psychiatrist is who you want to see.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Maribell, you can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Check out an AA meeting