Help with Mom

Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with Mom

I would define my mother as an abuser of alcohol/sleeping pils. She is unable to face her depression and anxiety. When the going gets tough she needs to escape. She is goes to meetings and has a counselor but nothing seems to make a difference. My father threatens to leave her but he won't as he is worried that she will end up not able to take care of herself. I am reaching out for support on what to do next. I know that we can not help her if she isn't ready to help herself but she is making it impossible to try and keep a relation with her as I now feel like the parent of a 60 year old.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BoxerLover317,

I have no advice. I can relate to the difficulties as I've been a similar situation. I'm hoping for the best for you.
StellaBlu
Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Boxerlover.
Welcome.
This is a tough one.
My sib, in his 60’s is alcohol addicted.
And he ain’t changing.
I think that some people are just trapped in their addiction and nothing and no one can change that.
I feel bad for your dad as he is there on the front line with her, but he has made his choices.
I would have some conversations with your dad and sibs, if you have any, about what they will do in the years ahead.
As in, assisted living or some home care?
Your dad will likely need help with her if he stays and her condition progresses, but that help needn’t be you.
You can be supportive of your dad, but still have boundaries so that your mom’s addiction doesn’t swallow you up.
Good luck.