Notices

Relapse? Are you kidding me? :-(

Old 03-22-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Relapse? Are you kidding me? :-(

Hi there.
First of all thank you for taking time to read this. I'm new here, and new as in the last 30 minutes.
My boyfriend had been sober and living in a treatment facility for the last 6 months. Alcohol, specifically good ol' whisky is his poison. Prior to the 6 months he went on a few month long binge, attempted suicide and walked out on his wonderful job, literally walked out in a drunken binge. He says I saved his life. I just loved the man who is my Prince Charming (with the exception of this little flaw). I'm sure you all are familiar with the story, the withdrawals, the denial and resisting treatment to finally welcoming the help and love.

His life took a blessed turn during these months of recovery, he entered into this treatment facility and graduated the 6 month program giving him a lot more leeway in the mandatory meetings he had to attend etc. He also got a very high paying job as an executive, but with that has come a lot of stress which leads me to tying in the title of this post........as of this past Sunday, the day of my birthday he drank again. He picked me up for our date and i could tell instantly that he had been drinking. Even after 6 months, when you know someone, you know how they behave. Of course he denied it, but now over the last 3 days he has finally admitted it to me, quit his job and thought again about suicide.
I'm mad, sad, disappointed and so very hurt. Its not about me, I'm starting to realize this and that's why I've come here, to hear what others are going through..

I saw a quote today that stuck with me and thought Id share:
"Don't be afraid of relapse. Constantly worrying about something that may or may not happen isn't healthy. If your loved one is in recovery, you should live in the moment - one day at a time- just like they are."

This is hard for me. I DO live in fear of this. I just want the man back that I fell in love with. Not the man that lies to my face and (i feel) ruins all he had going on that was positive only to have to start over.

I've never had any emotional connection to an alcoholic so this is all new territory for me. I don't understand how he could consciously choose to drink again when things were so good. When he promised me he would never hurt me again.

I'm so sad
Old 03-22-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Last2LetUdown
I'm sorry for what brings you here, but I know you'll find support and understanding.

I often tried to apply logic to my own drinking and there was no logic - I just wanted to drink.

I think you need to ask yourself if you're prepared for a lifetime like this - many do recover, of course, but sometimes people don't - and I think you have to at least think that possibility through?

D