Notices

Relapse

Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

Hi everyone,
I had a relapse over last weekend (St.Patrick's Weekend) went on a 3 day bender and now suffering Brian Fog big time, lack of motivation, poor sleep hence fatigue, Nausea. Day 2 again. Any thoughts???
Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

What led to your relapse?

I think part of the recovery plan is identifying new thought processes, habits, and routines to build an alcohol free life.

How far along in the process were you?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Any thoughts???
How about you?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back Carlingford. Every time I have gone back drinking it has taken a few weeks to feel ok again. Hang in there.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get a solid recovery plan in place so you don't do it again.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, every 10 year sober alcoholic started with one day! So, maybe you might think about going to meetings, meeting someone you admire and work with him, take suggestions on face value, and like what I did, do what I was told. My ideas got me drunk, maybe ideas from sober folks who had worked the steps could benefit me. Surrender is part of the beginning. Without surrender there is scant chance for a sober life. But, if you have tried everything else, why not try "the program" and the steps. Just might work, good luck
Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have to do whatever it takes to stay sober for me that meant ditching alcoholic friends, attending online AA meetings, posting on sober recovery when I was under pressure, locking myself away from society untill the cravings passed, and I made a promise that if I do not get to 30 days of sobriety I am of to Rehab I am on day 27 now.Hope you get the will to do whatever it takes, without it we are a mere vessel.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Relapse

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
What led to your relapse?

I think part of the recovery plan is identifying new thought processes, habits, and routines to build an alcohol free life.

How far along in the process were you?
Hi J50,
Thanks for your reply. A moment of weakness from a family dispute caused my relapse. I have put behind me and currently working on a plan to not let happen again. Still feel crap and don't want to be here again. I never went to a meeting in my life but now planning it. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Relapse

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Glad you made it back Carlingford. Every time I have gone back drinking it has taken a few weeks to feel ok again. Hang in there.
Thanks for reply DarklingSong yes been here before ....takes longer each time and my body at 56 not getting any younger.take care n thanks for reply
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
J50

Hi J50,
Thanks for your reply. A moment of weakness from a family dispute caused my relapse. I have put behind me and currently working on a plan to not let happen again. Still feel crap and don't want to be here again. I never went to a meeting in my life but now planning it. Thanks again.
I've been there.

I read something on a message board a long time ago where it said to make a pact with yourself to never say "f&ck it". To not give into the weakness of the quick fix.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
I've been there.

I read something on a message board a long time ago where it said to make a pact with yourself to never say "f&ck it". To not give into the weakness of the quick fix.
Yes indeed J50. I need to incorporate it. It was a moment of weakness on my part. I let myself and family down but on the mend. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thoughts?
sounds like whatever recovery action plan you had needs a fair bit of work Carlingford.

Here's some ideas that may help with your overhaul

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Well, every 10 year sober alcoholic started with one day! So, maybe you might think about going to meetings, meeting someone you admire and work with him, take suggestions on face value, and like what I did, do what I was told. My ideas got me drunk, maybe ideas from sober folks who had worked the steps could benefit me. Surrender is part of the beginning. Without surrender there is scant chance for a sober life. But, if you have tried everything else, why not try "the program" and the steps. Just might work, good luck
Hi Carlingford, you said your relapse was caused in part by a moment of weakness. I can buy that. At certain times alcoholics of my type have no effective mental defence against the fatal first drink. The thoughts that should deter us do not come with enough strength to save us. Definitely a weak moment.

So what would put us in such a defenceless position? Untreated alcoholism will do that of course, but there was another factor. I don't know about you, but the main cause of my repeated slipping and sliding was a refusal to follow the simple suggestions above.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi J50,
That is great that you are planning on a meeting. This recovery thing is amazing, especially if you don't drink!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Check out some AA meetings. There’s loads everywhere and they’re free. Only a desire to stop drinking is required.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and working on your recovery. You will find lots of support here.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you're struggling, it might be a good idea to enroll in a sober living program. You'll have more accountability, assistance maintaining your sobriety, and you'll probably make some other sober friends in the process.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A moment of weakness from a family dispute caused my relapse.
The problem with "relapse" is we look at it as "an accident", an unplanned event. When, if we really think about it, relapse is the "solution" we use in order to deal with a problem. The problem becomes our excuse to drink. I say excuse, because we fool ourselves into thinking we really want to stop drinking, but to do that we would have to find a different solution for "our problem". We really would like to drink, but with different results. We aren't satisfied with our drinking, elsewise we wouldn't make up excuses or use life as an excuse, or to get our family off our backs (I'm trying!) or save our job. Drinking was our answer! We want it to be our answer, because for a while we got lots of fun and escape and enjoyment from our drinking. It is only when "life" happens and we begin to see how drinking has affected our lives negatively that we begin to see if we can fix it ourselves, moderate, only drink at certain times, you know the drill. My sponsor, Stan, always shared, "I got myself into this mess, I can get myself out"! Wrong, at least if you are alcoholic like me and Stan. We had to have help. To accept and use that help we had to surrender. That is the key. Some folks say acceptance, but that is the start. Surrender is the action, although at face value it seems acceptance is a condition of the mind. Without surrender we won't do the work. We "know" the answer, but until we "apply" the answer, we are educated drunks, wondering why we drink. Duh! Good luck, I hope you see your bottom and don't hit it. God Bless

Last edited by golfreggie; 03-23-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: punctuation