How long till I'm whole again?

Old 03-19-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long till I'm whole again?

I left my addict boyfriend of 4 years. It's been 7 months. I'm attending co dependency meetings, praying, meditating, hitting the gym. I've lost 22 lbs., feel greatand my life seems all good. But when I try to date ...it just doesn't work. I feel my wall is still up. When does it get better. Months, years?
Thank you in advance
Old 03-19-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there is no timetable.....each person is an individual with a history, possible baggage, mindset. it's like a diet or a new workout program....no two people will have the exact same results, because they did not start with the exact same conditions.

if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. there's no rush. no race. don't overlook all the GOOD things you are doing for yourself!!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
there is no timetable.....each person is an individual with a history, possible baggage, mindset. it's like a diet or a new workout program....no two people will have the exact same results, because they did not start with the exact same conditions.

if you aren't ready, you aren't ready. there's no rush. no race. don't overlook all the GOOD things you are doing for yourself!!
Thank you. I will continue to forge forward.♡
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That wall was built from experience. Be grateful for it. It will help you to choose more carefully in the future.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hechosedrugs View Post
That wall was built from experience. Be grateful for it. It will help you to choose more carefully in the future.
Thank you
Old 03-20-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
You won't like this answer, but I'll tell you anyways.

It takes however long it takes.

Speaking from experience, it only took me a couple of months before I felt sane, and once that was there, I was able to really pay attention to the things that fell by the wayside while I was with my AXGF.

It's also true once she was gone, I didn't miss her. At all. That said, I had no interest in dating, or sex, or emotional intimacy for a very, very long time. It wasn't until almost 4 years later that I got together with the woman who I would eventual marry.

And, man, was I scared to be intimate with her. We waited a couple of months before we slept together. But once I let go of that fear, that was when I was truly free.

So be patient. You'll be OK, in time. Or to put it another way: fake it 'til you make it.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
You won't like this answer, but I'll tell you anyways.

It takes however long it takes.

Speaking from experience, it only took me a couple of months before I felt sane, and once that was there, I was able to really pay attention to the things that fell by the wayside while I was with my AXGF.

It's also true once she was gone, I didn't miss her. At all. That said, I had no interest in dating, or sex, or emotional intimacy for a very, very long time. It wasn't until almost 4 years later that I got together with the woman who I would eventual marry.

And, man, was I scared to be intimate with her. We waited a couple of months before we slept together. But once I let go of that fear, that was when I was truly free.

So be patient. You'll be OK, in time. Or to put it another way: fake it 'til you make it.
Awsome! Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 4 years post divorce and I still have a wall. It has served me well. I've focused on myself rather then looking for a partner and worked on my own issues rather then focusing on issues I'd get in a relationship. I am at the point, and have been for about 2 years, that am not bothered if I meet anyone or not. I enjoy being single and I have a happy life. It's not that I've not met anyone but if I sit and think about it I do not know how I could merge them with my life now. Don't worry tho...7 months is not a long time to recover. Just don't force yourself until you are ready.