Notices

Why would you want “a couple”?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why would you want “a couple”?

Lots of relapses on the forum. I’ve been there so not a criticism; it happens. But be sure you don’t fall for the BS of ‘if I could just have a couple of pints’ etc etc. For this Alkie I never wanted it never only drank a couple, if I did then it would have been 8 cans picked up from the shop to smash on my own. Don’t believe the BS of this lie. Others may be happy with a couple but I sure never was and would never be but I’m totally happy with none!!
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never, ever understood anyone who has a desire to have "just one" or "just a couple". I never wanted a couple, my brain never understood, and to this day, never understands, the benefit of drinking "just one, or a couple" Fire for effect was always my motto. If one felt good, two felt better, and 3 for sure was the road to happy destiny! "Normal" people don't think like I did, and it makes no sense to me to just have one. That is a good "alcoholic test", as the Big Book says, try some controlled drinking, ya, right!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
J50

I watched a video about this on YouTube from Craig Beck. He describes moderation as hell on earth. I don't subscribe to his site but here is the video:

https://youtu.be/-YY9JgG1vHw
Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Once I decided to quit, which took a long time, I never had a problem with this idea. I knew damn well there was no way I would ever be able to have a "couple"

Because I have never in my life had 2 beers and thought: I'm good.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank to get wasted period.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep. You have two, and then the buzz starts creep in and then it is off to the races. Races to the bottom.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't even like the taste of booze. For me, alcohol is simply a delivery device to feel better, get out of my mind, forget... One of the best parts of recovery is learning new ways to do the same thing.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I don't even like the taste of booze. For me, alcohol is simply a delivery device to feel better, get out of my mind, forget... One of the best parts of recovery is learning new ways to do the same thing.
Yeah, really hate how I feel on alcohol too. Slurring, red-eyed, tired. The only thing it did/does for me is quiet my brain. But when I start to sober up, the anxiety comes back with a vengeance nevermind the withdrawals!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
I watched a video about this on YouTube from Craig Beck. He describes moderation as hell on earth. I don't subscribe to his site but here is the video:

https://youtu.be/-YY9JgG1vHw

Excellent video. This was the first video I watched from Craig Beck. I found myself watching several more. He's superb! Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Excellent video. This was the first video I watched from Craig Beck. I found myself watching several more. He's superb! Thanks!
I like his videos as they are straight to the point. There's another guy I watch named Kevin OHara from Alcohol Mastery. His videos are longer and a bit more philosophical but I like listening to them when I'm doing cardio.