Notices

Day 40 - sober Sunday with my son

Old 03-18-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 40 - sober Sunday with my son

Nothing fancy. Subway ride to a museum early on a weekend morning with my boy. Coffee for me, muffin for him. Cold in this big city still. Busy work week looms.

Late afternoon run to see my buddy's new apartment. Sober sleep soon.

Not breaking any records, not deserving of a medal - simple sweet day in the life.

Really just a day like the rest of the world, who don't abuse alcohol like me, has all the time.

But maybe, and this is certainly one of the gifts of this sickness, this addiction that can take my life away, maybe those normies don't know just how sweet this clean, sober life is.

If that makes sense.

Hope everyone stays strong and peace comes.

No one is coming to save me.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd still much prefer to be a normie without the sickness than live with the sickness of alcoholism. I think normies are better-adjusted people on the whole. And they don't drink a fifth on a Sunday (or any day), 'just because.'
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff Less
Old 03-18-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Less - sounds like an awesome Sunday for sure. I hope you keep up the good work, for you and for your son. He'll have good memories of hanging with his dad.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great day. Love this post.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I'd still much prefer to be a normie without the sickness than live with the sickness of alcoholism. I think normies are better-adjusted people on the whole. And they don't drink a fifth on a Sunday (or any day), 'just because.'

you get some pretty maladjusted normies too

alcoholics are capable of growth.

There's the active alcoholic and the one in recovery.

It's like comparing caterpillars and butterflies.

As long as I stay away from alcohol, I'm capable of anything

D
Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The beauty of the mundane never ceases to amaze.......
Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey man congrats, day 40 for me too
Old 03-19-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post

But maybe, and this is certainly one of the gifts of this sickness, this addiction that can take my life away, maybe those normies don't know just how sweet this clean, sober life is.
Well done on day 40, that's excellent!

And yes, I totally agree. I read a lot of books on sobriety and in one, the 30 day sobriety solution the author compares it to a pendulum. The idea is that the further you take the pendulum in one direction the further it will swing to the other when you let it go. So the more we have abused alcohol, the more misery we have suffered, the greater the joys of sobriety are when we finally stop. I have definitely found this to be true for me.

Just the joy of going to bed sober and waking up not hungover, sometimes makes me laugh out loud with pleasure. As you say, to feel that you've got to know the dark, other side.

Great post, have a smashing day

Old 03-19-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
DD - sure and I'd rather be 6'8" and supremely gifted with a basketball. Alas, ain't coming for me.

On the other hand, I truly do see that that empathy and the insight into suffering that my addiction has forced into my consciousness has real value. I think, if I can stay sober, the person I am because of my fight and my success and my peering down into the black depths of this horrible sickness, is a richer, more thoughtful, more interesting and more caring person than I would be otherwise.

Or I could be wrong.

Either way, a sober Sunday meant I just gave my son somethings he can take with him of real value and importance. Never ever would have happened had I been drinking.