And So The Story Continues

Old 03-17-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And So The Story Continues

Hi,
Haven't posted in awhile. Things are going with me. I am just so thankful that I divorced my XAH.
We finally sold the family home, but before it sold, my XAH let the pipes freeze, and stopped paying the mortgage. I'm not sure the pipes freezing was intentional. But not paying the mortgage is.
My XAH filed a insurance claim Jan 2nd. He hired a plumber to fix the damage. It was quite extensive 25,000.00. The plumber finished the work the end of February. The insurance company won't talk to me because I'm not on the policy. So was unable to get much information.
Week after week I kept asking our realtor if my XAH had heard anything from the insurance company. She stated my X, had heard nothing, but she felt he might not be calling on a regular basis.
I got a call yesterday from the realtor that the claim was denied.
So my XAH wants to take the money from the closing to pay the 25,000.00.
First of all, it's not clear in my mind if this was done intentionally. Secondly, what plumber would do that big a job without some guarantee from the insurance company, or even a portion of his money paid up front.
I'm just so Fustrated!! If we don't close soon, the house will be foreclosed on! He's missed 6 payments. The house was his responsibility, yet this plumber needs to be paid. I authorized nothing! Yet, all the money I have is going to come from the sale of the house. If the plumber is paid with the proceeds I will only get about 1/3 of what the court ordered my XAH to pay me when the house sold.
Does it ever really end! This man has ruined my credit, I'll never be able to buy another home.
I'll be calling my lawyer on Monday, to see how we'll be proceeding. And this will efffect the nice people trying to buy our home.
Just when your life seems to be somewhat better, and the old memories,and nightmares are beginning to be less, something else happens!!
Thank you all for listening! I am ok!

Zircon
Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I recall reading your post when this was first happening. Perhaps your lawyer can get the info from the insurance company. It sucks all around, and I'm sorry you won't be getting that money. I am however glad that the house can now at least be sold
Old 03-17-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If the plumber is paid with the proceeds I will only get about 1/3 of what the court ordered my XAH to pay me when the house sold.
Who told you that the job cost $25,000?

I would demand to see an invoice with itemized expenses. Did the $25K include drywall/flooring/ceiling repair? Or was it just the pipes?

Can you fight for getting the $25K carved from his proceeds? Or sue the realtor for negligence? (The idea being that she would have to prove that your ex-husband was negligent to save her own behind.) I know that I'm throwing random ideas, but I am so angry on your behalf!!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry, Zircon. Thankfully the house sold. I hope the end of all this means you are completely disconnected from your XAH. I remember his legal problems and thank goodness you are divorced!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Argh Zircon. I would love to think you could take some legal steps to insure that those responsible pay for the damage of the frozen pipes.

I usually hate the TV ads for aggressive lawyers but right now I want one of those on your case.

Big hug to you. (Ugh . . .I wish I had more to say for support)
Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sorry to hear all this, Z. I wish I had some insight to offer...

I suppose the only positive thing is that once it is finally finished, you are free--just not in the financial position you had hoped for/counted on.

And the credit? Well, I was married previously (before the late Mr. Seren), to a man who ruined *our* credit. It takes a couple of years, but you can recover from that!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Z, if your name is on the deed of that home (did you sign a quit claim deed while still on the loan? ) then you have a right to be a named insured. If that is the case, call the insurance company and demand to be added to the policy as a named insured, which gives you access.

Big hugs friend!