Notices

Finally Finished First Step on Day 7

Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Finished First Step on Day 7

Have been struggling to finish my first step in the past several months with my sponsor. She wanted me to come up with 10 instances of the mental obsession, 10 instances of the physical allergy and 10 consequences of drinking. Finally finished writing out this step on Day 7 and will now review it with her. It's amazing when I reviewed the work how I have continued to drink over the past 17 years despite the out of control drinking and crazy consequences. I'm just hoping this time sticks.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i found it quite amazing how seeing my thoughts on paper changed so much in me.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job- and what a good idea and prompting from your sponsor! I love hearing ways sponsors work people through the steps.

My approach to the steps has been to "do it in time as long as I always keep moving forward with them." I did 1-3 on my own, getting my first sponsor on day 97. We did them formally, and she also taught me tons about the BB and about discipline around my recovery work. My second sponsor came around the time for sharing my 4th step- she was more in line with my global and long-term view of recovery and AA. We didn't formally "do" all 12 steps till right around my one year mark (I just passed two years in Feb) but with her I began understanding them and how to LIVE them, well before the official conclusion.

Keep going - it is indeed amazing how writing things out helps and continues to help our reflection on the past and where we are at points in our recovery.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, this sponsor has stuck with me through thick and thin. I would not have taken it personally if she had suggested I move on to someone else and we stay friends because I have been like a yo yo for the past 5 or 6 months of knowing her.

I like how she worked this step with me to show the 3 phases of our drinking: first comes the craving or mental obsession, followed by taking the actual drink which then sets off the physical allergy and uncontrollable drinking, which then leads to all of our insane and crazy consequences for having drank too much and being severely impaired.