Notices

What can I do instead of drinking?

Old 03-17-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What can I do instead of drinking?

I want and need to get sober so badly... for myself and my family. Every day I say I am not going to drink but then do.

What are some things you all like to do instead of drinking? Or tips to distract yourselves? Other drinks you like to sip instead? Things you say to yourself?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started AA and took it a thousand percent seriously. Meetings- almost the 90 in 90 often suggested- and getting a sponsor and working my program took a lot of my time.

I also had a LOT to heal from, given the obscene damage I had done to my body, so I slept a lot (I didn't work for about the first 5 wks of my sobriety) and took it easy catching up on DVR and Netflix, I read tons of memoirs and books on recovery as my concentration returned.

As I healed, going into the summer of 2016 (I am just past 2 yrs now) I started exercising, with half mile runs at a time, up to a 5K by Dec then a 5K each month of 2017 with my then bf/fiance. This year, my now husband and I are doing a different exercise activity together each month- so far we've done roller skating, a 5K (him)/15K (me) and indoor rock climbing. I also started hot yoga about six months ago and do 60-90 min 5-6x a week.

We volunteer quarterly for a charity dear to my heart. i lead a nonAA/nonNA recovery group for the restaurant industry I am a part of and which is RIFE with addiction.

I/WE.......

All of this is predicated on my AA program. I still do 4-5 meetings a week, about 45 min of recovery work (reading the BB, coming on SR) and spiritual work (devotionals etc) every morning.

I can do anything now that I'm sober. First I had to heal and stay busy....now I get to live.

Best to you.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know I probably should do AA but getting myself in there is the hard part. Honestly it scares me.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When we decide to embrace sobriety instead of drinking, the possibilities are limitless.

Drinking is the limitation.

When we’re drinking, that’s it. That’s what we’re doing. Sitting around pouring poison in our bodies and choosing NOT to partake of the glorious drink of LIFE!

When we choose sobriety, our world opens up and there is a literally-endless sea of choices, experiences, places, people, things, service.....

My best advice? Just start making a list of everything and anything and then start doing!!! Action in any sober direction is powerful and fulfilling.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here I’ll give you a start;

Enroll in an art class
Learn guitar
Travel to a foreign land with a volunteer program
Learn a language
Go birdwatching
Learn to skateboard
Join a martial art
Learn to fly
Volunteer at a local service organization
Bake cookies for random neighbors
Build a darkroom and learn photography the old fashioned way
Take blacksmithing lessons
Go running
Take a long walk
Go to your local library and study a new subject
Call a friend for coffee
Go to an AA meeting

Old 03-17-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What can you do instead of drinking? Throw yourself into recovery.

Yes, it's important to stay busy, and it helps to distract ourselves from thoughts of drinking. But crossword puzzles and Netflix aren't going to keep you sober.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A lot of people find AA scary. Plenty have tried calling their local AA hotline and talking to someone, and often having a volunteer who will pick them up or meeting them at their first meeting.

Or, even though I was committed to it, you can always do what I did for a bit, go a little late and/or leave a little early so you don't have to talk to people right away. As I began coming on time and staying till the end, I began to feel safe and welcome.

You can do this. We can all promise you it is better on this side.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What works for me is AA meetings and socializing with sober women, exercise is a must, and quiet time with God in the mornings including reading the Bible and meditating.
Finding a hobby is a great idea as well or volunteering for a cause you’re passionate about.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not drinking will fill your time up sure enough.
Fill it with healthy things like good diet.
Walking
Mindfulness
Relaxation techniques
AV training
Like nonsensical said you can do anything you want to do or you can drink.

Keep putting the mins,hours,days in
The rest will follow

Take care
Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Elle,

Have you been able to work a bit on diet/activity? This sometimes gives us a sense of empowerment and will pay dividends in how we feel over time. Even just some short walks, extra water, and a healthy meal here and there will go a long way to making us feel better. To be honest, the biggest boost I had was when I made the decision to stop drinking, no matter what. (I don't know your situation with boozing but if you get DT's/etc and have severe withdrawal symptoms, see a doc. )

Distractions are important right now. Don't worry too much about whether or not any activity is particularly productive as long as it keeps your interest and helps you get through the long hours. I think that's what we need. I picked up video games for a while after I stopped. They weren't helping me be very productive but they did get me through the last few hours of the day, where I would usually be drinking. Focus on you and what it takes for YOU to be/stay off the booze. After a month or two I felt more prepared to start taking on bigger challenges even if my body was still adjusting. (Sleep schedules/moodiness/etc.)

We sometimes need to tread water before we shoot out into the ocean. It is a process. Just know that every day you can make it through without picking up a drink is a success. Things can start slowly but you will pick up speed. You've reached out here and want to stop. That's a great thing. It's hard but very much worth the effort.

All the best.

P

edit: concrete list

-drinking water/carbonated water (I wanted the fizz), sometimes mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar
-Multivitamin
-Prepare a meal list, with focus on veggies (lots of colors, lots of greens), fruits, fresh and whole foods
-Walks, however short or long
-Keep up your personal appearance/hygiene. A shower and some clean clothes can work wonders on how we feel.
-Maintain a clean living environment (it made a world of difference to come home to a clean apartment vs. a trainwreck of a place)
-Reading books, no matter what the subject. (I'm learning about bears right now.)
-Research/do ANYTHING you have ever been interested in.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really love food. So I have spent my last 7 days exercising so I can enjoy one or two nice meals each day. I read a lot on here, and I am working with a sponsor on the steps even though I need to get to more meetings. My problem in meetings is not so much that I am scared, but I get easily restless and bored often for the full hour.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Elle. Early day time moved so slowly for me. I agree with Cellardweller in that distractions are important right now in the very early days. " Don't worry too much about whether or not any activity is particularly productive as long as it keeps your interest and helps you get through the long hours. I think that's what we need" Exercise or walks are always good. I have a Fitbit and concentrate on getting my 10,000 steps. When the cravings hit, I would get up and step around my house, driveway, etc. As you begin to feel better, you'll feel more like branching out into other things.

I guzzle splarkling water or seltzer. I was a beer drinker, so the fizzys really help me. Hang in there.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These are exact suggestions I need. Thank you.

The self care suggestions I think are what may work best. Cooking, vitamins, fitness, cleaning etc.

I'm going to focus on these things today.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll just add that I have found so much to do in sobriety and often run out of time in the day! It came with time.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What are some things you all like to do instead of drinking?
Create things
Play with puppies and kittens

Or tips to distract yourselves?
Write down the 5 worst things that will happen if I don't drink

Other drinks you like to sip instead?
Green Tea
Diet Ginger Ale

Things you say to yourself?
(at the mirror) I was sober yesterday and I feel great today. I did that for you.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gym!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Vit b1 was essential for me
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

First you need to focus on recovery. You cannot distract youself but, rather find out what triggers you to drink and then learn how to deal with the cause of you wanting to drink. Staying active helps you get thru the urges.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The crucial part is to change any habits which you tie in with drinking, for me it was gaming, watching football etc. Running, mindfulness and focusing on just getting through each 24 hrs and looking no further, helped me.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I work a physical job, and find that long days early in sobriety (first couple weeks) are tough on the Central Nervous System. I get a little manic my first week or so, and want to do everything at once. I wanted to be tired for my first few days, and worked out hard, thinking I had to make huge changes, but my body craved more and the withdrawals were tough. I drank because of my DT's. These were 1 to 2 day events.

I took a week, logged it in my plan book (I had already logged it, but didn't read it) to not over work myself mentally and physically for the first month. I started back at walking, then one set of pushups, then pushups combined with pullups, and added 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile jogs, then light squats. I found slowly working up to some sort of exercise is critical for me to stay dry. I'm a bit more tired at the end of the day (good), but have more energy through the day if I move my body.

Laying in bed and resting I still do when I feel tired, but find being in bed too much can be depressing because it's the same pattern that permeated my drinking hangovers.

I like to go back to things I liked when i was younger, and do those activities at a chill level. Also whimsies... those things you've always wanted to try that aren't too stressful on the mind and body. Give 'em a shot and see what you like.

I don't like cleaning, but it seems I do it to just do something. Then I feel cleaner, better, and maybe in a small way proud because my kitchen isn't trashed when I go make breakfast.. A little cardio, hobby things, and electrolytes are huge for me. My body doesn't absorb water well early, so electrolyte tabs, pedialyte, or even gatorade cut in half hydrate me better than strict water. I drink a combo.