Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 35 and the cravings have intensified. I'm confused because not had cravings since quitting?

Notices

Day 35 and the cravings have intensified. I'm confused because not had cravings since quitting?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is day 35. I'm starting to feel some significant cravings that are getting tricky to deal with. The funny thing is I've been ok quitting for the month and haven't felt like alcohol so why now?

Yesterday was bad. I kept thinking "I'll go get a small bottle of vodka". I started justifying it by telling myself it was just one small bottle and it wouldn't hurt if I controlled it.

I realised what was happening and was strong enough to ignore it. But it happened today too. I was very close to getting a drink today. I got some new music gear today and in the past I'd have a few beers and play about with it for the day. That was my ritual when I got some new music gear.

Happiness seems to make me want to drink. I don't know why. It's as if I want alcohol so that I can increase my state of happiness to a higher level of happiness ... if that makes sense.

I won't drink. I'm safe. I am strong enough to resist. But did anyone else have these problems?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
Today is day 35. I'm starting to feel some significant cravings that are getting tricky to deal with. The funny thing is I've been ok quitting for the month and haven't felt like alcohol so why now?

Yesterday was bad. I kept thinking "I'll go get a small bottle of vodka". I started justifying it by telling myself it was just one small bottle and it wouldn't hurt if I controlled it.

I realised what was happening and was strong enough to ignore it. But it happened today too. I was very close to getting a drink today. I got some new music gear today and in the past I'd have a few beers and play about with it for the day. That was my ritual when I got some new music gear.

Happiness seems to make me want to drink. I don't know why. It's as if I want alcohol so that I can increase my state of happiness to a higher level of happiness ... if that makes sense.

I won't drink. I'm safe. I am strong enough to resist. But did anyone else have these problems?
I am exactly where you are. I made it through a booze filled trip to New Orleans sober, came back to life and boom - day 37 today - and yesterday I was thinking, almost against my own will, about copping a bottle of cheap vodka to drink on my way home from work.

Even thought about it this morning.

The urges subsided at this point - not even feeling them now.

But man I did see them come and it was hard to disassociate/objectify.

Everyone says it gets better. I know I'm kind of bored of thinking about drinking.

Stay strong 16, no one is coming to save us.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I am exactly where you are. I made it through a booze filled trip to New Orleans sober, came back to life and boom - day 37 today - and yesterday I was thinking, almost against my own will, about copping a bottle of cheap vodka to drink on my way home from work.

Even thought about it this morning.

The urges subsided at this point - not even feeling them now.

But man I did see them come and it was hard to disassociate/objectify.

Everyone says it gets better. I know I'm kind of bored of thinking about drinking.

Stay strong 16, no one is coming to save us.
I am so glad I am not alone! I'm glad you stayed strong and decided not to drink. This is a tough battle, but I'm determined to win.

Stay strong
Old 03-15-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I feel your pain
78 days sober
Still think I'd really love a drink
But I won't because one is not enough and 100 is to many
Good luck

Stay sober
Caralara
Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as we experience early recovery, our bodies can go thru cycles of healing....it's not always a perfectly straight trajectory. cravings/urges can come up at any time, but often can arise at milestones - 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, a year and so on. that's the time to double down on recovery actions......be that meetings or whatever is in your recovery plan. there just aren't any quick fixes with this stuff......some days will be better than others, but no day is bad enough to drink over.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the cravings may be significant now because you are winning this battle, but the disease isn't quite ready to give up quietly. You're doing great and congratulations on 35 days of sobriety.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ugh, I’m having them too. Day 16. I feel it physically in my throat and inner part of my chest.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been drinking a lot of soda which is totally bad idea because that only ends up giving me some serious heartburn. Note to self: drink water instead.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
I've been drinking a lot of soda which is totally bad idea because that only ends up giving me some serious heartburn. Note to self: drink water instead.
On this note, I've become a seltzer fiend. Have a Sodastream at the apartment that I use all the freak in time.

Fills some kind of void.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm a sparkling water or seltzer fiend.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=16YearsDrunk;6824043]It's as if I want alcohol so that I can increase my state of happiness to a higher level of happiness ... if that makes sense.

/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense to me. You are describing the obsession of the mind that goes back to when alcohol was actually working for you. It is the illusion that we can return to that sense of ease and comfort, just one more time. It is very subtle. I could not resist it for as long as you have. It watered down my resolve much quicker, and I found myself drinking. It is a pattern that goes with untreated alcoholism.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

This works in relation to recovery too:

It would be great of recovery was a straight line - but it's rarely like that, especially in early recovery.

Don;t get disheartened by that...cravings returning is simply a reminder that we still have the problem, and that this is a long term effort - it's a marathon and not a sprint.

I promise you tho - the way gets easier ahead and the craving lose their urgency...eventually you wont be troubled by the effort or the cravings

D