Notices

Newcomer from Scotland (Day 4)

Old 03-14-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer from Scotland (Day 4)

Hi There

I just recently found this forum when looking for information on discussing my addiction and it looks like somewhere I would like to post.

I have tried quitting alcohol before but at my relatively young age (27) currently I found it too hard in the past due to the social culture that I was in.

Now I feel this is the time that I really do want to stop. The trigger was that I had just started a new job a couple of weeks ago and just didn't go in one day. I had a bit of a hangover and this led to me going straight to the pub. Which led to a 5 day session and me losing said job. Not normal behaviour at all.

I feel I owe it to myself and my family this time as I know they have become increasingly more worried about me over the past couple of years whilst I have drink myself from disaster to disaster.

So yeah thanks for letting me join.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, Kevin.

I wish I could go back to 27 & question my drinking habits. It would have saved me so much grief & misery. I kept going, trying to control it, and almost lost my life. When I came to SR I felt relieved to be able to discuss my feelings with people who had been through the same things. I'm glad you recognize the warning signs of alcoholic drinking. Everyone here understands & will be glad to help.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Kevin! You're smart to get sober at a young age. You'll have far fewer regrets when you get to be my age.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies!

And here's hoping. It was one embarrassing situation too many this time. Losing jobs, relationships etc.

I have a place on a Masters degree starting September and if I go into it with a drinkers mindset I will fail. Simple as that.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is great you are dealing with this at your age. I wish I hadn't wasted so many years putting my problem off and watching it get worse.

I hope you keep posting.