Notices

Fear got me here, what will keep me here?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear got me here, what will keep me here?

Quite honestly I was terrified of dying and also of being a bad mother to my daughter. I was on and off for a while but the anxiety and everything that goes with it got to be too much and here I am, not drinking one day at a time.

But I can't live in fear. What will keep me here? I go to AA and I have no issue with the higher power. I wasn't raised with a lot of faith (just a lot of tradition but with a very scientific view of G-d). But I admired people with faith.

So, I pray every day and I walk and walk and walk. How can I get this fear to go away?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The solution to fear is faith but faith without works is dead. Work the steps of AA and your whole outlook will change. Those promises in the book will all come true, like the one about the most satisfying years of your existence lay ahead. Trust God, clean house and help others (helping others is the work that keeps faith alive). Meetings alone won't do it.

I agree that fear might start us on the path, but it is not enough for full recovery. You will see a fair amount of fear based sobriety around AA among those you just attend meetings and do nothing else. It is up to them, if they find a second rate recovery acceptable. But I'm here to tell you there is a hole nuther world out there in the fellwoship of the spirit.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fear never lasts.

Commitment does - it takes a lot of resolve to start with to recommit to recovery every day but it will become second nature in time.

D
Old 03-10-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Work those steps and keep soughtin!

Best,
Fly
Old 03-10-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cultivate an attitude of gratitude. It will do wonders for your sobriety.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 03-10-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about the joy of being the best mom you can be and the peace that comes from knowing you're not killing yourself with booze? Wouldn't going back to drinking bring back the fear?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep going to AA and staying sober!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all and thank you for the link, Least. It was very interesting. I think working on my first step will help. Drinking now would only increase the fear. Not what I want to do. Gratitude and helping others is key and that's what I plan to focus on.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Fear is what got me to drop my glass and never want to pick it up again. I was terrified I wouldn't make it out for the first several months. As if I alone was holding back a hurricane from destroying not only me but my daughter and husband as well. I'm thankful I had that fear now. It seemed it overlapped with my being able to accept that my drinking days were over. Once I accepted that alcohol was no longer a thing I could relax a bit.