Notices

Hi Everyone, new here

Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone, new here

Hi all,
I'm new here, mid 30s from the UK.
I've tried a few times to get sober (albeit not hard enough). I'd love to know what exactly it was for most of you that was the straw that broke the camels back? When was that moment where you said to yourself "ok this has to stop" and meant it?
I just looked over at the pile of discarded bottles of wine in the corner of my room, there's at least 12 bottles there, which would have taken me on average about 2 weeks to drink (usually it's 3 every, twice a week). But at the cost of about £100 and the fact I've been drinking like this for over a year and don't currently have a job, I'm amazed at how I've sustained this and I am so desperate to stop.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

For me it was making a complete idiot of myself at a family do. Not to say I had not done that before, I just didn't learn my lesson. This last time I learned it well. That was 7 months ago and money saved to date is £1230.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for replying decchemist. Gosh you've saved a heap!!
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are in your mid thirtys, please listen to me, you are so young, stop this crap now! western society glamorizes alcohol so much and like sheeple we go along with it baa baa , reclaim your life now, be you! there will never be another you! It will get so much worse! LIVE! best wishes. x
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ran away from home with my kids, stayed in hotels for two weeks with 2 or 3 months worth of mortgage payments I had in cash, I got about halfway to nowhere, I drank myself into stupid oblivion while my oldest took care of the younger 2, until I couldn't function anymore and had to call my ex to drive urgently the 4 hours to come help me because I was in deep trouble.
I hate thinking about it. All the ranting and screaming after the kids were asleep about letting them lock me up, somebody shoot me, etc outside or in the lobby. .. at some point there's a lot I don't remember.

I mostly sobered up in that hotel room going through really bad withdrawals.
This was like, my 4th? Detox. I still relapsed 4 or 5 times after that, after having done inpatient detox, outpatient treatment, inpatient treatment all in between, I am coming off my latest and hopefully last relapse after the intense 6 week inpatient I did.

But yeah that was the major grenade I threw on my life that was like, yep, do, die, or go to jail.
I wish it could have stopped at the dozens upon dozens of beer and cooler cans, all sizes of vodka bottles, wine bottles, just hidden every where all over the house and farm. But no. Us alcoholics are fairly persistent when it comes to a lot of things that do not serve us well in the end. Just temporary, bad, bandaids.

But that's all in the past now. All I've got is today.
We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.. from AA.
It's good to remember what brought me here. So thanks for the post. It took me a very long time to shake the horror and shame of what I had done.
Eventually I forgave myself and started picking up the pieces of my life.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome neverndingrose

I nearly died from my drinking, but I don't think the decision needs to be dramatic - it can be a simple decision to not live this way another second.

If you make the decision and then follow that up with action, thats the way most of us quit

D