Notices

Always wonder if I will make it another day sober

Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always wonder if I will make it another day sober

Every day I wonder if I will make it through without drinking. It is easier during the day (but I am mad wondering takes up so much of my time) but as the day goes on I wonder if I will make it through until tomorrow without drinking. Is this normal?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, it's certainly normal for me.
I've been sober over nine years and still wonder if I'll drink today.
That's why I take it one day at a time.
Today was a rough day, too. Best friend came over drunk and bought a beer to drink at my place. I didn't even want anything to do with the empty so I took the trash out.

I felt sorry for him more than I wanted to drink because he was. It was sad to me.
So, yes, for me it is normal to wonder if I'll make it through another day sober.
But if I keep my priorities in order and 'think' sober. I may not drink today.
Just today, mind you, I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Best to you and if you don't take that firs drink, you've accomplished something.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After you are more comfortable in your sobriety, you won't have to pay so much attention to it. It will become your new normal to not drink and you won't have to think about it.

I've got over 8 yrs and rarely think about drinking.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me, I'm a 8 mos sober 4 years clean from all illegals, I asked God to remove the obsessive obsession to drink an drug, c after he did this , I got a kinda different outlook on going back out the door. It ain't gonna happen , been n and the doors since 77, 4 years ago Christmas jus past, this disease of addiction and alcohol killed me dead. I'm on a rollator for a walker, took me 4 years to walk out of that nursing home I went n on a gurney too, this disease took my wife of 25 years, I went thru her 6 year anniversary of accidental overdose n the middle of my first 5th step ever n my life, i actually was able to have a tear r 2, sober and clean...i have 2 sponsors, aa is how I stay n conscious contact with god....

Last edited by JesseJ59; 03-10-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Miss spells a bunch of words
Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It seems to be normal for a recovering alcoholic as thinking about not drinking is much the same as thinking about drinking.

As a recovered alcoholic I don't think about drinking. I worked 12 steps and my whole outlook changed. I found the Power to stay sober and I live life on spiritual terms. As time has gone on my faith has grown. It never occurs to me that I might drink today or tomorrow. It is just not part of my consciousness anymore.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

After the first few weeks, I didn't so much wonder if I'd get through the day -- I knew I could get through the day because I'd done it before.

But I spent a whole heck of a lot of time in my first couple of years thinking about not-drinking. Wondering why I drank, reliving the badness of when I drank, going over my drinking history, reminding myself not to drink.

It wasn't a good mental scene. It was its own little obsession revolving all around alcohol. I advise you to work daily on developing a more positive focus for your thoughts.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We always have the control over what will happen. Do the right thing, or fail and give the demon what it wants. The choice is always ours!