Notices

Is it me, or are Fridays the WORST?!

Old 03-09-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it me, or are Fridays the WORST?!

So many threads about people craving, and feeling weak. Indeed, I am right there. I am in the midst of a nice string of sobriety, but Friday’s are hard. Right around this time in Friday’s I would normally be at a bar with colleagues, downing scotches like they were water. Then off to a big dinner with my wife and yet more drinks and then wine.

Then Saturday morning. I’d Wake up at 1 am in a panic. Heart pounding. Mind racing with anxiety. Sleeping on and off until about 7 am waking several times with adrenaline pumping through my body.

I’d feel like hell. So no later than 11 am I would be at a local restaurant bar for “brunch.” It would invariably consist of scotch to “take the edge off.” And then I would be off for at least several days of heavy drinking.

On second thought. My Friday’s these days are much better. Yep, right now I am at a Starbucks reading my sponsor’s assignment from the Big Book. I’ll wake up fresh tomorrow. Go to a meeting. And really enjoy my weekend, despite my stepdaughter and mother-in-Law!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend buddy.
I to am looking forward to a weekend where I am truly alive and living the moment.

I for one will not be playing that old record, cos I've pretty much worn it out over the years.

Time for something new😉
Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
So many threads about people craving, and feeling weak. Indeed, I am right there. I am in the midst of a nice string of sobriety, but Friday’s are hard. Right around this time in Friday’s I would normally be at a bar with colleagues, downing scotches like they were water. Then off to a big dinner with my wife and yet more drinks and then wine.

Then Saturday morning. I’d Wake up at 1 am in a panic. Heart pounding. Mind racing with anxiety. Sleeping on and off until about 7 am waking several times with adrenaline pumping through my body.

I’d feel like hell. So no later than 11 am I would be at a local restaurant bar for “brunch.” It would invariably consist of scotch to “take the edge off.” And then I would be off for at least several days of heavy drinking.

On second thought. My Friday’s these days are much better. Yep, right now I am at a Starbucks reading my sponsor’s assignment from the Big Book. I’ll wake up fresh tomorrow. Go to a meeting. And really enjoy my weekend, despite my stepdaughter and mother-in-Law!
To me those nights we used to have, yours sound very similar to mine, that would turn into days of drinking, getting sick, drinking - in reality they were horrible. That pang and urge you have is false and will pass. As you know. Sober life is so much better.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
J50

Friday's were definitely the end of the week blow off steam day for me. Funny thing is that I haven't had the need to blow off as much steam since I quit in November. There are still bad days at work but I can let go of them easier now. It's nice to wake up refreshed on Saturday instead of hungover.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are making a much better day out of your Friday Horn! Starbucks sound like a great place to be. I personally drank ever single night so Friday was no different. I suppose I may have drank more knowing I didn't have to wake up and go go work on Saturdays, but I'm very glad I don't have to deal with that anymore either.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post

That right there. In early sobriety, Fridays were difficult, but not the worst. Your Saturday morning sounds much more painful than a boring Friday night (and I'm saying this from the same experience). My Fridays used to equate to obscene drinking, and dreadful hangovers.

I find that planning something for Saturday morning, something that makes you look forward to getting up in the morning, is the key. Then you don't really mind taking it easy of Friday, and relaxing.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post
That right there. In early sobriety, Fridays were difficult, but not the worst. Your Saturday morning sounds much more painful than a boring Friday night (and I'm saying this from the same experience). My Fridays used to equate to obscene drinking, and dreadful hangovers.

I find that planning something for Saturday morning, something that makes you look forward to getting up in the morning, is the key. Then you don't really mind taking it easy of Friday, and relaxing.
Ditto. I really like your Saturday morning advice. I need to do this more often.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Yes it's you. Friday is just another wonderful, miraculous day sober, full of promise.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

With you on all counts except for me it's the entire weekend. I start planning no later than Thursday, because I start to get anxious about being bored, and being bored = thoughts of drinking. I also recall those Saturdays and Sundays of just trying to get to the next drink. Taking a few moments to meditate or read SR and be reminded how horribly uncomfortable the old weekends were helps get me through. Sounds like you are on th right path - Best to you!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

I like Fridays. Thank God for Fridays as they say!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love my Friday night's! That is the night I do laundry, fun, huh? Lol
But I also paint after I put my little to bed. That's my meditation time, getting lost and creating art. I've been doing this since about 30 days and my perspective of the weekend is focused on fun things to do with my son. Ive been pretty blessed with no cravings this time around, and switched my focus to self care over the weekend.
It'll get better with time, hang in there you're doing great!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love my sober Friday nights as well...my body and mind get what they need after a busy week; relaxation and rest...not the additional stress that alcohol would cause. I was up and out by 9.30am this morning to beat the crowds in the shops to get a mother's day card and gift, and the same for my sister's birthday next week. I grabbed a 'Prince of Green' juice at the juice bar (cucumber, lemon and pineapple) before heading home. It all sounds so simple but would have been a total right-off if I'd have had 2 bottles of wine last night.

Enjoy your sober weekend peeps...I know I will 💜
Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hopefor2018

This was my first Friday night not drinking. It took all my resolve not to drink. I wanted to give up, admit I'm too weak for this task, which appears daunting and never ending. Even though I didn't drink, it took so much out of me mentally, I feel like I did drink... it was that close.

On Friday nights, my boyfriend and I have been going to UNOs for snacks. I always get a beer. (He thinks it's my first; I've already done a pre-drink of 2 or 3 beers). Last night I ordered water, saying I was on a diet. I just don't want to tell him that I have a problem. I want to beat the problem first and then maybe tell him in six months. Ironically, he was a heavy drinker until 11 years ago when he got sober. I didn't know him then. We've been dating less than a year.

I think he would understand my issue, but I'm not ready to let him know.

Last night was really, really hard but I made it through.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was worried Fridays would be the hardest day.

They were at first, now instead of feeling like I need a drink as a reward for working so hard. Now I finish household chores and reward myself with an early bed.

Friday's are hard when you work during the week, eventually it is just psychological habit.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling great. Enjoying some coffee right now. My wife and I went out to dinner last night with my daughter and stepdaughter. Wifey had a couple glasses af wine. I drank lemonade, and tonic water with lime. No urge at all to drink. In fact, the thought kind of grossed me out.

I have some work to do today and get ready for next week. My younger daughter has a play this evening, so I am pretty full up schedule wise. It will be nice to have an effective, relaxing, restful weekend.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is certainly the old "pull" Fridays held for me, in fact I was fighting it yesterday as the weather where I live had that hint of spring in the air, a lawn chair and desire to hold a vodka tonic in my hand as the sun set. But I fought it, thankfully got through the tug of wanting to drink. Waking up Saturday morning, there are plenty of chores to do with a sober clear head. When I was drinking regularly I let my place go. Now I have the energy to keep up with things and that feels sooo good. Lots of benefits to not drinking.