Notices

i can't stop

Old 03-08-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i can't stop

hey guys,

after my 3 months sober i have fallen back into weekly drinking. another night out, of course i can't stop at 1 pint, i have to have 5 and get a solid buzz going. i'm 25 and a serious alcoholic in the making. this is really impacting my life. i don't wanna live this way anymore.

i'm an all or nothing guy and i want to be sober.
does that mean i can't leave the house anymore? i hate being at home doing nothing except browsing the web.

i need help guys. please. to people on the outside it may not seem serious but it's destroying my soul. every time i drink i feel incredible shame now.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ready,
I was exactly the same as you.
You have to leave the house or you become isolated triggering you to drink.
Walks are helpful to mindfulness.
Don’t do something you hate.
There are trillions of non drink related things to do.
A healthy routine of new things put in place of old bad habits is the way.
If you are struggling to do this. Just do 1 thing new per day.

Us alcoholics cannot have even one beer.
The booze is way bigger than us.

You have to live a sober life.
Be kind to yourself (that bit is really important)
Take care
Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It means you have to change your life I think.

I didn't stop leaving the house, but I did have to stop hanging around people who drank like me, going out to pubs, or goign round to my mates places to drink.

It was hard at the time but I'm eternally grateful I did that now

D
Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well, if you can't control the amount when you start, and you cany quit altogether even when you really want to then you are probably an alcoholic. When alcoholism is as serious as it was in me, there is no middle of the road solution. It may be that a spritual experience is the only means by which someone like me can recover.

Whether or not you can recover on a non spiritual basis will depend on the extent to which you have already lost the power to choose. Alcoholism does not discriminate by age. I was an end stage alcoholic by the time I was 22, which is the age at which I recovered.

Mate, you are worried about having to hide away, and having a boring life. Let me assure you that nothing could be further from the truth in my experience, on the path I followed. My life has been incredibly wonderful. Every aspect, social, romantic, career, has been way better than I even knew was possible. I had to do a bit of work, especially in the first stages of recovery. I was quite messed up mentally and physically. I was thrown our of school for something I did when drunk, so I had no qualifications. Starting from a low base I had some great jobs and ended up in senior management roles in national companies, before going into my own business. Got married, had two wonderful kids, sadly lost my wife about ten years ago, just remarried last month, am semi retired and live on my yacht doind what I always dreamed of.

How did I get there? I started with step one.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You made it to three months once! Those are the toughest months IMO. You can do it again! You just need a plan and to do things a little differently. Don't give up!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by readyt0change View Post
does that mean i can't leave the house anymore?
Yes. If you leave the house again we will have you immediately arrested for public soberness.

I'm glad you're serious about being sober, but get a grip. The choices are not get drunk or sit at home doing nothing.

The choices are get drunk or do anything else you want.

Go take a skydiving course. Go feed puppies at the animal shelter. Learn how to make a creme broulee. The world is yours. Go get it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

You CAN stop - you did it for 3 months previously, so think about what was great about thise 3 months and maybe what didn't work. Assuming one of the things that didn't work was isolating, as others have said, perhaps make a list of places to go besides the pubs? Any sobriety fellowship will welcome you, and any that are service based will have plenty of ideas to fill your time.
Pledge a sober weekend you will be so glad you did!