Notices

I need to stop drinking!

Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop drinking!

Hi all, I’m new here and feel terrified today. I’ve realised I have a problem with alcohol for a while now. Every night off I have I drink a couple of beers and then a bottle of wine and wake up feeling crap.
Yesterday I decided I’m not drinking anymore but then found myself buying a couple of bottles of wine in the evening. My husband drinks too but I feel he’s losing respect for me. I have two young children and I don’t want them to grow up thinking it’s normal. Today I woke up feeling so depressed. I’ve cried a lot today. I know the alcohol causes me to feel like this!! I feel I’m damaging my physical health too. I’m working night shift for the next 4 nights so I won’t drink then, I need to not drink at all anymore though. Please can someone give me motivation and encouragement. I feel like such a pathetic and useless person at the moment
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go for coming here, posting, and looking for ways to help yourself🤗 My advice is keep up the self-reflection and be kind to yourself.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maud

You remind me a lot of myself when I got here
Support really helps - especially with people who understand.

SR helped me turn my life around - nearly 11 years on, its one of the best things I ever did

D
Old 03-08-2018, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Maud, Welcome to SR!
We are a very supportive community here. I've come back many times beaten down too. But it's never too late and you can do this- and you are not alone and do not have to do it alone.

There is so much good reading around the site. When I first registered here, I had spent a good month and a half probably reading all the stickies at the top of the forums, reading posts, the best of SR, posts about recovery plans.
We can do this- we includes you.
Tomorrow is a new day- glad you found SR
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh god I can’t stop crying, I can’t believe how quickly people have responded to my post and already giving me encouragement. Thank you so much!!!! I really hope I can do this
Old 03-08-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome maud, hope is a superpower.
So is positivity.
You can do this.
I was emotional, terrified dissplaced when I first quit. It’s normal.
Thes feelings get replaced with contentment, self respect, stability etc,etc.

SR has some really good people,advice,and support.
You’re in safe hands.

Be kind to yourself, you are doing the right thing.

take care
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just had a conversation with my husband, I thought he’d try to convince me that I didn’t have a problem ( like he’s done in the past) but he agreed that we both drink too much. He has promised to cut down. I think saying out loud to someone “ I have a problem”!is good. It makes you take accountability. I told him that I can’t be the best mum if I feel hungover and crappy when I have a day off to spend with the kids. I am a good mum but sonetimes i think we will go to the beach tomorrow or wildlife park etc but then feel too crappy to be bothered and the best I can manage is the local park. Th se are the year s I need to be making beautiful memories with them .... and that’s my motivation 😊
Old 03-09-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on acknowledging there is a problem, now you need to work on a solution so that you don' t fall short on keeping your promises and end up beating yourself up again
Here are some of the programs people here are using:
AA ( meetings either online or face to face)
Smart Recovery
AVRT(addictive voice recognition technique)/Rational recovery
These three are the main ones I noticed members of this forum are using.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Maud. I'm very glad you are here and wish you all the best on your sober journey. I'm glad you had a talk with your husband about it; I grew up in an alcoholic family and it caused me lots of confusion and pain growing up--your little ones never need know these feelings. I hope you have an excellent, sober day.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Last night I watched an old movie called "Days of Wine and Roses" and I was extremely affected by the alcoholic couple. Have you ever seen it?It really is an eye opener.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Last night I watched an old movie called "Days of Wine and Roses" and I was extremely affected by the alcoholic couple. Have you ever seen it?It really is an eye opener.
No I haven’t but I’ll look it up
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I came here a month ago thinking I couldn't do it. The people here are so supportive. Some will give you the kick up the backside you need ... it's nothing personal. I'm a month dry thanks to this forum and the great people on here.

You got this.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us and that you have recognized that you need to stop drinking. Have faith that you can do this and that you can be the person and the mother that you want to be.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maud,
The best thing is that time's on your side!! Don't be like me and wait too long to get sober, if for no other reason, than for your kids. I'm 5 weeks sober after getting caught yet again and having both of my grown kids (and wife) ripping me to get my life together. Since I am new to sobriety, I don't have any sage advice, other than to say if you want this (and it won't work unless you do), you can do it!!! I'm pulling for you!!!