Notices

4 weeks done!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 weeks done!

I did it. I reached the 4 week mark! I am very proud of myself for getting this far. Since I decided to quit drinking my whole life has flipped around for the better.

I changed my diet. I now only eat good foods. I prepare them from scratch Don't really eat junk, chocolate, cakes or anything like that. I've been exercising so much. On average I walk around 5 miles a day - sometimes more. My weight lifting is a lot more focused, and intense, since I quit. I can actually feel and see improvement. I'm working on losing weight from 16 stone to about 14.5. So far so good I'm losing around 2lbs a week.

So yeah, only positive things to report

My only complaint is it's difficult to deal with emotions. I am angry a lot. And my anxiety increases at times but for the most part the anxiety has improved so much. I have appointment with doctor tomorrow because I still have very slight edema on my inner ankles, but nothing major. Hoping it's just nothing.

I have to thank you guys for helping give me the strength, and support. Sorry I havn't been around much life is so hectic at the moment (in a good way).
Old 03-08-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! That's a great milestone. I am working towards it myself and look forward to posting it too!.
Stay with it
Old 03-08-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Congrats! That's a great milestone. I am working towards it myself and look forward to posting it too!.
Stay with it
You got this. Congrats on your decision to quit alcohol too

How far are you in?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Keep going!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
You got this. Congrats on your decision to quit alcohol too

How far are you in?
Day 8 today. Getting a little better each day.
I've had a year 14 years ago and some stretches since then but always get complacent and go back. I need to remain vigilant and not let my guard down. I cannot moderate and it always ramps back up.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful! Congrats. I'm around the same sober date - 30 days today.

Great work. Stay strong and keep posting.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
I did it. I reached the 4 week mark! I am very proud of myself for getting this far. Since I decided to quit drinking my whole life has flipped around for the better.

I changed my diet. I now only eat good foods. I prepare them from scratch Don't really eat junk, chocolate, cakes or anything like that. I've been exercising so much. On average I walk around 5 miles a day - sometimes more. My weight lifting is a lot more focused, and intense, since I quit. I can actually feel and see improvement. I'm working on losing weight from 16 stone to about 14.5. So far so good I'm losing around 2lbs a week.

So yeah, only positive things to report

My only complaint is it's difficult to deal with emotions. I am angry a lot. And my anxiety increases at times but for the most part the anxiety has improved so much. I have appointment with doctor tomorrow because I still have very slight edema on my inner ankles, but nothing major. Hoping it's just nothing.

I have to thank you guys for helping give me the strength, and support. Sorry I havn't been around much life is so hectic at the moment (in a good way).
Good for you! You have made much progress. If your edema is concerning you, it's good you're seeing your doctor. I'm thinking all that walking could be causing the slight fluid retention in your ankles, but Dr. will let you know for sure. My ankles occasionally swell if I've done a lot of walking.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Learning to deal with emotions is a skill like anything else 16...you'll get it, in time. Congrats on 4 weeks

D
Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Good for you! You have made much progress. If your edema is concerning you, it's good you're seeing your doctor. I'm thinking all that walking could be causing the slight fluid retention in your ankles, but Dr. will let you know for sure. My ankles occasionally swell if I've done a lot of walking.
Went to the doctors ... and wasn't seen! I'm quite angry. Apparently one of the doctors hadn't came in today so appointments were running late. I was told I could be waiting around for up to 2 hours. I decided to rebook it so now I have to wait until 20th.

It does worry me. I have chronic health anxiety, but the edema is real so it's not just anxiety. The problem is I make mountains out of mole hills. My head keeps telling me I have heart disease and my life is coming to an end.

Today is the first time in the 4 weeks that I've felt like drinking because I am so upset with this mental torture. It's the anxiety that's eating away at me. I can't cope. I can't even function properly.

I'll sit there all day every day pressing my ankles. 5 times an hour sometimes. It's now an OCD and is torturing me.

I haven't worked in over a week. I handed back 3 client jobs and lost out on £4000. I haven't even replied or contacted clients that have came to me.

... all because of a small bit of edema on my ankles.

I'm not a full stamp.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on a month! Dealing with emotions is certainly a learning process and new skill like Dee said. I am amazed at how my program (AA) has helped with this...and where I am now in 2yrs of sobriety. Still takes practice and "taking the pause" before RE-acting!

Keep on going!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

I was making myself crazy with perceived health problems while I was drinking. I'm much older than you, so I perceived that my symptoms were the 'beginning of the end'. My ankles were also swollen and I worried about ascites. I thought about my bathroom habits, thinking my kidneys were shutting down. Of course, if I stopped to think about it, there were logical reasons for my issues. I sat at the computer most of the day with my knees bent. The weather was hot. I was eating salty food and lots of carbs. My bloated abdomen was likely the result of an almost 35 lb weight gain. You did great seeing your doctor, but my doctor is in NY and I'm in Florida. I could have gone to Urgi-care, but my situation wasn't urgent. Anyway, rather than fret about it, I quit drinking. The problems are resolving without the alcohol. I will see my doctor when I return to NY. I just wanted you to know that I understand about health worries and how they can cause depression and anxiety. You've already done what you can do - quitting drinking, watching your diet and exercising. You will see your doctor soon enough. Meanwhile, try to calm down. You'll be okay.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I was making myself crazy with perceived health problems while I was drinking. I'm much older than you, so I perceived that my symptoms were the 'beginning of the end'. My ankles were also swollen and I worried about ascites. I thought about my bathroom habits, thinking my kidneys were shutting down. Of course, if I stopped to think about it, there were logical reasons for my issues. I sat at the computer most of the day with my knees bent. The weather was hot. I was eating salty food and lots of carbs. My bloated abdomen was likely the result of an almost 35 lb weight gain. You did great seeing your doctor, but my doctor is in NY and I'm in Florida. I could have gone to Urgi-care, but my situation wasn't urgent. Anyway, rather than fret about it, I quit drinking. The problems are resolving without the alcohol. I will see my doctor when I return to NY. I just wanted you to know that I understand about health worries and how they can cause depression and anxiety. You've already done what you can do - quitting drinking, watching your diet and exercising. You will see your doctor soon enough. Meanwhile, try to calm down. You'll be okay.
I'm very much similar. From September to January I spent most of my time at the desk on a tight schedule for a client. I did my morning exercises and then didn't move all day except to use the toilet. At that point I was drinking daily too. Sometimes 4 pints, sometimes 8 -10 pints a night towards the end. At the same time as sitting at the computer.

As a result I can no longer sit at the chair without my feet feeling puffy. I've installed an app that alerts me every hour to do 5-10 mins exercise. I'm going to give that a shot.

I've no doubt I've damaged my legs over the years. My wife said to me "You had this problem 3 years ago when you wanted a stand up desk". It resolved itself. Heart problems are probably a little far fetch. Statistically I'm too young for heart disease. But you know what it's like when the anxiety takes over. It's difficult.

I'm about to start my citalopram again for anxiety. I have a full box from January that I didn't take when I was drinking. My doctor thinks I'm still taking them ... oops. I just can't deal with the side effects.

Thanks Rar, you've helped me to think differently and calm myself down.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I have a Fitbit that buzzes every hour for me to get up and do 250 steps. I frequently end up doing more. Reminds me to not sit so much. My doctor wanted to put me on an antidepressant too. I've tried several over many years and I found the side effects too much for me. The cure was worse than the disease. They are a Godsend, though to many people.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

well done you 1 month is a great start.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done, 16Years!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done, 16Years!

Mood swings are so common in early times; give it time.