Notices

Day 48 - Struggling tonight.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 48 - Struggling tonight.

I’ve got 48 days in recovery. That’s huge for me that’s more time then I have sober my whole adult life. I feel better, I look better, I’ve been doing well — so why do I want to drink??
I heard someone at AA recently say that if you think about drinking - think about if you’re willing to place all of the things you hold dear on the bar in exchange. I am trying!!
I have a lot to lose. I have great AA connections, great friends here, a great child that needs me. She’s so happy I’m not drinking, I’m so happy I’m not drinking. I just need to get through this craving and get on with it.
I have today and I am not going to drink today. They say it’s simple, not easy...right???
Old 03-07-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there the feeling will pass tomorrow will be a new day thinking about you stay strong you can do this
Old 03-07-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You got this Komp.

Have you practiced urge surfing? I find it to be the best way to separate yourself, especially your true self, the self you know you want to be, from the urges to feed your beast.

Your presence on these boards has been one of the voices that's carried me through to this point. 48 days is dope.

Simple as not drinking today. Think of how you'll feel tomorrow morning. Especially when you look that child in their eyes.

Stay strong Komp, no one is coming to save us.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd always heard the more *challenging*,.. or more difficult days we ( I ) will all invariably anticipate in early sobriety were the days I'd make the most "progress" in sobriety . So I just went with that idea,....and still believe it .

Hang tough tonight,..... I always felt an increased quite strength in my resolve the next day .
Old 03-07-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Komplex, I'm sorry you're struggling, but you got this. One thing that helps me is to remember the worst things I experienced while drinking, and every time a romantic or relaxing thought pops up, I immediately conjure up something terrible in its place. Also, keeping in mind that no one takes a drink after 48 days, and is happy they did. Please stick close to SR, we are here to help you get through this.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that the further you get away from that last drink the easier it gets and that the harder it is to resist the better and stronger the recovery becomes afterward.

Just hang on. Do the next right thing - even if that means cuddling up with Ben & Jerry in front of Housewives from Wherever or going to bed at 7PM.

Keep the streak going. Today is the same as yesterday and you didn't drink then! It is soooo worth it to push past this.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Komplex. I was struggling today too and early on started to count the hours until I go to bed. I was going to suggest what BB suggested and that is to go to bed at 7:00 if you need to.

" that the harder it is to resist the better and stronger the recovery becomes afterward. " I hadn't heard this before. I like it. Thanks BB.

You have a great streak going Komp. I'm glad you chose Day 49 and not Day 1. You can do this!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
You got this Komp.
Your presence on these boards has been one of the voices that's carried me through to this point. 48 days is dope.
Simple as not drinking today. Think of how you'll feel tomorrow morning. Especially when you look that child in their eyes.
Stay strong Komp, no one is coming to save us.
LG - thank you for your kind reply! It means so much to me that we can be there for each other. I’m going to check out urge surfing once I put my angel to bed. Thank you thank you!!!!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Komplex View Post
LG - thank you for your kind reply! It means so much to me that we can be there for each other. I’m going to check out urge surfing once I put my angel to bed. Thank you thank you!!!!
Same here Komp. Here's what Dee had copy and pasted into the post way back when, it's revelatory if you really let yourself do it. Says me:

Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

A technique known as "urge surfing" which harnesses mindfulness can be helpful for people who are experiencing cravings. Originally developed as a tool to help people struggling to battle alcohol and drug addiction, urge surfing is now being used to help people with overeating, gambling, compulsive shopping, smoking and other compulsive urges.

The idea behind urge surfing is that cravings come in cycles, like waves. They grow in intensity, before crashing and losing their power. By delaying gratification, and taking time to identify your thoughts, feelings and physical sensations at the time, coupled with learning to sit comfortably with your urges you can learn to let them go, and not act on them.

I often find that people confuse urge surfing with simply sitting on their hands and waiting for the cravings to pass. While delaying action can help some people, urge surfing is a more proactive approach that involves listening to your mind, heart and body. For example, where do you notice the craving on a physical level? Are you feeling tension in your shoulders or a gnawing feeling in your stomach? How does your mouth feel? What thoughts are you experiencing? Notice those thoughts and observe them calmly. Keep breathing calmly and steadily and let the thoughts pass through your mind like a video or audio reel.

Instead of battling the urge (or wave) ride it out and wait for it to crash and for cravings to disappear. When you give in to the urge, and give yourself the "fix" you crave, it only increases future cravings. By learning to ride the wave and let it go, over time you will notice cravings are less frequent.

This is a technique that takes time and patience, but if you're prepared to invest the time, it can pay big dividends. The catch is that most people find that the urge to smoke, drink, eat or gamble is so strong, that they forget that this tool is available to them. One good way to get in the habit of using mindfulness to combat cravings is to practise meditation or mindfulness daily, even if only for 30 seconds.

Any time I mention meditation or mindfulness in my workshops, the majority of the students get a glazed look in their eyes, and start fidgeting and complaining that they can't sit still for that long, let alone keep their thoughts focused on candles, mantras or clearing obsessive thoughts. My solution is to start with small achievable goals.

Most practitioners recommend spending 20 minutes a day in meditation. However, for the purposes of beating cravings 30 seconds may be all you need to stop your thought process and reorient your thinking into a more healthy pursuit. Urge surfing can also be adapted to help people with panic attacks or any form of obsessive thoughts. When you have compulsions or cravings, you need a way to interrupt your thoughts before you take action. Mindfulness, or urge surfing, can achieve exactly that.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m hanging close!! I love some of the things you friends wrote. I liked reading that these tough days will strengthen my recovery, do the next right thing, and that no one drinks after a sober streak and is glad they did!

You guys are stars. I’m going minute by minute right now, but you make it so much easier.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're right, it is simple but not easy. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wheres your HP in this,komplex? got phone numbers you could call,too?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
wheres your HP in this,komplex? got phone numbers you could call,too?
Thanks Tomsteve. I had a rough day and night. I reached out on SR, I got on my knees and prayed, and reached out to recovery friends. Grateful to have tools on days like this! Grateful to be going to bed sober and stronger having overcome a bad night.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so happy and relieved to read this. Made my night.

Sleep well Komp. Very good work.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Komplex, are you going to bed now? Yay, you made it!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow wow WOW!!! I wanna be you!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Komplex, are you going to bed now? Yay, you made it!
We made it! One more day!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thankful for your honesty. It's baffling as they say. We have all these good things and still the brain wants you to drink. Glad you posted here first. Congrats on 48 and 49 and beyond!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Komplex - how are you doing today?