Notices

Moving Forward toward Sobriety

Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving Forward toward Sobriety

Day 6 for me. Yesterday was a good day. Today, not so much. Woke up with a headache, fogginess, and tired. Didn't sleep well last night. I feel like I have a hangover, but I don't! Argh! I hate withdrawals.

Not much I can do about it except ride it out and hope I start feeling better as the day progresses. I am drinking a lot of water and eating healthy. Will probably take a nap later in the day.

Determined to make this quit stick! This is my 4th rodeo and I am soooo tired of drinking my life away. I really want my life back. I want to live again!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Six days is great, keep going!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

6 days is great and I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day seven here. It sucks..the mood swings and anxiety are brutal. My apatite is non existent and my sleep wrecked. Not my first time down this path but I need to make it my last.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the frequency of your drinking?
I am a binger, generally 2-3 times a week I'd go for a 12 pack (or better). Fortunately the hangovers we're so bad I never wanted to drink the next day. That coupled with working nights kept me honest. Nonetheless, it still crept up on me and has greatly impacted my health and well-being.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice work - day 6 is great.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scramm View Post
Day seven here. It sucks..the mood swings and anxiety are brutal. My apatite is non existent and my sleep wrecked. Not my first time down this path but I need to make it my last.
If you don't mind me asking, what was the frequency of your drinking?
I am a binger, generally 2-3 times a week I'd go for a 12 pack (or better). Fortunately the hangovers we're so bad I never wanted to drink the next day. That coupled with working nights kept me honest. Nonetheless, it still crept up on me and has greatly impacted my health and well-being.
Thanks for sharing.
Hi Scramm,

I was drinking 3-4 glasses of wine (about a bottle) every day. I've been drinking this amount for 40 years. It may not seem a lot to some people, but 40 years of daily drinking has taken its toll on me and it is time to put the bottle away. Time for new adventures that don't involve drinking.

Yes, the mood swings and anxiety are the worse part of quitting. You have a whole week of sobriety, so hang in there for week 2, than 3....
Old 03-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A bottle a night is two glasses of wine in my 🏠 😉. It takes it's toll, that's for sure. Good for you for taking this huge step. It will get better.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back seekingforme

D
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hooray! No headache this morning! Fingers crossed that I will have a headache free day. Also the fogginess has lifted. Mood so far is good, trying to keep it balanced and avoid the swings which can be exhausting.

I'm going to the beach today for a walk and lunch. It will be nice to breath in some fresh ocean breezes, listen to seagulls and waves crashing on the shore. I plan on bringing my camera and taking some pictures.

Today will be a good day!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Glad you're feeling better Seeking. Fresh air will do wonders for you and the beach will be particularly soothing. It always is for me. Even a pool help me. Hang in there and congratulations on a week of sobriety.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hooray! 9 day of sobriety. I am grateful for that.

Still have a headache that comes and goes and sleep disturbances. I am hoping these will stabilize in the next few days. Has anyone else had headaches and sleep problems after quitting and if so for how long?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 11. No headache today, sleep last night was okay. Emotionally, feeling pretty good.

I haven't had any cravings yet for alcohol. Historically though, whenever I have quit alcohol in the past, my 3rd and 4th weeks are usually filled with cravings, questions to myself such as, "do I really need to abstain completely from drinking, perhaps I can allow myself to drink 1 day a week?" and justifying why it would be okay for me to start drinking again. Week 3 is right around the corner and I am bracing myself for that addictive voice to kick in and filling my coping toolbox with tools to help me defeat that voice, such as reminding myself of my nasty hangovers.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seeking, I'm 42 days in from wine and the cravings are running rampant. I'm going through the justification in my head and having a hard time combating it. I didn't have hangovers. My motivation for it is not losing my memory, driving at night, not getting injured from stumbling and falling, and not getting nasty. That was when I was drinking vodka. Broken ankle, badly sprained ankle, and broken shoulder/torn rotator cuff within 6 months of each other. Wine didn't resolve my memory loss, shakes, or weight gain. And I still want to go back. And I don't. What a paradox.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
Seeking, I'm 42 days in from wine and the cravings are running rampant. I'm going through the justification in my head and having a hard time combating it. I didn't have hangovers. My motivation for it is not losing my memory, driving at night, not getting injured from stumbling and falling, and not getting nasty. That was when I was drinking vodka. Broken ankle, badly sprained ankle, and broken shoulder/torn rotator cuff within 6 months of each other. Wine didn't resolve my memory loss, shakes, or weight gain. And I still want to go back. And I don't. What a paradox.
Cali,
It's crazy right? Intellectually, we know it's not healthy for us (weight gain, strokes, dementia, injuries, broken relationships, the list goes on) yet our ego will work every angle looking for justifications for us, making it so difficult for us to stay on the road toward recovery.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 11

D
Old 03-17-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Morning! Day 16 for me! I am still getting headaches on and off, however, my sleep is getting a little better. I've always been headache sensitive and now that I've not been drinking even more so. Last time I quit, I had headaches for 3 weeks, so hopefully, I am nearing the end of my bout with these headaches. Our stormy weather last week or so doesn't help either. Not complaining about the rain though, we appreciate any rain that hits our area since we can months without rain.

Have a awesome day everyone!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 16 days SeekingForMe

D
Old 03-27-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 26 for me! *****! It's been a while since I posted. Fortunately, I've been extremely busy and really haven't thought about drinking at all. I'm still avoiding my "drinking friends." I have mentioned to a few of them that I'm no longer drinking and guess what? Not one of them have called or texted me since I told them. It doesn't make me sad, actually relieved. I knew the only thing my husband and I had in common with them was drinking. It's also been helpful that my husband isn't drinking either. Makes quitting so much easier.

Except for the occasional mild headache, the bad headaches I experienced during the first 2 weeks of my quitting alcohol have pretty much gone away. I am thankful for that!
Old 03-27-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on 26 Days!
Old 03-27-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Seeking,

Congrats on your progress. I think you are doing great!

There's a lot in your story that is familiar. I too drank wine.. about a bottle a day, every day, day after day. I tried to quit numerous times, but always, like you, could eventually justify that I "wasn't that bad" and would start drinking again. I'd go right back up to a bottle a day. Then I started hiding it, because I was sick of announcing I was quitting. Then I'd try to quit in silence, it wouldn't work, and it would begin all over again. FOR YEARS.

Don't be me. Even if you weren't drinking 4 bottles a night, what you were drinking was harming you, your health, your mind, your work, your loved ones, your motivation, your life -- no question. You deserve better. Trying to let it back in to your life in ANY amount will doom you.

I've been alcohol free since last May. Everything in my life is better.

I had to accept NO wine, no alcohol, EVER. And once I did, it was incredibly freeing. It's so much easier. And once you get the sober time, with your body and mind healing more and more every day, the easier it gets.

If you want to read my boring story it's here https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rate-stop.html (Wine drinking woman, desperate to stop)

Love reading your updated days! Keep going!