Notices

British Newby

Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

British Newby

Coming to the end of day 4 sober and now getting very short tempered. Just smashed some pyrex dishes as they wouldn't stay where I put them when doing the washing up. Now have plaster on as cut my fingers.

Stopped drinking because of very significant weight gain and started to get hip and knee problems........all the other chaos alcohol has created in my life clearly wasn't enough to stop me. Have a boy who lives with me full time and I want to be around for more than just another 5 or 6 years. He needs me.

Never been on a forum before and never sought any support before.....been swimming and going to the gym in order to replace the booze with something.

Hope being here helps keep me on the straight and narrow.........thanks for reading..........J
Old 03-06-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you are not alone being cranky in early recovery. I think it's something that many of us go through. But, it will get better. Going to the gym and swimming are great ideas to help your recovery.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hiya & Well done on day 4 ...
I totally sympathise with the crankiness ..
I'm on day 12 & one evil bitch !
Missing my evening glass of wine... the craving really hasn't subsided yet for me...so eating chocolate .. popcorn like it's gone out of fashion...
It will get better ...eventually ..we've just got to suffer these first few weeks

Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
It's normal to get cranky once in awhile.
I've been sober nine years and still get cranky. It's a personal reaction. Early sobriety will bring about some changes in your mood, though. Only one way to find out, stay sober!
It really does get better, and you've got someone who needs you.
Stick around and wishing you the best. It's a great and self-rewarding journey, sobriety.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Stay sober cause it gets better.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Garvo

D
Old 03-06-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Garvo!

I'm glad you decided to join us.

Exercise is an excellent addition to any recovery plan.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place for encouragement, garvo.
I remember being very anxious & edgy in the early days. Everything settled down. We're learning to live in a new way - be patient with yourself.
Congrats on your 4 sober days - something to be so proud of!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Garvo!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Garvo. Glad you found us.

Restless, irritable and discontent. That is the natural state of the undiscovered sober alcoholic. Plus this is VERY early days so you will be fighting against just doing what you usually do as a matter of routine.

The good news is that if we work on our recovery this will only be a temporary state. The good thing about being sober is we get our emotions back, but as you're finding, this can be a double edged sword. Try to breathe through those moments of stress. The anxiety. The rage. The fear. They all feel strong enough to kill us but they have no real power if we choose to just notice them and let them go. Like clouds passing. Breathing exercises really helped me and many others.

HALT is a good thing to remember. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. These are all things that can affect out recovery badly. One of these is bad enough, but once there are two we can get very rattley.

Have you thought / read about recovery plans at all? If not, I'd strongly suggest that you do. I learned the hard way and resisted doing this for months. I was not in a good place at the end of that time. At all! But, when I finally did decide I had no more cards to play and started working on my recovery things quickly improved.

This thread of Dees is a great place to start.... https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...y-plans-1.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

Anyway. Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. Keep reading and posting.

BB
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Garvo,

Welcome, and you are off to a great start with the exercising, We can all do this together.
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is a success" Henry ford
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Brit and
Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the encouraging replies...........I have not been tempted to drink so far but I think that one of the reasons I failed before was thinking that 'alcohol is a good friend' in that when problems arise or life goes wrong, it's there to help you cope......that attitude or mind-set is something I know many others have too.....but it is perhaps my biggest challenge......getting rid of that attitude after such as long time.........again..........I am really grateful for the support..........living on my own with a 9 year old boy..........no one else to discuss these issues with.......Garvo
Old 03-06-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome garvo.
I bought rubber crockery and lots of plasters when I started my recovery.
I believed alcohol was the cause and the cure to all my problems.
I thankfully found out it was the cause and sobriety was the cure.

Stay strong
You are doing well
Things will become so much easier and clearer.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done, lots of support here, I am on day 25 and I couldn't of done it without the support of everyone on this site, good luck
Old 03-07-2018, 12:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, garvo - lots to read here; stick around
Old 03-07-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Garvo,

explore the forums, lots of good info

reach out when you need to vent

and as others have said - make a plan

great job on getting some exercise

you deserve a better life - take it!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not sure about a plan..........taken a lot to even admit i have an issue and us British people are more reserved about such matters.....guess my informal plan is to keep busy, be more active and actually keep coming on here so I know I am not alone doing this. Self destructive behaviour is so enjoyable (at the time) and I think I need to find something enjoyable that doesn't kill me. Oddly after only 5 days I am walking much better and the dreadful hip and knee pain has gone. Not drinking at all, swimming and a bit of cardio really helps. I do know that I cannot drink in moderation, utterly impossible for me. Feel like I want to write the number 5 (5 days) on my wall at home! Thanks for the support and for somewhere to ramble on about it....G
Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

End of day 5 here in the UK and still sober.......no cravings so far but wait until something goes wrong in my life! That's the real challenge...........I don't I have the right to be offering any advice or encouragement to others as I have not earned that right yet.......I am still so early on in recovery.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, another fellow Brit. There are some professional support places here if you need them, I was referred by my GP.
It's early days for you, keep posting on here, there's always someone around!