Notices

3 Days Sober

Old 03-04-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Days Sober

Hi,

This is my first post. I am a daily wine drinker of 40 years. 40 years of consuming alcohol on a daily basis has taken its toll and I am ready to stop. I am hoping this website will provide me the support I will need. Looking forward to interacting with other members and hearing about their journeys.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello SeekingForMe, welcome to SR.
Glad you found your way here.
There's plenty of interacting here. All good and lots of encouragement.
I drifted in here almost 5 years ago and been staying sober since.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I was a daily wine drinker too. I started with one glass, went to 2, then 1 bottle, then 2 bottles and then 2 bottles and a shot of gin. I am recently sober (January). I have to say physically I do feel much better and I know I am saving money. I do have anxiety around the time I used to start drinking so I've been posting on here when it gets bad (which still is almost every night but people tell me it will get better and I am trusting them).

Welcome. I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I was a wine drinker too. One to three bottles a day, all day, every day.

But with the support here, I've been sober over 8 yrs now and going strong.

I hope we can do the same for you.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Seeking. It's great to have you with us.

I drank 30 yrs., so I know what you're going through. I'm so glad you realize it's time to stop. Reading & posting here helps us to not feel alone. You can do this!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks so much for the positive responses!

I know that choosing sobriety is not going to be easy for me. At this point in my life, everything I do is/was centered around drinking. All my friends, my husband and family drink. All our activities have been centered around drinking. The fact that we live very close to wine country doesn't help either.

Due to medical reasons, my husband has to stop drinking for the next few months, so I decided to stop also. Not only for him, but for me also. I've wanted to quit for over a year now and knew the time to do so was now.

The challenge for me will be finding a new way to live my life that doesn't involve alcohol. Right now we are both isolating from the outside world since we are both a little on edge right now.

I love to read, walk, hike and garden. So I plan to renew my interests in these activities.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, that was the hard part for me - learning to live in a different way. You sound very positive about this change in your life. Unfortunately, I was resentful. It took me a while to see how joyful life could be without it. Now I realize I was foggy & numb half the time - not really living a full life.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Yes, that was the hard part for me - learning to live in a different way. You sound very positive about this change in your life. Unfortunately, I was resentful. It took me a while to see how joyful life could be without it. Now I realize I was foggy & numb half the time - not really living a full life.
Yes, I know deep down inside it is going to be a challenge for me. Especially 2-3 weeks down the road. I'm ready for this, though. I'm ready to say goodbye to hangovers, fogginess, and being disconnected from my feelings.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi SeekingForMe,

I'm on Day 3 too. Big Wine drinker but more bingey every 3-4 days. I'm 39 and have realised for the last few years i haven't achieved much with my life and I can't allow that to happen. Also not enjoying life much these days so thoughts had started to turn dark. Realised I haven't got much to lose by quitting. It's got to be better than risking my health, job and relationship.

Good luck with your journey. X
Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SeekingForMe
It's not easy but support really helps.

Glad you found us

D
Old 03-06-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hugbear View Post
Hi SeekingForMe,

I'm on Day 3 too. Big Wine drinker but more bingey every 3-4 days. I'm 39 and have realised for the last few years i haven't achieved much with my life and I can't allow that to happen. Also not enjoying life much these days so thoughts had started to turn dark. Realised I haven't got much to lose by quitting. It's got to be better than risking my health, job and relationship.

Good luck with your journey. X
Hi Hugbear! I'm glad we both realized it is time to stop abusing ourselves and seek out a better life. Have a nice sober day!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR, SeekingForMe.
I found that I can go for about 3 months and then have a serious binge. No stopping me after that first drink. So no matter what Don't Have Just One. Your AV will trick you into thinking that you can handle it. The whole cycle begins again but, we do get smarter and stronger.