Notices

Day 16

Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16

Today is day 16.. i havent been dry this long in a very long time. Physically I feel okay but not yet 100 percent. Also last night I had two nightmares. One where my home was invaded and family was shot. I woke up in a panic and made my daughter sleep in my room. I went back to sleep and dreamed I was at a furneral of a unknown person and was stealing food. But on the car ride home my son was hanging on the windshield lol are these nighmares normal after quitting drinking?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 16 days toni, that's great! Yes, nightmares are very common during early sobriety. If you think about it, when we were drunk/drinking many nights we didn't even get REM sleep much because we were basically passed out. Now that your brain is clear of alchohol, it's "waking up" in a sense and stretching it's legs. They might seem scary, but they are just dreams...and they don't necessarily mean anything bad.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Tonisherrell. I registered just to tell you congratulations on your 16 days!!! That is a big deal. I remember how angry I was because I wouldn't drink. But that passed as I got more comfortable with my sobriety. I am a slow learner. It took me awhile to figure out the answer to the question, if I don't drink what do I do. I had a lot of selfishness to overcome before I really started helping others. Anyway, hang in there. It gets easier. I had a few nightmares around the time I quit drinking. Before and after. They gave me something to think about rather than my not drinking
Old 03-04-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Toni,

I had crazy dreams as I slowly healed.

I still have them now, but not always. The dreams sometimes leave me traumatized and it takes me a while to calm down and go back to sleep.

But, It is awesome waking up a strong as possible, drug free.

I periodically think this: The only way I could ever rationalize waking up with a hang over was ok was because I was physically addicted. A relapse today would be sad for me, my family, my coworkers, and for many here.

It will never happen.

I hold myself accountable. Accountability is huge in a normal life. Whether it is to ourselves, our family, our boss...accountability is what keeps this addict clean.

I have good and bad things going on these days. Each day I am able to face these things with a good conscious knowing I am all that I can be.

It is what feeling normal is all about. I am not there yet. I still crave and think about relapsing when things go good and when things go bad.

If it wasn't for SR, I would have relapsed hard many times by now.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.. i cant wait for the bad dreams and aniety to leave.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

They will toni - congrats on day 16

D
Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over two weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

16 is great, congrats.

I had and continue to have some serious dreams since stopping 26 days ago. Couple were disturbing - especially the drinking dream that I think many people can relate to.

But then the sleep comes eventually and it just feels so good to look forward to sleep. I hadn't for years and years - I just passed out.

Now I know what non-alcohol abusers mean when they say they like to sleep! To think I hadn't really experienced what we spend half our life doing for so long.

Stay strong and congrats.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

16 days

You are definitely sober physically. Mentally takes a long time. Like a lifetime for me. It should not define us for the rest of our lives.